in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-24-2008 12:08 PM by beoperson. 33 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-02-2007 12:38 PM

New addition to my B&O product line. BeoSystem 1 - questions and concerns

Hello all, it's been a while since I have posted here.
    I have been relatively passive acquiring new B&O products. I will be honest I have not bought any B&O item for last two years, well upgrading BeoCom 6000 to BeoCom 1 setup don't count ;)
    However I'm getting back on track. Just purchased (finally) BeoLab 2 to go with my BeoSound 9000/BeoLab 8000.

And now I've bought BeoSystem 1 for very reasonable price - I have to admit, I just could not refuse the offer.
    Anyways, wanted to ask some questions and share some concernes about BeoSystem 1.
    I no longer have B&O video products since I've sold my 2 BeoVision MX's.
    My primary reasons for purchasing BeoSystem 1 are:
    1. Integration of non B&O products into one system controlled by Beo4
    2. Home theater setup. (less important ;)

Few questions on connections of BeoSystem 1 (after reviewing the manual):

1. My HITACHI 42"HDS52 TV does not have serial connector but equipped with 2xHDMI and 3xComponent.
    Looks like BeoSystem 1 needs to connect to TV/Projector via serial connector (top panel of BeoSystem 1)
    Is there adapter available from serial to HDMI and will it work properly?
    Or correct me if there is other way of connecting TV to BeoSystem 1.

2. Controlling TV with Beo4 via BeoSystem 1.
    According to BeoSystem 1 manual:
    If TV is equipped with IR transmitter - connect to IR Control on BeoSystem 1.
    TV has 2 IR connectors labeled IR Blaster - is it a same thing?
    My understanding that blasters are used to send IR signals and not receive, or perhaps IR connectors work two way?

Thanks in advance with your inputs

David (BeoPerson)
    David the BeoPerson
  • 08-03-2007 8:49 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

Re: New addition to B&O product line. BeoSystem 1 - questions and concerns

My guess is that the Hitachi is not one of the supported Plasmas.  Meaning yes it can probably all work but you may need to do some serious work arounds.  As someone who has wrestled with the BS1 over the last few months I can say that it is a fine unit but certainly has it's quirks and certainly was not designed to work too far out of it's intended use with specific B&O products.  There are some very powerful features in the box but unfortunately they are implemented in a way to keep your average joe from accessing those. This is NOT going to be a saturday morning session.  Not even a weekend unless you are pretty seasoned.
            If you are serious about this then I suggest reading up on the unit extensively (service manuals, setup guides, forum posts) as there is alot to know about this unit and it's idiosyncrasies and not a whole lot of readily available information.  Also, the North American version (as this post was moved from that Forum)  is very different so most of the extremely helpful forum experts in the UK and Europe are handicapped in there ability to answer questions.
        My guess is that you will have to get a VGA to Component convertor (not adaptor) to get signal to the Plasma.  I'm assuming there will be little if any quality loss but I don't have experience with these converters so I can't say for sure.  Some converters may be better than others but i believe that they start around $100+.
        For integration with B&O you probably have two possibilities.  If you are lucky your plasma may have auto-sensing abilities and turn itself on and off as the BS1 sends video.  If you are really lucky you can disable the onscreen display so it does not superimpose (eg.) "Video1" etc. on the monitor.  This would be important to get seamless B&O electronic curtain startup and shutdown.
         If that doesn't work your second option is to use something like a Lintronic unit for integration and control over your Plasma.  Although this is a very reliable option it complicates things.  However, it opens a world of possibilities for integrating other 3rd party products with the BS1 and your Beo4 (DVD tuner etc.)  This is the route I took and installed my Lintronic box to recieve all incoming Beo4 signals from the 'Eye' and to then distribute commands accordingly.  It is a superb solution but.  However, it is completely custom and may require a tremendous amount of trial and error, time, energy and willingness to learn some very technical things.  It took weeks before I started to get a handle on how to implement my lintronic but it was very rewarding when I was done.  
        Be sure to read Beophile's post at this ongoing thread.  If I had seen that three months ago it would of saved me a tremendous amount of trouble shooting.

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/thread/35848.aspx

-Michael

• 08-03-2007 9:58 AM In reply to

Appreciate your response, Michael!
    To give you a little feedback - this BS1 comes from acquaintance of mine who has exactly same setup as mine with the exception of Plasma display. It was setup with older Fujitsu plasma. BS1 was entirely configured by B&O authorized dealer and was controlling STB box from cable company. My STB box is same brand but later model with DVR capabilities (Scientific Atlanta Explorer HD8300) so I'm hoping most of the setup will work as is.
    My Hitachi does have auto sensing capabilities and I believe I can disable on screen display (by the was it has motorized stand which was B&O like feature of this TV!), so I should be OK there.
    Did not think I would need a convertor Sad if I knew I would probably have bought plasma with VGA input. But in the meanwhile I will shop around for a good converter.
    Interestingly HITACHI has VGA connector but users manual states: "Do not connect anything to this terminal. Specifically for Service use only"
    I will play with a little -  perhaps I can get it work.

