in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-06-2008 11:12 AM by Russ. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-06-2007 4:57 PM

• andyv
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-05-2007
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

How to connect B&O Active Speakers to a non-B&O pre-amp/amplifiers

I have an old B&O system at home and contemplating of replacing the B&O's AV7000 pre-amp to a non-B&O. All my speakers are B&O's active speakers. Also, I have multi-link setup in 3 rooms. First question is - can I connect my B&O active speakers to a non-B&O pre-amp? are there any adapters for the speaker cables (I think I have 7-pins)? will this be a line-level connection? Second question is - any suggested/recommended pre-amp/amp? thanks, AndyV
  • 08-07-2007 9:44 PM In reply to

• Ryan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Toronto
    • Posts 29
    • Bronze Member

Re: How to connect B&O Active Speakers to a non-B&O pre-amp/amplifiers

Hi Andy, if you want to use a regular surround processor, probably the easiest thing to do would be to re-wire using RCA cables. I assume your active speakers have a line input as well. They will turn on when there's a signal. The problem with this is that they will turn off when there's no sound for a couple minutes, so you may have the surround speakers (or even the front ones in very quiet movies) clicking on and off (I have first-hand experience with this).  The powerlink 7 pin is a line-level signal but it also sends a signal to turn the speakers off and on.

Taking away the B&O components really makes it hard to use the multi-room though. Have you considered getting a beosystem 1 processor. They are going cheap used ($1500 or so it seems). Might be a good upgrade if you want dolby digital, etc.   What is it that you dislike about the current setup?

If you list out what components you have, someone will probably chime in with a suggestion.
  • 08-08-2007 5:36 PM In reply to

• Beophile
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

If you plan on doing a full surround setup, then ask your dealer about the "blue box".  It has RCA leads in and powerlink out.  The box is light blue in color.  I have never seen on in person but I have heard of it and have seen one on eBay once.
  • 08-09-2007 11:54 PM In reply to

I think buying a used beosystem is sort of tricky unless you get one of the few screens that actually works with it. If I recall correct, panasonic worked besides B&O but not much else.

There are surround amps with regulated line out (i.e. you can control the volume, so it's not a steady line out). If your speakers don't have a line switch, there is a way to supply them with a 5Volt power so they switch on and stay on.

Personally I don't see any other acceptable way way then buyng a B&O TV. You spend a fortune on speakers, why fiddle with that and downgrade it with converter boxes. I was eyeing the AV7000 quite frequently on ebay but just feel it would be best to save up for a BV7, hoping that a smaller one comes out some time soon.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 06-06-2008 9:20 AM In reply to

• rex
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-03-2008
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

i have a similar problem. i want to connect an airport express to my 7.1 active speaker.i need an adapter  with a trigger  to power up the speaker. any  hints of where to source one from???
  • 06-06-2008 11:12 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Hi Rex,

assumig that you're in the US, this is the NA forumStick out tongue, you can order a non B&O-DK part 898127 which ought to take care of your issue.  Similarly, to complete a thought earlier in this thread, the 'blue box' part number (in the US) is 898125.

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)