in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-21-2008 4:21 AM by Erik-nl. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-31-2007 10:30 PM

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

Beosystem1 and rs232

Finally got around to hooking my BeoSystem 1 up to my new Panasonic TH-50PH9UK.  I was wondering if the RS232 works with it like it does with the BV4?  Is it supposed to turn on and off automatically or anything?  If so mine is not doing that.  According to the European guide you have an option in the service menu to select the BV4 in the Plasma version setup, otherwise RS232 is disabled.  On my North American version the Service menu is a bit different and the closest thing I can find is a section refereing to PROJ/SCREEN SETUP which contains CONTROL/DATA with numbers 0-30+.  I have no idea if this is refereing to RS232 control data or not.  All I know is that I'm getting errors in the service menu reports that indicate that RS232 on / off commands are failing.  Any experience or advice.  I don't know of any way to get the North American service guide as it is not offered on Beoworld.  
         Of course it's easy enough to get the Plasma to turn itself on and off by itself with input auto sensing but if there is a way to get it to work seamlessly then I'd sure appreciate some advice.

-Michael

• 08-01-2007 10:42 AM In reply to

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

Re: Beosystem1 and rs232

While only connecting such a screen to a Beosystem 2 EU, I connected a PC using a cross-cable to see what was coming out of the Beosystem. I'd suggest you do the same so you can check that the BS1 is indeed sending something out. I did upload some time ago the sequence of commands that the BS2 sends along to the Pana panel with the input commands that the panel accepts and what they mean , but I suspect that this would be rather irrelevant to you.
  • 08-01-2007 11:05 AM In reply to

• Beophile
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Your setup should work........In the PROJ/SCREEN setup change the number to "560"  This should work but you need at least software version 4.7e for this code to be included in the Beosystem 1.  If you do not have the latest software for the Beosystem 1 and it would not be too much trouble to bring it to a B&O shop or repair shop.....I suggest you get the latest software (and not just the code converter database...get the chips updated while your at it....version 5.1 for the chips is the latest).  Also if 560 does not work try 557 and if that does not work try 555....those may work.  Panasonic changed the RS232 command beginning at the D7 panel and the above codes are for the Beovision 4 50" based on the D7 panel.  I have found the newer codes (560) to work better on the newer Panasonic commercial plasmas.  Good luck and enjoy!

Filed under:
  • 08-02-2007 7:07 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

Great thanks guys.  Also, what does the CONTROL/DATA do?  Does it need to be set to anything in particular?  I think mine came as 0 or 1 but I can't remember. 

-Michael

• 08-02-2007 9:04 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

Beophile,
        I keep getting "ccd query" failed messages for all three codes you gave me.  The BS1 case has a sticker that indicates that it is or has been upgraded to version 4.9 but the service menu indicates 4.7g. Should I go ahead and get it checked out?
         Also I think I figured out that the Control/Data needs to be set to "0".  Anything other than 0 gets errors from the on/off commands saying that the device may not exist.  At least with zero I just get the query errors that seem to indicate that the device isn't responding according to the 560/557/555 code strings.

-Michael

• 08-02-2007 9:05 AM In reply to

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

As far as I am aware, the commandset still works with D7 onward panels - although it is likely extended. It would be good to get a copy of the latest set. I attach the D6 command set, which works with the D7 anyhow.

Regards

• 08-02-2007 11:37 AM In reply to

• Beophile
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

mhodges,

My apologies...I may have told you to set the value in the wrong place.  Try setting CONTROL/DATA to value to "560" and PROJ/SCREEN to "0".  If that doesn't work then switch it such that PROJ/SCREEN is "560" and CONTROL/DATA is "0". Nevertheless, I do believe that CONTROL/DATA is used for sending RS232 commands and that PROJ/SCREEN is used for sending IR commands.  Thus it should be CONTROL/DATA that needs to be set to "560".

Your software level is fine.  In truth I'm not even sure what version 5.0 and 5.1 added.  Code Converter Database (ccd) v 4.7g should be OK as it will include most devices that you will attach.  However if you find there is a cable/satellite box/HD DVD player that you want to use but it is not in the ccd then you may need to get that upgraded.  I believe the current version is 4.7i. Based on your software level I would use code 560....However, if that does not work try 557.  Also, tonight I will try to post a list of devices in the ccd.