We are also planning to move to a new house sometime in October, and my trials with BS1 would make me decide if I should keep this unit. I realized it would be great challenge to get this black beast up and running but I think I'm up for it.

I plan to take one step at a time approach. Starting with TV, then STB (if I have these two working I will definitely consider keeping BS1) and then DVD and DVD-R. I will reserve Lintronik option as plan B for now.

I also plan on purchasing another plasma or LCD screen soon as we are move and I will make sure it will be one with VGA input and I will not need converter.

By the way I did read Beophile's post and saved it for my references, excellent post!
    Thanks again,
    David

David the BeoPerson
  • 08-14-2007 9:06 AM In reply to

Finally gave it a first shot at connecting BS1.

(I did only Video connections, should not have any audio connection problems since it would be all B&O)
    1. BS1 connected to STB (Cable Box Scientific Atlanta HD DVR 8300)
    STB component output to BS1 Component input (DTV In section on Top panel)
    STB S-Video and Audio L+R out to BS1 STB Inputs on the back (Did not connect Data)
    STB Control - BS1 Control

This settings worked perfectly - BS1 had older model of STB listed however all controls worked including DVR recording etc.
    I was really excited - finally I can loose ugly STB remote!

2.  PROJ/SCREEN VGA cable connected to  VGA input on Key DIgital KD-VA5 VGA to Component Video Adapter.
    and Component Output to PLASMA's Component Input.
    (My HITACHI Does not have VGA input)

3. BS1 turns TV on/off however TV goes in to screen saver/stand by mode. With which I probably can leave unless it's not recommended in Screen's user manual - I will check.

The problem is in HD content! I have picture on the screen - but it's not HD. Screen detects 480p on all channels.
    I started playing with cables - looks like BS1 does not use DTV-in sockets. S-Video Cable I have connected from STB to BS1 is the only source BS1 using. It does not use Component Input. When I disconnect S-Video cable to STB there is NO signal!

Do I need to somehow set BS1 to use DTV-in and not STB video input connections?
    I don't seem to find DTV IN settings in the external connections menu. User manual does not specify this.
    Please help!

David the BeoPerson
  • 08-14-2007 2:22 PM In reply to

• Beophile
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Hi there.....there is an easy fix for your situation.  Do not connect the cable box to the BS1 using s-video.  Instead, connect the cable box to the BS1 using a component cable (3-wire cable).  The component input connection for the BS1 is on top of the BS1 and not in the back with the other connections.  You do not need to make any adjustments.  The BS1 looks to component input first for each device and then goes to STB if no usable signal is found on the component input.  If you already tried connecting the cable box in this way it might be that your cable box is not set up properly.  Make sure you setup your cable box to output a constant 1080i signal.  In other words make sure your cable box outputs HD in 1080i and up converts SD into 1080i.  If you do the above you should find yourself in HD heaven. Enjoy!

Filed under:
  • 08-14-2007 3:01 PM In reply to

Beophile,
    Thank you for your comments!

I am connecting component Inputs to top of the unit as well. I use Pr, Pb, Y connectors, H and V are not used.
    When I removed s-video cable I've lost the picture.
    Possibly I need to shut down BS1 and restart to detect component input?
    Cable box is set to output 1080i only. To be on the safe side for my tests cable is tuned to HD channel.

I wonder if there is a way for BS1 to check input signal, to see if it's 1080i?
    One of things I've noticed in user manual that BS1 automatically sets aspect ratio to 16:9 when 1080i input signal detected.
    David the BeoPerson
  • 08-14-2007 10:09 PM In reply to

• Beophile
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

In that case the only thing I can think of is that the component connection can't be connected/disconnected while being viewed.  Try hooking up the component cables ONLY and try switching to another source (such as DVD) and then switch back to it.  Verify that you have the correct connections for the component cable......blue and green are easy to mix up.  Also, maybe the code you are using for the cable box is for an older non-HD box......try switching the setup for the cable box in the BS1 to generic PrPbY to check this.  Also, are you sure that your key digital device and/or TV can handle the resolution?  If it ends up being the cable box code then you can get the BS1 software updated and that should fix it.  Good luck and report back.

