in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-10-2007 11:30 AM by soundproof. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-09-2007 1:49 AM

The power of BeoLab 3

Yesterday was a wonderful morning, so I took my BeoLab 3s outside, connected them to an Airport Express and sat in the open air enjoying the music. Something I've done for years, though not with the BL3s - it was a first for them.

They were mounted on stands, behind me on the patio - and though I had my back to them as I looked across the water I got a nice, stereo soundstage as Gluck's Orphée et Eurydice "wafted" towards me. 

No room reflections, just the pure sound.

In fact, the word "wafted" above was probably a wrong choice, "thundered" would be more like it. These small speakers have power -- a power that became clear when my neighbour, who is quite far away from my house, showed up by the brook dividing our properties.

He said something, and I couldn't hear a word. And when I tried answering, I could barely hear my own voice, had to turn down the volume. 

"What on earth are you listening to? Do you have an orchestra there?" 

So he came over to have a look. I had been playing way too loud - though the recording must have been particularly good as I didn't get any of the distortion that usually kicks in at top volume on the BL3s. (It could also be a result of there not being any room reflections).

We turned up the music, and walked over to where my neighbour had been sitting, half a football field distance away from me.

Loud, clear music. Very loud. I should be ashamed. 

At any rate, my neighbour is getting a pair of BL3s, he loved the setup. 

• 08-09-2007 2:29 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Re: The power of BeoLab 3

VERY cool, you must be feeding those speakers steroids, because you always have wacky stories with your BL3's, and people vowing to buy a pair!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-09-2007 2:46 AM In reply to

David:
    VERY cool, you must be feeding those speakers steroids, because you always have wacky stories with your BL3's, and people vowing to buy a pair!

I guess that if I were to take the BL5s out on the patio the birds would drop out of the air ... Big Smile

Yes, I think I'm becoming quite an advocate for BL3s.
    Several of my friends have bought their own after experiencing them as headphones at my place.

I even mentioned the headphone use to the editor of a hifi magazine where I live. He had been in Struer for the BL9 launch and had come away with a very favourable impression of the BL3s. He asked me to write a brief description, which he printed on his letters page. That seems to have started a lot of curiosity in hifi circles here (Norway) about BL3 headphones.

(I should confess that I occasionally have professional contacts with B&O - but I am in no way just plugging the BL3s. They simply are marvellous speakers when used for what they do best.) 

• 08-09-2007 3:00 AM In reply to

soundproof:

David:

I guess that if I were to take the BL5s out on the patio the birds would drop out of the air ... Big Smile

More than likely - but probably vultures to feed on the broken body having lifted the 5s! Laughing

• 08-09-2007 3:11 AM In reply to

Peter:
    soundproof:

David:

More than likely - but probably vultures to feed on the broken body having lifted the 5s! Laughing

I got a very convincing impression of the build quality of the BL5s when I saw a B&O technician move them. I had always thought that the disks were frail objects.

They're not - he grabbed hold of the lower disk, tipped the BL5 on its side, and rolled it as if it was a beer keg towards the setup position.
    I asked whether that was SOP. "Learned it in Struer," he said.

• 08-09-2007 3:44 AM In reply to

Nice BeoLab 3 story!

The speakers are great, and I´m so happy that I bought mine to replace my Bose setup. It amazes every visitor.

During the vacation I visited a trendy café in the town Helsingborg in south Sweden. They had a nicely installed BeoSound 9000 and a pair of red Beloab 3 in two of the corners of  the café. They did a terrific job filling this café with cool lounge music. 

/Claes 

Happy owner of: BV10, 2 x Beocom 2, Beocom 6000, Beocenter 2, Beolab 3, Beolab 2000, Beo4, Beolab 11

1:st prize winner Beoworld January Price Draw.

