in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-17-2007 5:03 PM by soundproof. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-17-2007 3:57 PM

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

B&O compared to Marantz????

My brother just bought a new Marantz sound system (after giving back my Beocenter 7002 that he broke!!). Anyway i didn't have a problem with that till he turned his nose up at my Beosystem 3500 and said his system is spectacular. I haven't had the joy of seeing or listening to it but I looked online and they don't look nice at all. SO i was wondering how do B&O compare to Marantz if at all? To be 100% I need some ammunition to fire back at him Big Smile  I'd rather have an old B&O than a new Marantz or is that just silly?

Durban South Africa

• 07-17-2007 4:04 PM In reply to

Re: B&O compared to Marantz????

So - what did he buy?

Spectacular, indeed.
    Actually, Marantz has excellent sound - but the look and styling leaves something to be desired. At least McIntosh are adamant about keeping their retro styling, where Marantz tries to make their boxes look new ...

I don't think your brother will bulldoze your 3500, but nor will you wipe the floor with his Marantz. If he bought the Pre-Amp/Full Amp setup, then he's got aural bliss going on (depending on the speakers, and his taste in music).

• 07-17-2007 4:08 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

He was only willing to divulge that it had the 7001 amp?

Durban South Africa

• 07-17-2007 4:12 PM In reply to

Basically, it looks like a pile of sh.t now and what's more that's about all it will be worth in 12 month's time. The B&O however will still look good and be worth good money when his Marantz is in the skip somewhere.

Regards Graham

• 07-17-2007 4:14 PM In reply to

This one, then:

The CD-player that goes with that was the EISA winner in 2006-2007.

The DVD-player is quite versatile:

SACD

DCDi Faroudja

HDMI

HDMI 1080P

192/24 audio d/a konverter

216/12 bit video d/a konverter

RS-232

There's even a tuner:

And it all adds up to a lot of metal - but also some excellent performance. The amps are 2x70w.

Given that the 3500 is a more basic model in the B&O range, you may be in trouble. But you can always get back at him by upgrading to Beosystem 6500/7000; or hit him with a pair of Beolab 5s or 3s (the latter also useful as headphones, believe me!) 

• 07-17-2007 4:19 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Thanks, at least I know what it looks like. I don't like it and like Graeme said it won't have much resale value.  I'm sure a new B&O system would definitely blow the Marantz away!!

Durban South Africa

• 07-17-2007 4:48 PM In reply to

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Its shocking really

Look at the design of "opium for the mases" type equipment over the last 25 years, it has gone from silver to black, black to silver a touch of bronze and gold now and then, and that is it. In 1979 I had a sony system that didnt look much different from the above.

Look at the design and build quality of B&O in the same space of time, B&O systems from 1979 are still fetching £5-600.

I am sure your brother is simply excited about his new purchase, but the reality is he should have spent his money on some quality B&O gear! IMO!Smile

Cheers Graeme
  • 07-17-2007 4:50 PM In reply to

• sverreh
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 88
    • Founder

You are in for a never ending war, as matters of taste can never be settled.

Sverre

• 07-17-2007 4:55 PM In reply to

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Very true, that is why I ended in "IMO" so as not to cause too much upsetWink
    Cheers Graeme
  • 07-17-2007 4:58 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Thats probably the thing that irritates me the most is that he can afford to buy B&O yet he bought Marantz! Makes me cringe. Even my parents chucked their hifi system out so that they could use my BM 4400 and Bevox 5700. I suppose each to their own!

Durban South Africa

• 07-17-2007 5:03 PM In reply to

Yesterday I went and picked up a Beomaster 6500 made in 1990.  I don't see myself doing that with 17 years old Marantz products. The seller also had a Beocenter 9500 and a pair of Penta speakers. He'd had dozens of phone calls for the items since listing them ...

I agree, these boxes have looked the same now since forever. 

Tell your brother that all of the above is covered by a BeoCenter 2 (though the DVD-player I listed does 1080p and the CD-player does SACD, among other formats that B&O have deselected). But in one compact unit -- with a hidden socket unit - BC2 does it all. And a damn sight more elegantly. 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)