in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-01-2007 10:12 PM by Jacoll96. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-01-2007 2:06 PM

Connecting two Beomasters to a single pair of speakers

Hello –

I have a question that will no doubt make the experts wonder how some people can know so little.   I have Beomaster 5000 (connected to a Beogram CD50) and a Beomaster 5500 (connected to a Beogram 1900 turntable, Beogram CD5500, and Beocord 5500).  I also have a pair of Red Line 140 speakers.  I’d like to listen to each system over the speakers (at different times, of course).  Could I splice the speaker wires so that both receivers are connected via “Y” splices to the same set of wires that run to the speakers?  My concern is that it would harm the non-operating receiver (which will still be in standby mode) to receive the signal generated by the receiver that is in use.

Thanks for you help.

Jacoll96 (John)

• 08-01-2007 6:09 PM In reply to

Re: Connecting two Beomasters to a single pair of speakers

John:

What you propose is a VERY bad idea. Damage will surely come to one if not both receivers.

What you want to achieve can be done with a speaker switch box (but not just any.....get some help with choosing the right one). If you have basic soldering skills, go to an electronic supply store and buy a double pole double throw DPDT switch. You will need two switches one for each channel.

Derek

• 08-01-2007 10:12 PM In reply to

Re: Connecting two Beomasters to a single pair of speakers

Derek -

Thank you.  I had a sense it might be a bad idea.

John

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)