• 08-09-2007 3:45 AM In reply to

That's the only way you are able to move a BL5! The (lower!) disk is constructed that way so it can be carried by 2 people.. or keg rolled by one person :-)

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 08-09-2007 3:55 AM In reply to

kuyttendaele:

That's the only way you are able to move a BL5! The (lower!) disk is constructed that way so it can be carried by 2 people.. or keg rolled by one person :-)

I was still amazed when I first saw it. Said something about the thinking behind the product! Of course, you don't want to ruin the cloth, and you really would break your back just holding it at the bottom (while the whole thing would be unstable) - but it still looked very smart. (Particularly if you've struggled with behemoth passive speakers that can't be rolled.)

• 08-09-2007 4:11 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

Nice story and a great sales pitch!  

When I orderd my Lab5 I could not wait for two weeks for the first available installation slot so I picked them up myself and had to bring them up to stairs from the garage to the living room....I will never ever do this agian, (and I guess my friend who helped me will not show up again for that job  anyway :-)) )

I would love to hear them outside for a nice summer garden concert!

Karsten 

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 08-09-2007 2:55 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Great story Soundproof
    Very poetic and paints a picture in  my head.
    Any chance of some photo's?
    BTW what does SOP stand for?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 08-09-2007 3:43 PM In reply to

Standard Operating Procedure - (SOP)

Your wish is my command. Note how cleverly the BL3s have been matched to the dock's night-lantern! 

Apologies for the exposed wiring. Big Smile 

(Usually I have them connected to a DAC's analogue out, but I didn't want to overload the cable down to the dock.) 

• 08-09-2007 4:04 PM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

WOW!! Not to bad!

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 08-09-2007 4:12 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

soundproof:

Standard Operating Procedure - (SOP)

Your wish is my command. Note how cleverly the BL3s have been matched to the dock's night-lantern! 

wow! great story and wonderfull picture. I think I'll come and spend my holidays at yours. It keeps raining over here...No - thumbs down

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 08-09-2007 4:19 PM In reply to

tom:

wow! great story and wonderfull picture. I think I'll come and spend my holidays at yours. It keeps raining over here...No - thumbs down

You'll have to hurry. I've recently sold the place, after nine wonderful years here.
    Closest neighbour is rarely home and a good distance away, which means I have been able to play music at a comfortable volume outdoors without bothering anyone. (Until I unleashed the BL3s, ahem).

Moving to be close to where my next place is being put up.

• 08-09-2007 4:40 PM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

Brilliant! That looks like a really nice listening spot!
  • 08-09-2007 4:48 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

It certainly does! I could imagine being there with mist rising off the lake...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-09-2007 4:53 PM In reply to

Alex:

It certainly does! I could imagine being there with mist rising off the lake...

It's actually quite nice to sit outside and listen, in a quiet spot. And it's very quiet here. You get absolutely no room reflections, of course, just the direct sound -- can be most revealing, and enjoyable. 

View from the dock:

• 08-09-2007 4:56 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

And difficult for a speaker, it'll have to work as hard as it can to reproduce the correct amount of bass. I agree though, I've listened to my far-field monitors outdoors before, and they really sound far better!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-09-2007 5:01 PM In reply to

Alex:

And difficult for a speaker, it'll have to work as hard as it can to reproduce the correct amount of bass. I agree though, I've listened to my far-field monitors outdoors before, and they really sound far better!

Yes, the bass has nothing to work off. But using the BL3s like this, close in (headphones!), gives a distinct foundation to the sound.

(I added a shot of the lake in mist for you.) 

• 08-09-2007 5:02 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Now that is beautiful! Any way you can get a higher res version up? I'd love that as a wallpaper (if you don't mind)...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-09-2007 5:03 PM In reply to

That's actually a compliment. PM me a mail address, and I'll send you a copy.

• 08-09-2007 5:23 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

You have a PM Wink

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-09-2007 6:34 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Wow, and you're moving out???

I said your original post conjured up a picture in my head, and this is exactly what I had in mind!
    I reckon you could win prizes with that second photo'.
    Thank you for sharing that with us.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 08-09-2007 10:42 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Maybe it's the ABR's being free that makes it possible to sounds so awesome outdoors, and keep a coherent level of bass. The sound muddles when you turn them up in a confined space.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >