in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-06-2008 12:34 PM by Peter. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-22-2007 5:34 AM

BEOVOX M100 SPEAKERS -REPLACEMENT "PEERLESS" FILLER DRIVER UNIT 11.5CM X 11.5CM

CAN ANYONE ADVISE ON A REPLACEMENT FILLER DRIVE UNIT FOR A BEOVOX M100 SPEAKER.

THE ORIGINAL SPECS OF THE DEFECTIVE DRIVE UNIT ARE :-

MANUFACTURER-"PEERLESS"

DIAMETER-11.5CM X11.5CM

IMPEDANCE -8 OHM 

• 07-22-2007 5:55 AM In reply to

Re: BEOVOX M100 SPEAKERS -REPLACEMENT "PEERLESS" FILLER DRIVER UNIT 11.5CM X 11.5CM

What is wrong with the olf one? It might be easier to get it repaired. Recone Lab did mine.
  • 07-22-2007 6:17 AM In reply to

Re: BEOVOX M100 SPEAKERS -REPLACEMENT "PEERLESS" FILLER DRIVER UNIT 11.5CM X 11.5CM

THE OLD SPEAKER IS DEAD . I HAVE DONE CONTINUITY CHECKS. THE COIL IS DEAD. DEFINITELY NEED A NEW DRIVE UNIT REPLACEMENT.
  • 07-22-2007 6:22 AM In reply to

They can rewind units if necessary. Worth contacting Wilmslow Audio if in the UK to see if they stock something similar. They are Peerless suppliers.
  • 07-25-2007 1:35 PM In reply to

PETER I HAVE GIVEN YOUR ADVICE SOME THOUGHT, AND I HAVE DECIDED NOT TO DISCOUNT YOUR ADVICE ENTIRELY, BUT OPT FOR A  DRIVE UNIT  COIL REWIRE AS A LAST RESORT. 

WHICH LEAVES ME WE WITH MY ORIGINAL REQUEST TO FIND A SUITABLE REPLACEMENT FILLER DRIVE UNIT.

ALL ADVICE WILL BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED.

TRIED AND TESTED ADVICE WILL BE MOST WELCOME.

MANY THANKS NAVIFLECK 

NB. PETER I SEE FROM OTHER EMAILS THAT YOU HAVE A BEOVOX M100 SERVICE MANUAL AT YOUR DISPOSAL.

ANY CHANCE IF YOU CAN FIND ANY OTHER SPECS FOR THESE DRIVE UNITS, FREQUENCY RESPONSE ETC. 

• 07-25-2007 2:14 PM In reply to

I am afraid the service manual is pretty hopeless! The frequency response of the drivers are not mentioned and the filler unit is not even given a frequency range. The other units have crossover values off550. 2500 and 8000 Hz. It does have a circuit diagram and component values but if you have M100s already, this doesn't add much!!
  • 12-10-2007 2:49 PM In reply to

A while ago I picked up a set of M100.2 's for free! They have terrible foamrot in the fillers, which I already have taken out. I plan to do it myself as in the thread of JandyT on his S120's In another thread on replacing foamsurround on woofers, Martin said that you have to carefull with this. As I understand the relaxed position of the speaker with no surround around it, is not where it should be with a surround. What (if any) should the offset be for the fillers? Or would you say, stay off it and let the pro's do it?

Matthijs.

• 12-10-2007 2:58 PM In reply to

Can't really help but I do know that Recone couldn't get a surround for the filler unit so did a cut and shut job - looks and sounds very good!
  • 12-10-2007 3:09 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Matthijs, I'm flattered that you are following my S120 refoam thread but do remember, I was quite lucky as the tolerance on the 120s is quite forgiving. I think in retrospect that I would probably use the shim method over the clothespeg method if I were to repeat the exersise.
    The bottle of Rum and the sledge hammer in the early photo's is not mandatory.
    Good luck mate and keep us informed.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 01-06-2008 10:32 AM In reply to

Hi everybody,

The fillers are in!!!

They look superb and sound fine. Probably still need some time to loosen up a bit. The job was quite easy, actually. As the spider of these smaller units is quite sturdy, Fred at Audiofriends.nl said that you don't really need the clothespegs nor the shimming method. So I used neither and hoped for the best. You just need two cottonsticks for slight pressure, straight down on the edge of the foam. Easy does it, and test while the glue is drying if the unit is still centered. For me in both cases no problem.

So now on for some new speakercloth and a revamp of the veneer (what have these previous owners been up to:( ) and when ready a new cap kit of Martin.

Matthijs.

PS I'll settle for a single malt and my crow bar stayed unused this time...

• 01-06-2008 12:34 PM In reply to

If they were anything like mine, the capacitors make a big difference! The ones fitted are huge as well! I attach the circuit diagram.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)