Filed under:
  • 08-15-2007 11:20 AM In reply to

Ok, finally resolved component input issue!
    Seems like I have missed settings on Cable Box - it was set to output not only 1080i but 480p as well.
    (I had to scroll up through all types to see that 480p is also checked off)
    Once I've done that I got picture in HD! Beophile, just as you predicted, thanks again!

But I'm not yet in HD heaven - HD picture is dark at times and occasionally has wide blue horizontal lines.
    Sometimes image brightens and looks normal but then with change of scene it darkens.

I will get new set of component cables I used regular AV cables - just for proof of concept - surely they are NOT suitable.

Plan on getting new component cables and ir/remote cables used for controlling other non-B&O equipment.
    Will keep posting the progress.

David the BeoPerson
  • 08-16-2007 8:59 AM In reply to

Just installed new Component cables - no change. Picture is dark and occasionally wide dark blue horizontal line appears on the screen.
    Will have to do more research on the converter box from Key Digital I use to convert VGA to Component signal.

Buy the way - If HD cable box has HDMI output and cable is connected to it - it will not output signal trough Component simultaneously.
    I had to disconnect HDMI cable on my Scientific Atlanta Explorer HD 8300 STB

David the BeoPerson
  • 08-17-2007 12:14 AM In reply to

• Beophile
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Oh Boy.....that's not good.  I am having exactly same problem with a Beosystem 1 I bought off eBay.  Video via s-video or 480p via component works fine....but 1080i via component is just as you described.  In bight scenes the image is OK but then in dark scenes it develops a wide dark horizontal banding....totally unwatchable.  Hopefully it is just your Key Digital Device.  Try hooking it up to another display if you can.  Also....we should stay in touch regarding this issue since we are both having the same problem.

I know that this type of issue (in general) usually happens when there is either:

1) A bandwidth issue at some point along the signal path, or

2) The video image is either positioned (Phased) too far to the left/right, or, the image is too wide.  While the image may be “filling” the viewable screen area, the display may be having difficulty finding the actual Clamp Pulse (Sync signal). The display will then be “Clamping” to the Peak Whites of the video signal; or rather, “clamping” to video, not the sync pulse.

Filed under:
  • 08-17-2007 11:05 AM In reply to

So I'm not alone here...
    You've precisely described my issue...
    I will test all resolution available to output by cable box one by one - to see if I have this issue with other resolutions.
    Also I can try connecting to another LCD screen I have which unfortunately does have VGA input either. So I can't avoid using converter.

Beophile,
    Are you connecting your plasma screen with VGA cable directly and what type of plasma  you are having problem with?

I also know that there is no problems with my BeoSystem1 since I got it from friend who had no problems with it.
    Will be in touch.

David the BeoPerson
  • 08-17-2007 12:20 PM In reply to

• Beophile
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Hi there....I am connecting my BeoSystem 1 directly to a Panasonic plasma and I also tried connecting it to a Panasonic projector.....same result.  Don't waist your time with the cable box....the Beosystem 1 only accepts 1080i or 480p over component.  Also, for me I have another BeoSystem 1 that I tried with the same cable box and do not have the problem......for me...its the BeoSystem 1.   The only difference between my two Beosystem 1s is the the one that is working has AP software version 5.0 while the one that is not working has AP software version 5.1.  Since we are both having the same problem I am wondering if maybe there is a software bug with the combination of AP software version 5.1 and older BeoSystem 1s. 

Do you by any chance know what software version your Beosystem 1 has?  You can check it by getting into the service menu.  You do this by going to the regular menu for the Beosystem 1 and then press 0 0 'GO'.  Then go to "US Box" and you'll see a listing of various software that is in the Beosystem 1 including AP software, CCDB software, and some prom. What AP version software do you have?  Also, DO NOT CHANGE ANY SETTINGS IN THE SERVICE MENU!   

The reason why I am wondering if it is the software is that there are at least two hardware versions of the Beosystem 1.  So maybe the new software is not compatible with the older BeoSystem 1s.  You can tell them apart by the number of cable tv/antenna inputs.  The older version as two inputs while the newer version only has one.  Both of my BeoSytems are of the older type.  Further, there may have been other hardware revisions in the history of the Beosystem 1 that I am not aware of. 

The good news for you is that it may just be your Key Digital box for TV.  If you can, you should really try another TV.....maybe a friend has one?  For me, I know its my BeoSystem 1.  Unfortunately for me....I did not discover this until months after I bought it.  I tried contacting the seller but never got a response.  I don't' blame him really.....I should have checked out the unit right away.

Another possibility is that this both of our units are showing signs of age......maybe this is how a Beosystem 1 ages...maybe there a capacitor that has failed over time....who knows......I personally am hoping its the software as that is easy to fix. 

Filed under:
  • 08-17-2007 2:25 PM In reply to

My BeoSystem 1 has label SW 5.0 on the back and it has two antenna inputs on top panel.
    I have not verified SW version in the service menu - but I will once I get back home tonight.

My other hope is possibility of faulty VGA cable - one I use is kind of old. I have talked to Key DIgital tech support and on of their suggestions was to check cables - they have mentioned that VGA cables may behave differently with 1080i resolution.

Also perhaps I can use computer monitor instead of TV to bypass KD converter, for this I will have to set appropriate screen resolution - which is 1080i compatible. I believe it's 1920x1600 @ 60 Hertz
    David the BeoPerson
  • 08-17-2007 3:14 PM In reply to

Just talked to BeoCare B&O tech support. They said that it may be problem with chassis and gave me part number as well as company who is servicing B&O in the NY area. Out of curiosity I called to get a quote for the part. They laughed when they heard that I wanted to replace chassis. Its about $4K, plus software needs to be loaded. Guy in Technitron asked if this was BS1 version with 2 antenna inputs and said that it's MK1 which needs HD modification - involves 3 chip replacements and software upgrade. He asked if I started experiencing this after I upgraded to newer plasma screen.
    He assures me that these modification which will cost me about $800 will resolve these issue.
    Honestly I'm not yet fully convinced and not ready to pay another $800 for upgrades of BS1.

David the BeoPerson
  • 08-17-2007 4:41 PM In reply to

I personally think that you are right and we are both experiencing problem with Clamp Pulse or Sync Signal problems due to the size of the screen AKA "Dark Banding/Streaking".
    I may also try changing service menu settings on my plasma screen. These would be things to try:

1. Reduce the Image Size until you see the Active Picture area of both the left side and right side of the video image.
    2. Center the Image on the Screen using the positioning controls of the Display Device only.
    3. Digital Displays will an additional sizing control labeled Pixel Clock, Dot Clock or just Clock, etc. This adjustment will expand the image to towards the Right while the Left side of the image should remain relatively fixed (somewhat).
    4. Use Horizontal Size, Positioning controls and Clock adjustment to center/position the image on screen. You will need to utilize all controls to achieve (massage) centering.
    5. Once the image is centered correctly, fully expand the image to the edge of the screen.

David the BeoPerson
  • 08-18-2007 12:40 AM In reply to

Service menu settings on BeoSystem 1

US BOX SERVICE MENU

Version
     - Box  v4.7, May 26 2004, built Wed May 26 2004
     - MCAD Id:17, Ver:1, Rev:29, PROM:3d
     - CCDB 4.7g

MONITOR

MONITOR INFORMATION

06 IC1  AP SW 5.o
    14 IC707 FEP SW 2.1
    BUILD DATE Feb 15 2005
    BUILD TIME 15:21:48

ITEM NO. 11090000
    SERIAL NO. 1529XXXX

PICTURE ADJUSTMENTS

WP-R  43
    WP-G  41
    WP-B  41
    BL-R  6
    BL-G  8
    HT BL-R  1
    HT BL-G  1
    HT BL-B  1

FILM MODE  OFF
    BLUE STR OFF
    BRIGHTNESS 37
    CONTRAST 18
    PANORAMA ON
    COLOR SYSTEM  NTSC

A/B SWITCH YES

PROJ./SCREEN SETUP

PROJ/SCREEN 0
    DELAY (SEC) 3
    CONTROL/DATA 560

TV TUNER SERVICE MENU

AFC  ON

LOW TUNE RANGE  54
    HIGH TUNE RANGE  810
    LOWER BAND LIMIT 160
    UPPER BAND LIMIT 454
    VHF-1 CONSTANT  161
    VHF-2 CONSTANT  146
    UHF CONSTANT  52
    SOUND   8
    SPECTRAL  17
    WIDE BAND  21

David the BeoPerson
  • 08-19-2007 10:50 AM In reply to

• beotex
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • USA
    • Posts 32
    • Bronze Member

This is a very interesting thread. I am having the same issues with my Beosystem 1 and Avant when I try to use 1080i feeds. I thought it was just problems with my DirecTV boxes, but apparently not. I had both of the boxes upgraded about a year ago to the latest chipset and CCDB. 
  • 08-19-2007 10:02 PM In reply to

• Beophile
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Beoperson,

You have AP software v 5.0 which is the same version I have in my working BS1.  The version Beotex and I would have in our non-working BS1s is v5.1.  Maybe it is not the software....or maybe its the software with certain internal hardware.  Still...its very odd that we all have the same problem.  Also, I very much doubt that that the 3-chip/software upgrade will do anything to fix your problem.  First off... only 2 of the 3 chips are used as all Beosystem 1s already come with the latest of the 3rd chips.  The other 2 chips are used to change the AP software version.  In your case they will bring you to version 5.1 from version 5.0.  Both Beotex and I have version 5.1 and it is not working for either of us.  Also regarding the $800.  That seems very high for this service.  The retail cost on the chips is $80.  It takes about 15 minutes to change the 2 chips that need to be changed and another 15-20 to update the software.  Trust me...I've done this many times.  That said I would not recomend that you do that yourself.