One other thing you should know.......the Beosystem 1 only has a single component input and that input can only support 1080i or 480p (an nothing else) and it does not like being switched mid stream.  In other words, what ever device you attach to the component input make sure it outputs a constant 1080i or 480p resolution.  This is usually an issue with cable boxes.  Also I would use 1080i and not 480p as you are better of sending a 480i signal using an s-video connection to the Beosystem 1 and having the Beosystem 1 convert the signal to 480p (looks better to my eyes).  Also, if you find that you need more than one component input....your Beosystem 1 supports an external component switcher (AP software 4.7 and up supports it).  The only external component switcher supported is the Zektor HDS4 which has been discontinued.  However, I would assume that it does work with the HDS4.1 however.  If you need more info on this let me know and I'll fill in the details.
         Also.....one other Beosystem 1 oddity......if you are using digital audio connections make sure you also hook up analog audio connections if you intend on linking the Beoystem 1 using masterlink.  The Beoystem 1 only routes audio to masterlink from the analogue audio connection and not the digital connections....not a big deal but it is nice to be aware of.
       One last oddity relates to base redirection if no subwoofer is used......my suggestion is to use a subwoofer and avoid the issue. 
    Hope this helps.....enjoy! 
  • 08-02-2007 3:08 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

Thanks for all your input.  You are correct that I had it backwards.  Apparently the previous owner used a projector.  That sure explains alot.  Seems to be working.
         Your last post, Beophile, should be standard reading for anyone setting up a Beosystem 1.  I'm fortunate enough for my dealer to have thrown in one of the Zektor switches for free.

-Michael

• 08-02-2007 8:04 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

Correction! I thought everything had started working but I discovered an unusual problem.  When I start a source on the BS1 the unit powers up the Plasma, starts the sound but does not display any picture.  I see a few subtle dark flickers on the Plasma as if its changing sources a few times and then nothing.  If I switch sources ( on the BS1) now that everything is already on I can get often get it to start displaying picture.  Most of the time I can start the display by hitting the Beo4 menu button wich seems to jolt the picture on as well.  At first I thought it was the plasma having the problem but now I suspect that it is the BS1 either miscommunicating with the plasma or simply having a hard time sending picture.  
         I've factory reset the plasma to make sure it was not some odd setting that I changed during testing.  Now I'm trying to troubleshoot the BS1 to see if there is anything there (delay settings for RS232?).  I've tried all three codes that Beophile has suggested and they seem to all produce the same result.  The Plasma seems to be liking the RS232 commands it's getting other than the picture problem at startup.  Color, levels, shutdown with curtain etc. seem to be operating properly.
        Any suggestions?  It worked fine untill I changed the communications number from 0.  However, I'm not convinced I necessarily have the wrong code with 560.

-Michael

• 08-02-2007 9:35 PM In reply to

"One last oddity relates to base redirection if no subwoofer is used......my suggestion is to use a subwoofer and avoid the issue."

Beophile, great read but your "oddity" regarding bass rediredftion has me a little curious.  I am not using a sub with my BS 1, can you elaborate a little on what this oddity is?  I have BV 4, BL 1's, BL7-2.  Not using a surround setup yet.

Thanks

Roger 

• 08-06-2007 11:20 AM In reply to

Beophile,
    Could you elaborate please on this statement:
    "One other thing you should know.......the Beosystem 1 only has a single component input and that input can only support 1080i or 480p (an nothing else) and it does not like being switched mid stream.  In other words, what ever device you attach to the component input make sure it outputs a constant 1080i or 480p resolution.  This is usually an issue with cable boxes."

Cable box indeed will send 480i via component to BS1 if tuned to non HD chanel.
    What effect will it have if cable box is switched from HD to non HD or 1080i to 480i midstream? Is there a workaround other than having external component switcher?

Thanks

David the BeoPerson
  • 08-08-2007 3:52 PM In reply to

• Beophile
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Sorry for the delay in responding to your previous questions......in any case........

mhodges,

Did you ever resolve the issue?  I would stick with the 560 code.  There are no other RS232 settings that I am aware of.  I think I know the issue you are referring to. I have a Beosystem 1 hooked up to a TH-42PH9UK and sometimes experience the same issue.  My other Beosystem 1 that is hooked up to a BV4 doesn't experience that issue.  For me the image will usually pop up after a second or two and if it doesn't I hit the source button (TV, DVD, SAT, etc) again that I'm trying to use and that usually does the trick.  I do not think there is anything you can change on the plasma that will make this better.  If there is, it would be in a service menu and I couldn't even guess what that would be.  I haven't found it terribly annoying and considering the money saved by not going with a BV4, I can certainly live with it.  Enjoy!

