in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-12-2012 6:06 PM by Step1. 54 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (55 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-30-2007 2:21 PM

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Peter's Beolink 7000 ........Great fun!

Most of you will know that after winning the white 7000 system in the last prize draw, Peter kindly lent his Beolink 7000 to me.
    What a lovely piece of kit this is. I've been setting the programing to work my lights and radio.
    When I come downstairs in the morning, the radio is playing Radio Lancashire then at six minutes past nine (after the local news) it switches over to Classic FM for the rest of the day.
    Struggling a bit with the lights though. It wants to switch all my lights on in the evening whereas I just want light picture 1 (a corner light)
    Beautiful, easy program menu! It just 'asks' you what you want.
    It even displays "SAT" when I'm watching Sky on my Avant which is obviously one way!
    Having had the loan of this for just over a week, I have decided that soon I will get one of my own though perhaps with RDS.
    Thankyou kindly Peter, you are a true gentlemanYes -  thumbs up 
    I will be coming up to Gateshead in the next month or two on a family tree tracing expedition but if that's too long to keep the remote, just give me a shout.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-30-2007 2:27 PM In reply to

Re: Peter's Beolink 7000 ........Great fun!

You may regard it as a long term loan till you find a decent one of your own. I am using a projector clock at present instead of the 7000 - my wife prefers it as she can see it too! Projects onto the ceiling!
  • 07-30-2007 2:42 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Thanks PeterBig Smile
    Just a quick question. Am I right in thinking that all the timer plays I've set are stored in my Beomaster 7000 and not in the Beolink?
    If so, and I were to give it back to you today, would I be able to disable them with a Beo4 or Beolink 1000? Also, is there a limit to how many timed events I can store?
    Sorry, that's two questionsErm

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-30-2007 2:50 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Andy as far as I know the timer plays are stored in your Beomaster. Now I think I am correct in say if you set them with a BL7000 then you will need a BL7000 to change them. Chris(Medogsfat) had this problem with his Beomaster 7000. Previously someone had a set the timer with a BL7000 it was not until he got a BL7000 that he was able to change it.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 07-30-2007 3:10 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Interesting Craig.
    I'll have a good study of my manual and see if I can experiment with ideas to remove them.
    Might be handy for other Beoworlders with BM7000 problems.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-30-2007 3:36 PM In reply to

• Tibor
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Budapest, Hungary
    • Posts 36
    • Founder

Hi Andy,

Three weeks ago I purchased a Beolink 7000, now it is connected to a BeoVision MX5500 (as video master & also two way). So, I can confirm the time is determined by the master (in our case video), not the Beolink 7000 (unfortunately...).

But - programming through a BeoLink 7000 is definitely a fun !

Cheers, Tibor

Next step: BV7-40 or BS3 with projector ?

• 07-30-2007 3:49 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Hi Tibor. I bet you are like a child with a new toy!
    It's a pleasure using it isn't it. I must get one soon, did you get a bargain and which charger did you get?
    Hope you and Edina are both well.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-30-2007 4:46 PM In reply to

• Tibor
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Budapest, Hungary
    • Posts 36
    • Founder

Hi Andy,

Yes, we have to remain always as kids with new toys :-)

Three weeks ago I had a business trip to North Germany - so, before it I tried to bid on the German eBay accordingly and - I won :-) !

We could collect this BeoLink 7000 personally in Schleswig-Holstein. It was sold with the desktop charger.

The last BeoLink 7000 RDS was sold through eBay in Gernany for 349.00 EUR - which is I think a quite reasonable price.

Now a BeoLink 7000 floorstand is offered on German eBay for 369.00 EUR (as the minimum bid), but I guess it is too expensive - especially since I would take such floorstand.

As I could follow up, the price is mainly determined by the delivery - where to the seller is ready to deliver or just personal pick up is possible...

In the meanwhile I found locally a BeoVision MX5500 - for coins... So with the BeoLink 7000 it is a great fun :-)

Kind regards,

Tibor & Edina

Next step: BV7-40 or BS3 with projector ?

• 09-13-2007 5:10 AM In reply to

• Colin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-14-2007
    • Dorking, Surrey
    • Posts 35
    • Silver Member

Hi Peter,

I bought this Beolink 7000 on Ebay, to use with a BeoSystem 6500:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170139294014&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:11

It doesn't seem to be accepting a charge, so I guess I need new batteries. Graham recommended I get in touch with you.

Is this something you can help me with?

--
    Colin 

• 09-13-2007 5:37 AM In reply to

Not really as I need a new battery myself!! I'll try to find out though. As far as I am aware, one can actually make up a battery pack oneself but I will report back!
  • 09-13-2007 6:17 AM In reply to

Beo replaced my battery pack and it did cost me £100!!!

Only to learn that I could put normal rechargeable AA batteries in it.

p.

• 09-13-2007 8:10 AM In reply to

• Colin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-14-2007
    • Dorking, Surrey
    • Posts 35
    • Silver Member

That's interesting. I'll have to try opening it up. I don't suppose anyone has service manuals for the BL 7000 perchance ;-)
  • 09-13-2007 8:13 AM In reply to

It is on site here
  • 09-13-2007 8:22 AM In reply to

• Colin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-14-2007
    • Dorking, Surrey
    • Posts 35
    • Silver Member

Perfect - thanks.
  • 09-13-2007 1:34 PM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

Peter:
    You may regard it as a long term loan till you find a decent one of your own. I am using a projector clock at present instead of the 7000 - my wife prefers it as she can see it too! Projects onto the ceiling!

Without wanting to drag this thread too OT...

Re projector clock: I like that idea but always thought that they wouldn't really work well. What model are you using? Is it permanently projecting or do you have to push a button to project?

Thanks

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 09-13-2007 2:51 PM In reply to

Permanent projection - only visible when the room is dark which is fine. A friend gave it to us! Made by a firm called Oregon Scientific. Not B&O quality and as I have lost the instructions, not that easy to set up, but it works! It also shows the room temperature or the external temp if you switch on the external weather station. I believe it is radio controlled as well so is very accurate!
  • 09-13-2007 2:52 PM In reply to

On the battery front, NiMH batteries with solder tags are what are required! Looking into this!
  • 09-13-2007 5:44 PM In reply to

• PL212
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - Seattle
    • Posts 318
    • Bronze Member

You can replace the batteries yourself, you need five of:

NiCd AA Size 950 mAh Flat Rechargeable battery with Tab

Total price, about US$5...but unless you really like to solder five battery tabs together, with all the potential for (low-level) shock that entails, I recommend just buying the B&O service part. That will give you the five batteries all in a row, ready to go.

You'll still have to solder/twist together the wires that connect the battery pack to the 7000. And it is very, very tricky to get the whole thing back together again, the tolerances are very tight!

• 09-13-2007 5:49 PM In reply to

• PL212
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - Seattle
    • Posts 318
    • Bronze Member

I don't believe the 7000 charger will safely charge NiMH, but I could be wrong?
  • 09-14-2007 4:28 AM In reply to

• Colin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-14-2007
    • Dorking, Surrey
    • Posts 35
    • Silver Member

Thanks for the hint on the battery front, PL212.

I have to admit I'm tempted to go down the cheapo soldering route.

I will probably take a look at the weekend, and then burn myself, curse and then afterwards post a long entry here on how big a disaster this was, recommending nobody else try it.

Of course, I'm not even sure the batteries are the problem. The unit is not accepting a charge at all. 

• 09-14-2007 4:42 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

PL212:
    I don't believe the 7000 charger will safely charge NiMH, but I could be wrong?

NiCd and NiMH charging systems are pretty much identical (as are the cells themselves in terms of voltage profile under charge etc), the only provisor is that NiMH is generally more susceptible to failure due to heat and so tend to fair less well than NiCd when used in long term float charge applications.

Do not however attempt to charge Lithium cells with NiCd or NiMH chargers - you will be sorry.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 09-14-2007 4:54 AM In reply to

• Colin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-14-2007
    • Dorking, Surrey
    • Posts 35
    • Silver Member

So, it sounds like this battery pack might be the answer, or maybe this one?

• 09-14-2007 5:15 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Colin:

So, it sounds like this battery pack might be the answer?

If the cell layout is correct. The only other thing I would say on the charging theme is that sometimes NiMH may not accept low rates of charge as well as NiCd cells. Does the 7000 fast charge or is it a typical 10 hour trickle charge time??

Given the age of the 7000 I would guess the cell capacities are in the range of 600mAh. If it trickle charges then the charge current will be in the 50-60mA range. You may find that, for some NiMH cells, this current may be below a minimum charge "acceptance" threshold and they may not properly fully charge. For the cells you have pointed out a 60mA current would only be a C/35 charge rate - I would wonder whether this will be enough and I would definitely look for a cell data sheet to confirm their suitability first.

• 09-14-2007 5:22 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

OK - ignore all that, the data sheet (see attachment) says they're good with trickle rates down to 20mA. Seems you're good to goBig Smile

• 09-14-2007 5:30 AM In reply to

• Colin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-14-2007
    • Dorking, Surrey
    • Posts 35
    • Silver Member

Great stuff. Thanks for all the helpful advice, Puncher.

It looks like the seller isn't far from me - I'm going to try to go and pick them up over the weekend. if he'll go with that. Otherwise, it looks like it will be Monday or Tuesday till they arrive.

Which ones would you go with, TX Pack 6v NEW Technology Nimh+ Flat Futaba VAPEXTECH or RX Pack 6V 2400mAh AA Futaba Flat?

Page 1 of 3 (55 items) 1 2 3 Next >