in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-17-2007 4:06 PM by SDB. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-17-2007 2:49 PM

• SDB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-22-2007
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

A quick Beomaster 5500 question:

Can the Beomaster be used with B&O's passive speakers (like the S45-2's)?

Also - are there simple work-arounds for using non-5500 components with the system?

Thanks.

SDB

• 07-17-2007 3:04 PM In reply to

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Re: A quick Beomaster 5500 question:

http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=354

Yip any passive speakers or active range. as for connections check out the link above

Cheers Graeme
  • 07-17-2007 3:10 PM In reply to

• SDB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-22-2007
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

Thanks, Graeme ... very helpful. Do you know of particular problems with this line that I should watch out for, or ask about?

I've found a system that looks quite complete, but I'd like my wife to get some good use from all the components before it needs service, dontcha know.

The specs listed in the product section were sorta greek to me at first, but it looks as though with the "extra speakers" and "line in/out" connections, it should be possible to rig "outsider" equipment when the time comes.

Very helpful; thanks again.

SDB 

• 07-17-2007 3:13 PM In reply to

The Beomaster 5500 is probably the most versatile of all Beomasters with both DIN and RCA connections. Major fault is that the muting system fails on Speaker 1 though this is fairly easily fixed.
  • 07-17-2007 3:20 PM In reply to

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

You can get cables on ebay to add non B&O to the system, but you  should try and stick to the B&O bits to get the full use of a great integrated system, with the master control panel you will have a fully remote slick set up, which you cant do with the non B&O products.

Cheers Graeme
  • 07-17-2007 3:41 PM In reply to

Graeme:

You can get cables on ebay to add non B&O to the system, but you  should try and stick to the B&O bits to get the full use of a great integrated system, with the master control panel you will have a fully remote slick set up, which you cant do with the non B&O products.

I agree it's a good thing to go for the system integration, with "one remote." Yet I'm finding myself connecting more and more outboarders to my Beomasters 7000 and 6500. Similarly with the 5500 - as Peter says, versatile and easily adapted. I'm using non-B&O passives with one, and BL3s with the other; I have connected exterior DACs, in order to pipe music files to them; Airport Express; iPod; even used exterior CD-players and non-B&O record players.

Still - nice to have all the units integrated, and working together with other components. But I also love the fact that B&O units made twenty or more years ago can be used with the most cutting edge available.

As to the 5500. You may have to look into getting adapters or cable converters, but as Peter points out, the 5500 had RCA connectors, which gives you more options, rather than going via the B&O specific plugs.

• 07-17-2007 4:06 PM In reply to

• SDB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-22-2007
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

Thanks, all ... very helpful.

I'm looking at this system as a sort of sentimental/nostalgic gift for my wife. It's a little pricey, but ... well, you all understand.

I'm partial to the S series speakers - have a pair of S45's (redone at HUGE cost by speaker builder) and a pair of S45-2. Love them both, no matter what they run through.

Ran the S45's through the speaker builder's giga$$ system and fell in love all over again. Back at home, in my smaller space, they and the S45-2's sound amazing playing vinyl on through my (get this) Advent 300 receiver.

So we'll see; my wife'll faint if she gets the 5500 system ... I'll probably give her the S45-2's to go with it. Nowhere what the system can power, but perfect for the space, and she loves the minimized "handling" afforded by our old B&O system ...

Thanks for the help.

SDB

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)