Did you ever resolve the issue?  I would stick with the 560 code.  There are no other RS232 settings that I am aware of.  I think I know the issue you are referring to. I have a Beosystem 1 hooked up to a TH-42PH9UK and sometimes experience the same issue.  My other Beosystem 1 that is hooked up to a BV4 doesn't experience that issue.  For me the image will usually pop up after a second or two and if it doesn't I hit the source button (TV, DVD, SAT, etc) again that I'm trying to use and that usually does the trick.  I do not think there is anything you can change on the plasma that will make this better.  If there is, it would be in a service menu and I couldn't even guess what that would be.  I haven't found it terribly annoying and considering the money saved by not going with a BV4, I can certainly live with it.  Enjoy!

R Patton,

I would consider getting a BL2 next....it adds a lot for movies and music.  This sub channel issue was most annoying to me when I had BL1s like yourself.  There a couple of issues actually. 

First, when no sub is used, the Beosystem 1 fails to properly redirect the LFE channel for DTS and Dolby digital bitstreams into the front left and right channel.  While it does mix the LFE channel into the front left and right channels, it does so a level that is way way to low and the level is not adjustable.  This is not a huge issue if you do not have a sub since your speakers are unlikely to reproduce the sub channel at a useful level anyway.

Second, when a sub is used (and connect to the sub output) and "speaker 2" is selected for a video source, the Beosystem 1 fails to send a signal to the sub at a proper level.  Once again, it is too low and adjusting the sub level up does not help.  What is strange is that when audio comes from a masterlinked source the Beosystem 1 sends the a signal with the proper level to the sub.  This issue was really annoying to me as I would like to watch concerts in "speaker 2".  I used a BL2 with my BL1s.  The BL2 can be hooked up to the Beosystem 1 in two ways.  In the first way, the BL2 is hooked up to the sub output and the BL1s are hooked up to the front left/right outputs.  In this arrangement, the second of the above problems is exhibited.  In the second way, the the BL2 is hooked up in line between the front left/right output and the BL1s.  In this setup, the first of the above problems is exhibited and it is a problem now since you are using a sub.  Thus for me, I had an issue no matter which way I hooked the BL2/BL1s up.

Thankfully B&O has finally come up with a solution to fix the above issues.  It is an external mixer called a "DTS box" and is sold to BL5 customers that are using a Beosystem 1.  This box mixes the sub channel into the front left/right.  From there you can send it to a BL2 witch is then connected to the BL1s.  Using this box should fix both the above first and second issues.  To be frank I have not tested this "fix" as I replace the BL2/BL1 with BL5s....and yes I use the "DTS box".

Hope this helps

beoperson,

The Beosystem 1 only has a single component input so if you want to add two or more devices that use a component connection, you need an external component switcher to do that.  The external component switcher does nothing more than expand the number of component inputs. 

From what I understand the Beosystem 1s single component input is only designed to receive 480p or 1080i.  To be frank I have not tried inputting a 480i signal via component into the Beosystem 1 so it may accept a 480i signal over component(but I do not think so and I wouldn't recommend it). Furthermore, unless some of the more recent software releases changed things, the Beosystem 1 syncs to the input signal for a source only when that source is selected.  Thus, if the signal is changed while it is being viewed it will lose its sync and the screen will do black (although pressing the source (DTV, SAT, DVD, etc) should force a resync).  To be frank, this is what I was told by someone and I have not personally tested this.  So it is possible that the Beosystem 1 can handle signals changing mid stream.  In any case, if this is an issue it is usually only an issue for HD cable boxes whereas the cable box outputs 1080i for HD and 480i or 480p for SD.  However, most cable boxes can be setup to output a constant resolution regardless if you are watching HD or SD.  My suggestion is to setup your cable box to output a constant 1080i signal.   Also note that the Beosystem 1 cannot handle a 720p signal. 

If anyone has any additional or differing information on the above please feel free to chime in.

Filed under:
  • 08-08-2007 7:08 PM In reply to

Beophile,

Thank you for the information.  I have noticed that the BL 7-2 produces most of the LFE when using Speaker 3 and the BL  1's are much more muted is the best way to describe the sound.

I'll have to ask my dealer about the "DTS box" if and when I get a sub.  I'm not too keen on the BeoLab 2, I prefer the Velodyne  DD series allowing more control than the "corner, wall, freestanding" options offered with the BL 2.  I would assume I would have the same issues regardless of which I use.  I'm sure the DTS box is not cheap but it may be the best fix.  (I wonder if the Beosystem 3 resolved these issues)

Great work! thanks again.