Beotex,

Note that for the US avant...when 1080i is input to the component input the signal cannot be displayed on the screen.....it can only be passed to the vga out (to a plasma or projector).....only 480p can be displayed on the screen via the component input.

Filed under:
  • 08-20-2007 4:18 PM In reply to

Beophile,
    There is a possibility that our BS1 bon't have HD Modification.
    Way to verify if HD Mod there is to remove black box with component cable inputs (2 screws) and using flash light to look diagonally towards left side of the opening. There should be blueish/gray or tan resistor if HD Mod has been done.
    I will have to look at mine tonight. SW should not have anything to do with that issue.
    HD Mod is fairly inexpensive I was quoted around $170 with the SW upgrade.
    David the BeoPerson
  • 08-21-2007 12:23 AM In reply to

• Beophile
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Beoperson,

The only HD mod that I know of is a resistor (i think) to correct for a pinkish picture (not sure if its for 480p or 1080i) with a certain device.  However, it may do something else or there may be another HD upgrade that I do not know of......I sure do hope this is it.  Are you going to try to get yours fixed?

Filed under:
  • 08-21-2007 8:56 AM In reply to

Beophile,
    That is correct, there is only one HD Mod and it's a resistor - fixes pinkish picture on some screens. However it also fixes switching problem from 1080i to 480p. As it was described to me - BS1 without HD Mod would fail to recognize component inputs when switched from other source. Supposedly BS1 needed to be shut down and turned back on. I have not checked if mine has HD mod but If it does not I think I will do the the upgrade. HD mod itself costs $34 plus labor (1-1.5 Hrs)

I have talked to technician in Atlantic Systems. They seem to be very knowledgeable on BS1 which is quite rare. Prices are also reasonable. I would need to ship complete unit to Massachusetts. But I would still be save compared to local company (Technitron) suggested by B&O who estimated $750 for HD mod and SW upgrade!
    David the BeoPerson
  • 08-21-2007 12:04 PM In reply to

• Beophile
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Beoperson,

I hope it works......the only thing is that our BS1s are not producing a pinkish picture and our issue is not a switching problem.... we are having with problem with displaying 1080i.   I would still do the HD mod however. 

Also, I do recommend Atlantic Systems.  I've used them several times before and have always been happy with the amount of time it takes, quality, professionalism, and price.  Maybe we can get them to look at yours, mine and beotex's BS1s at the same time since we are all having the same issue.

Filed under:
  • 08-21-2007 2:49 PM In reply to

Beophile, this sounds like a good Idea
    Perhaps then they can identify precisely what the problem is.
    Any time frame you have in mind?

I'm still trying to find another TV with VGA input to get BS1 connected to - no luck so far.
    But I have sharp LCD screen which i will try connecting later this week.

David the BeoPerson
  • 08-27-2007 8:42 AM In reply to

Finally I get to connect another TV to BeoSytem 1.

SHARP Aquos 32 LCD using component inputs.
    I'm getting same results, actually worst. Picture is noticeably shifted to the left. I've tried adjusting picture but no luck. Streaking is even more severe. Image is badly distorted.

David the BeoPerson
  • 09-13-2007 11:43 PM In reply to

Back to BS1 problem troubleshooting/experimenting:

Decided to rule out cable problem by connecting yet another tv, this time with VGA input connector directly to BS1.
    Same result - dark banding still present. Now I know for sure it's not cables or Key Digital VGA to Component convertor box.
    One thing I've noticed on this TV that image is really shifted to the left. Tryied correcting by playing with display ajustment - not even close.
    Image ends about 1-2 inches from right edge of the screen and there is a black vertical line.
    I feel this is what causing image distortion.
    Also have noticed when turning on/of BS1 and curtain is not completely open picture is perfect. Once curtan reaches the edges of the screen picture darkens.

Unfortunately in the service menu of BS1 SCREEN GEOMETRY Option is disabled and I cannot tweak the screen position.
    I wonder if anyone know how to adjust image position?

David the BeoPerson
Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >