in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-23-2007 12:38 PM by Alex. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (25 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-19-2007 7:06 PM

Pictures - I realy miss them!

HI all!

This new Beoworld has truly been a success with prizes and all but... 
    I really miss the old photo section in the old forum.

How do I do today if I want to post som pictures to photo-section?
    For example it would be nice to have a personal photo section in the profile with pictures of your loved pieces.

What do you others think? Don't you miss this?

Best regards Ola
  • 07-19-2007 7:32 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Re: Pictures - I realy miss them!

It's something we've been batting around like mad for ages behind the scenes...

What do we all think?

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 07-19-2007 7:40 PM In reply to

I would love to show of my installation (when I finish it) Cool
  • 07-19-2007 7:44 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Bear in mind we can submit all images to Ed who can upload them for you!

The initial reason for not making photo upload a free-for-all was to stop spam (which we actually seem to have defeated!) and also to save memory space (which we have blasted into orbit already)..

Lee

• 07-19-2007 7:54 PM In reply to

• JOV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-28-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

Well, I think, we all have a voyeuristic tendency. I would love to see, how people integrate their B&O passion into their private rooms / houses / whatever. As usual money isn't a guaranty for good taste. In the old forum I often was thrilled by some very strange combinations of interior design and B&O. In both ways: Ugly stuff and brilliant design.

Maybe off-topic: For me, it would be very interesting, to learn, how some Beoworld-Members live with their home-automatisation technique (if B&O-stuff is a part of that). I would love to get some explanations together with the images. I think, there are some very very interesting concepts we all can learn from (and be a little envious)...

• 07-19-2007 7:55 PM In reply to

OK maybe i make it on my own homepage then, so you stay in orbit around earthSmile
  • 07-19-2007 8:02 PM In reply to

9 LEE:

The initial reason for not making photo upload a free-for-all was to stop spam (which we actually seem to have defeated!) and also to save memory space (which we have blasted into orbit already)..

Lee

OK, that's the way it works!

How about the structure?
    Now, it's very hard to browes all the photo since they all end up in the same bin without any possibilities to browse them by member/date/etc. Before it was easy to browse the the pictures of certain member.

Is it possible to add private pictures to the profile? (If it's not possible now, could it be possible without any heavy programming?)

Wouldn't it also be nice to clean up old "test-images under the photo-section. Yes -  thumbs up');" title="Yes - thumbs up - Yes -  thumbs up"> 
    (Sorry for the smilies, doesn't work so well with safari...)

/Ola
  • 07-19-2007 8:18 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Maybe make it so users with 20+ posts can submit pictures? That way you can be almost 100% sure that you aren't going to get any spam in the pictures area, although this may bring problems with people posting at every possibility on this forum just to reach the 20 post boundry.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-19-2007 8:41 PM In reply to

Good idea!
    Or that you have to ask Lee or any moderator to get rights to be able to upload pictures.
    /Ola
  • 07-19-2007 9:25 PM In reply to

• joynsyde
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-09-2007
    • Midwest, U.S.A.
    • Posts 130
    • Bronze Member

9 LEE:

Lee

I like the idea of being able to post a gallery of pictures of ones home/equipment as part of one's profile, with the option of adding commentary for each photo.  What about giving each member a picture quota (say, 25 pictures maximum, for example)?  All the pics could be compressed to the same size, so you know how much memory is allotted to each person. And the pictures should be submitted to a moderator and approved before being posted, of course. Maybe people at different levels of membership could have different numbers of photos allowed in their galleries.

...my two cents ~AJ
  • 07-21-2007 5:48 PM In reply to

Lee, is any of this possible to do with the current forum?
    Are there any unactivated features?

/Ola
  • 07-21-2007 6:36 PM In reply to

Alex:

Maybe make it so users with 20+ posts can submit pictures? That way you can be almost 100% sure that you aren't going to get any spam in the pictures area, although this may bring problems with people posting at every possibility on this forum just to reach the 20 post boundry.

@Alex

You have suggested several times that members should have "so many +" posts to be able to do "This" or "That".

I disagree, as i believe we should all be able to do the same as all members, whether Bronze, Silver or Gold membership, young or old, male or female.

To be able to do certain things with "so many +" posts would take away what this great site stands for and make it elleatist.

Never Mind The Ball-Cocks www.markmossplumbing.co.uk

A labourer uses his hands
    A tradesman uses his hands and his head
    A craftsman uses his hands, his head and his heart

• 07-21-2007 7:16 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Agreed, but this will prevent spammers from posting images in the galleries, and I think that's a MUCH better compromise than having to go through somebody else to post the images.

Also, it's unlikely that anybody would want to post pictures of their setup until they've spent a while on BeoWorld anyway...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-21-2007 8:45 PM In reply to

On the original beoworld circa 2002,  Steve began the "Beo Collectors" section which was available for viewing until the new site came along.  Unfortunately, Beo Collectors wasn't updated after the other gallery took off.  I don't think most know it existed.

IMHO BeoCollectors had the "best quality" pictures.  It seems that "photo gallery sections" across the web photo quality is not a concern,  just send everything you have and it will be posted.  I would hate to see BeoWorld go that route.  Quality over quantity any day, that's why I buy B&O Cool.

My camera is very low budget, but if the picture is out of focus or just doesn't look the best I'm sure not about to submit it or take up valuable space on what I consider to be the most informative/quality minded B&O website available.   I've posted very few photos on the web and the only place I have them now is on the B&O website.  When I move up from a non-paying member, I will post them here too, until then I will enjoy what everyone else posts.

Sorry if this seems to be a rant, I really love this site and visit several times a day.

Roger 

• 07-22-2007 4:34 AM In reply to

• BeoIce
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Recklinghausen, Germany
    • Posts 281
    • Founder

In my opinion it is a good idea to limit the number/size of pictures a user can post and as a stimulus only silver and gold members should be allowed to post pictures.

I think we don't need 12 MPixel pictures with a size of 20 MBytes each here, so what about smaller pictures, with perhaps a link to free picture upload sites with the large original picture or, to get in contact with other members, large original pictures can be send in interest by the photographer via email ? Nearly every email account should be able to handle mails with more than 6MB in size.

Why would I like only silver and gold members to be able to post pictures ? I think for people who are really in to B&O stuff it is obvious to become silver or gold member. I think we want to see real B&O setups, not only pictures where people photograph a single B&O item they've got from 10 angles and then say "Hey man I'm a really great B&O freak, take a look at my incredible setup" - you know what I mean ? Some bronze member may come here once or twice in their life, post hundreds of pictures just to show how proud they are and never come back, so there is now way to discuss about their pictures or ask some questions about what you see on the pictures.

And, of course, to raise the amount of paying members Big Smile Storing pictures needs space and somebody has to pay all that space. This is not a thing we all can leave to Lee and Beoworld. You can compare this with a garage you want to have for your car. You can leave your car on the streets for free, of course, but if you want more comfort and security for it, you have to pay for a garage - simple like this.

Just my opinion

Martin

BeoSound 9000 MK III, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 11, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoVision MX4000/MX7000 & BeoCom 4

Samsung UE40B7090, Samsung HT-WS1G, Technisat HD8-S, Sony PS3, Logitech PS3 IR-BT-Adapter & Lintronic TT455-RT-238

• 07-22-2007 5:58 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

BeoIce:

In my opinion it is a good idea to limit the number/size of pictures a user can post and as a stimulus only silver and gold members should be allowed to post pictures.

Why would I like only silver and gold members to be able to post pictures ? I think for people who are really in to B&O stuff it is obvious to become silver or gold member. I think we want to see real B&O setups, not only pictures where people photograph a single B&O item they've got from 10 angles and then say "Hey man I'm a really great B&O freak, take a look at my incredible setup"

Are you out of your mind ? 

So in your opinion you have to pay if you want to be a B&O fan [:'(] I'm a Ferrari fan, but I don't have one, because I can't afford one. So now I'm not a Ferrari fan anymore or what ?

Just let everybody post their pictures, and I don't care if it is only one B&O item or ten.... it's B&O !!! and if someone post one picture of his single B&O item it shows how proud he is with his beautifull B&O item.

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 07-22-2007 6:38 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Okay..

BeoIce has a valid point that server space costs money, and people that are paying for the site deserve to be able to get something back for this.  Demanding server space when you don't contribute a single cent towards the site is like me knocking on your front door and asking if i can use your bathroom to have a shower and a shave.

However, Beobird also has a fair point that everyone is here because they love B&O - and we all want to talk about it and 'show it off'.  Granted, some people genuinely cannot afford to support BeoWorld - and they deserve a break.

What i am thinking is perhaps a gallery where a paying member gets more space - say up to 10 images, and a Bronze Members gets a space for one photo of his/her favourite piece or set-up.  This way, nobody feels alienated.

We do value absolutely everyone on BeoWorld, regardless of membership level.  There are people who think that it's a case of Bronze members being seen as "second class" members - but this is totally untrue. I will explain my own thoughts..

I think of ALL members as equal. We all love B&O, and we all have our small or large amounts of knowledge to share. I think of BeoWorld as a bar you can walk into at any time, and there will always be a friend standing there with a drink for you in his hand. We are a great community, full of interesting and colourful people. Big Smile

Then there are the people that pay their hard earned money to support the site financially.  I personally feel they should be thanked, and short of flying out to their homes and shaking their hands, i feel i need to give them a little extra.  This comes in the form of the manuals, the prize draw, and the for sale and wanted forums.  This is not 'preferential treatment' - it's to say thank you, nothing more.

I hope i've made myself clear (or at least clearer) on this one!

Lee
    Smile

• 07-22-2007 6:41 AM In reply to

• BeoIce
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 281
    • Founder

No, I'm not out of my mind.

You don't have to pay to be an B&O fan, but you should have to pay to upload pictures. It's simply the case that anyone has to pay the space all these pictures need. If everybody is able to post as many pictures as he/she wants Beoworld will be "flooded" by pictures and will quickly run out of space and new space costs money. Beoworld can only get money through their silver and gold members. Becoming a silver or gold member doesn't only mean that you can post pictures. You have some more advantages too.

Martin

BeoSound 9000 MK III, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 11, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoVision MX4000/MX7000 & BeoCom 4

Samsung UE40B7090, Samsung HT-WS1G, Technisat HD8-S, Sony PS3, Logitech PS3 IR-BT-Adapter & Lintronic TT455-RT-238

• 07-22-2007 6:49 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

But isn't it possible to host your own pictures or use imageshack for FREE if you don't have a webspace ? My profider gives me a 100mb free webspace and if everybody makes his own B&O Topic they just have to do [img]......]/img]. In the beginning there will be much topics but after a month the older topics are placed on page 10 and the most recent topics on page 1 or 2. This system works on almost every other a/v site like the htforum and tweakers for example and it's easy to do. Just make a new forumsection called "Showcase" or something else just like the country sections...

Rogér

• 07-22-2007 6:53 AM In reply to

• BeoIce
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 281
    • Founder

Outsourcing the pictures to a free picture hosting website to save our space was also mentioned in my first post. Smile

Martin 

• 07-22-2007 7:10 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

That's not really very reliable though, and means you cannot do any kind of 'processing' with the image (resizing for example).

IMG tags also aren't that great, you can already do this but it's just not very good.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-22-2007 7:22 AM In reply to

I agree with this and would (from a ££ point of view) think this is the best way to to begin with? and review the situation later if it is as successful as the old setup? and then maybe possibly review the membership rate and add as an option? or even have a photo membership and changing the structure of how the current rates are calculated??

Something will have to give I suppouse to make way for this but as a temporary measure, maybe something like the above is the best way to go and at least have this as a function to the site than not.

Global access type thing?

• 07-22-2007 7:50 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

Alex:

That's not really very reliable though, and means you cannot do any kind of 'processing' with the image (resizing for example).

ofcourse you can do resizing: for example my bl7000

http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/faq/ubb#tag_url all the tags 

Syntax: [img=width,height,link,align,title,border] image url  [/img]

you can fill in the size of the picture and it's also possible to link a sized image to a bigger one like my example

• 07-22-2007 9:30 AM In reply to

what i miss is THE old photo gallery pages. this new ain't working and i find myself lurking at official sites photo pages more than here. 
  • 07-23-2007 12:38 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The IMG tag will not work for what we want! Sure it will let you embed a picture in a post, but enough people are struggling with tags etc... already, they don't allow thumbnail browsing (through images), the layout of all the threads would be wrong for an image gallery (long list of text) and a lot of people haven't even got a clue what a 'pixel' or 'URL' is. It won't work.

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 1 (25 items)