Roger

• 08-08-2007 9:39 PM In reply to

• Beophile
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

R Patton,

Remember, if using a sub, the issue only pops up when you use "speaker 2" on a video source.....thus if you do not do this it will not be an issue.  The "DTS box" isn't too expensive....I think it was $100-$150.  Also, I would only try the DTS box if I was going to use a BL2 and only if the BL2 was going to be in between the the DTS box and the BL1s .......for a non-B&O sub, I would just hook it up directly to the sub output of the Beosystem 1 and forget the dts box.  Also, I wouldn't rule out the BL2......I loved mine when I used it with BL1s.  In additionI would think that the Beosystem 3 doen't have these issues.

Filed under:
  • 08-09-2007 8:59 AM In reply to

Beophile,

Thanks for the additional information.  It will be very valuable when I upgrade my system in the future.

Roger 

• 08-10-2007 6:26 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

The rs232 issue between the BeoSystem and TH-50PH9UK was fixed with an upgrade (both software and chips) to the Beosystem 1.  The chips apparenty did not support the 560 code although the software could.  As of last night everything seems to be working perfect.

-Michael

• 08-20-2007 10:20 AM In reply to

Michael,
    Would you please list your BS1 service menu settings when you can?
    I would like to compare software and chip versions with mine.
    Thanks
    David
    David the BeoPerson
  • 12-04-2007 5:20 PM In reply to

Based on this thread, I tried the fix Beophile suggested and inserted this weekend the DTS box between my BL2 and my BL1 speakers and it seems to have solved the problem of having almost no BL2 output in speaker 2 mode. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • 02-19-2008 4:31 AM In reply to

• maxem
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-30-2007
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Hi,

I currently have a setup consisting of BL9, BL3, BL7.2 connected to a BS1. I have no subwoofer. I'm using the SPDIF inputs to have DTS and DD.

With this setup, do I need a DTS box to get the "optimal" sound?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Max

• 02-19-2008 2:39 PM In reply to

• Beophile
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Since you do not have a subwoofer, the lack of bass from the subwoofer in "speaker 2" mode when watching a video source is a moot point.  However, I would recommend that you get a DTS box if you want to be able to control the level of the LFE (the .1 channel of a 5.1 signal) channel.  With a Beosystem 1, when no subwoofer is present, the LFE channel is mixed into the left and right channel.  Thus, with respect to bass (sub base), your right and left speakers will be producing bass that was intended for the right and left channels as well as the bass mixed in from the LFE channel.  Typically, the bass that was intended for the right and left channels does not need to be adjusted but bass for LFE does.  Since you have no subwoofer, the level of bass for the LFE cannot be adjusted at the speaker.  Also, the Beosystem 1 does not allow one to adjust the level of the LFE signal being mixed into the front left and right channels.  My experience has been that with a Beosystem 1, when no subwoofer is present, the LFE channel is mixed into the left and right channel at too low of a level.  Then again, I have never tested this with a BL9.  Also I believe that the mixing the Beosystem 1 does do is for DD and not for DTS.  In any case, this is where the DTS box comes into play.  When using the DTS box you set the Beosystem 1 as if you have a subwoofer connected and use the box to mix the subwoofer signal into the left and right channels.  With this setup, the Beosystem 1 gives you the ability to control the level of the LFE (subwoofer) channel (for both DD and DTS) that is mixed into the left and right channels by the DTS box.  Given the likelihood that you are not experiencing the LFE channel at a proper level, I would recommend getting a DTS box unless you plan on getting a beosystem 3 anytime soon or getting a subwoofer.  Also, even if you do get a subwoofer, I would still recommend getting a DTS box if intend on using "speaker 2" mode a lot when watching a video source.  I hope this helps. 

Filed under: ,
  • 02-21-2008 4:21 AM In reply to

frog:
    While only connecting such a screen to a Beosystem 2 EU, I connected a PC using a cross-cable to see what was coming out of the Beosystem. I'd suggest you do the same so you can check that the BS1 is indeed sending something out. I did upload some time ago the sequence of commands that the BS2 sends along to the Pana panel with the input commands that the panel accepts and what they mean , but I suspect that this would be rather irrelevant to you.

Frog,

Will you share this information with the rest of us ?

Thanks

• 02-21-2008 4:21 AM In reply to

frog:

Frog,

Will you share this information with the rest of us ?

Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)