in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-21-2008 12:41 AM by wongss. 41 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (42 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-27-2007 5:10 PM

Sad [:(] BEOGRAM 1700 problem with SMMC20 Soundsmith cartridge !

Please help me...

I bought and regret the  SMMC20 cartridge from Soundsmith, handmade they say.

I called a genuine B&O technician to install it and it wont fit in my BEOGRAM 1700 !!!

Soundsmith says it is high end, but it is ugly and the most important is that I wasted lots of hundreds of euros.

It is totally new !    Does anybody want to buy it ?

Why doesn't it fit ?  Are there different types of BEOGRAMs 1700 in the world with different holes to plug the cartridge ?

Soundsmith says it is made for 1700, but I just got a ...stroke yesterday with the technician …. !

What do I do now ?  I can assure you I don’t have that much money to waste...

Can I make it fit somehow ?

DO YOU WANT TO BUY IT, to get rid of it ?  I didn’t touch it, it is brand new !

PLEASE-PLEASE HELP ME  !!!!

Thanks,

Maggie

• 07-27-2007 5:30 PM In reply to

Re: BEOGRAM 1700 problem with SMMC20 Soundsmith cartridge !

I see no reason it won't fit. The SMMC20 range are a tight fit but I have a SMMC20EN and it fits on my BG4004 perfectly. I agree that the appearance is not as good as the original B&O cartridges but the sound quality is better. Where are you based? Maybe one of our members can help?
  • 07-27-2007 5:38 PM In reply to

I live in Athens, Greece.

The holes of my 1700 with those of the cartridge cannot be inserted to one another.  The B&O technician could not do it, and it was obvious with my simple eye that you cannot insert it.

Could there be different types of BEOGRAMs with different "holes" for the cartridges ?

What do I do now ?

DOES ANYONE WANT TO BUY IT ? 

• 07-27-2007 5:40 PM In reply to

Does yours have 4 small pin holes set in a diamond pattern?
  • 07-27-2007 5:52 PM In reply to

exactly !
  • 07-27-2007 5:53 PM In reply to

I guess that someone has replaced your MMC20 fitting arm with a MMC1-5 fitting arm. The 1700 was the basis for the turntable in the 7000 series of Beocenters and the last models, the 7007 and 7700 used the MMC1-5 range of cartridges. What cartridge was on the deck when you first got hold of it?
  • 07-27-2007 5:54 PM In reply to

You need an SMMC4. I would see if soundsmith will swap it.
  • 07-27-2007 6:05 PM In reply to

I never replaced the fitting arm.

If I have changed cartidge these old days, I have bought for sure an original one just like the one I had from B&O's store in Athens, Greece.

The courier is too expensive to send it to soundsmith.  And I will have to pay again 250 euros as a "gift" to UPS to do the customs duties to deliver it to my hands ....   no comment  :(  

I should probably sell it or never listen to a record again cause i am very angry.... 

• 07-27-2007 6:20 PM In reply to

That is the most stupid thing to do!

You got a great pickup in your hands. If it does not fit the Beogram then find another 1700 or another that uses the MMC20 range.

See the Beogram sections on this site for instance for the other models.

A Beogram without a pickup or a bad one is not worth much. Just make sure that your pickup will fit(bring it along) and that the Beogram works fine.

• 07-27-2007 7:16 PM In reply to

I just found a beogram 1700 with a MMC 20 S cartridge with stylus.

do you think this is OK to fit to my  SMMC20CL+    ???

• 07-27-2007 8:55 PM In reply to

If i buy this player as it is used and scratched, is it possible to replace my fitting arm with the used one i will buy ?

It is probably ok. with my SMMC20CL+  i guess, yes ?

• 07-27-2007 9:22 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Yes Maggie, if the arm accepts a MMC20S then it will also accept your Soundsmith SMM20CL: cartridge. I have just read this thread and must say you have been VERY unlucky Sad

But  you will really love your SoundSmith cartridge - they are exceptionally good.

As an afterthought - could this (Maggies beogram1700) be a converted voltage USA model BG1700 as I'm fairly sure the toneram for the USA BG1700 market took the MMC1 - 5 range as opposed to the European version with the MMC20** tonearm. Or posssibly B&O produced later models @ 1983 with this - either way I'm fairly sure I once owned/or have seen one of these with a MMC1-5 tonearmHuh?

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 07-27-2007 9:51 PM In reply to

Thank you !

tonight soundsmith offered to replace the cartridge with a SMMC1 and refund.

Which do you think is the best solution, mine or soundsmith's ?

To send to soundsmith the cartridge is waste of my time.   To receive the new one, i probably pay some money, not much they say cause i have the import papers from my first one... 

But i have already over 750 euros for this whole story  :(   

• 07-28-2007 3:22 AM In reply to

Get the SMMC1. If your turntable is in good condition, that would be the most sensible way to go. Don't even think of changing the arm as it will not be quite that simple!

If youi want to keep the SMMC20CL+, buy a Beogram 4002 or similar.  

• 07-28-2007 9:28 AM In reply to

The cost to return the SMMC20CL+ and get the cartidge you mention is too high., courier, taxes, etc.

It is cheaper to buy a used BG 1700 with an MMC 20 S cartridge with stylus

• 07-28-2007 9:49 AM In reply to

Could you publish a turntable photo?

Eugenio Colazzo

• 07-28-2007 9:58 AM In reply to

Maggie:

The cost to return the SMMC20CL+ and get the cartidge you mention is too high., courier, taxes, etc.

It is cheaper to buy a used BG 1700 with an MMC 20 S cartridge with stylus

Not a big surprise! The BG1700 and MMC20S were the bottom of the B&O range. The SMMC20CL= is the very top of the SMMC20 range. The 20S may not be in good condition either. How much did the 20CL+ cost you? If unused, I might consider buying it from you. How about if I buy you a SMMC1 and you give me the CL+?

• 07-28-2007 10:18 AM In reply to

NoBit:
    Could you publish a turntable photo?

http://www.beocentral.com/products/bg1700    

• 07-28-2007 10:26 AM In reply to

The price for a Soundsmith pickup is high and adding the postage is where its crazy.

Soundsmith sends their packets insured. When customs see that you are being charged.

I got a MMC2 from them and it was actually send 3 times to Denmark. Customs could not send a reply to me with the tax/customs cost so they send the item back 2 times.

The 3rd time I instructed Soundsmith to send it without a value on it. That worked like a charm but of course risky. Anyway packed right it will arive.

That MMC2 still sounds wonderfull.

• 07-28-2007 10:32 AM In reply to

Not a big surprise! The BG1700 and MMC20S were the bottom of the B&O range. The SMMC20CL= is the very top of the SMMC20 range. The 20S may not be in good condition either. How much did the 20CL+ cost you? If unused, I might consider buying it from you. How about if I buy you a SMMC1 and you give me the CL+?

*************************************************************************************** 

I bought it $689.95USD and I paid UPS & customs taxes 250 euros !

How much will your SMMC1 cost me ?   Is the sound same as my new cartridge's ?

I don't want to pay import taxes again and soundsmith found yesterday a way not to.  they want back mine and will give me a new one SMMC1 and refund.  The procedure will be if I send it by regular AIR MAIL, with the description "record player part, defective - being returned for repair".  then can send me one that does fit. This will arrive without import duty - you also have the receipt that you can show that indicates that you already paid import duty. 

• 07-28-2007 10:42 AM In reply to

I would just buy a new SMMC1  and send it to you when I got it. Straight swap and I live in the UK so there are no other taxes. However if Soundsmith are being so reasonable, I would go with them. They are a super company and each cartridge is handmade. I have a SMMC20EN, which I bought from a member who needed the money at cost price and have been perfectly happy with it. I was just seeing if there was a way to avoid you losing too much money but it would seem that Soundsmith are sorting that out for you.

Best wishes, 

• 07-28-2007 12:57 PM In reply to

Thanks so much, you are very kind :)

If they inform me a little better and check the costs, I will tell you if I maybe interested to swap cartridges with YOU.

The thing is I am afraid that my expensive cartridge maybe lost on its way to USA and then.... ?? 

Of course and surely there will be costs to send my cartridge to them AND to receive the new one...  nothing is absolutely free... 

I really don't know whats the best to do....  and safer....   and of course, cheaper....  :)

• 07-28-2007 12:59 PM In reply to

I am sure they will be reasonable! They seem very friendly!
  • 07-29-2007 6:40 PM In reply to

If you decide to buy the Beogram 1700 with MMC20S to fit your new cartridge to and the MMC20S appears to work fine, please let me know your price if you wish to sell the MMC20S! The MMC20S may be towards the bottom of the range but it is still a good cartridge! I have one on my BeoCenter 7000 and I am very happy with it but a spare would come in handy.

Simon 

• 07-29-2007 7:05 PM In reply to

I would like to sell my SMMC20CL+ cartridge !

Please give me your offers how much are you willing to pay for this cartridge.

In which country are you ?

I will use UPS courier. 

Page 1 of 2 (42 items) 1 2 Next >