in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-29-2012 10:45 AM by beomaster224. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-29-2012 6:24 AM

Beomaster 5500 (2333) US to Euro conversion

New guy, first post...

My BM 5500 just arrived from sunny Florida, only thing I forgot when I placed my bid: US mains Embarrassed So, I have a unit which says 120V @ 60 Hz on the backplate. Won't play too well in a 230V @ 50 Hz Euro socket... First thing I did was to open it, to see if I saw anything that would make me think it was an easy operation to change some wires... nope. All manuals I've found so far don't even mention the 2333.

Then, I read the post by 'Die Bogener' who helped another guy with an AV7000, but I decided I would rather kindly ask for some input on the 5500 since the wiring looks a little different and I sure don't want to blow up my precious BM (before I even know if it works at all...).

I hope I placed the post in the correct section. Thanks for your advice.

• 02-29-2012 6:35 AM In reply to

Re: Beomaster 5500 (2333) US to Euro conversion

Welcome and thanks for joining as a silver member, it is greatly appreciated! Yes -  thumbs up

The type 2333 is mentioned in the service manual for Beomaster 5500 we have on site - it is not complete, but the schematics are there.

Unfortunately it seems like the US type 2333 is only prepared for 120V operation, and the transformer doesn't have the alternative primary windings that European models have. Therefore your only options are using an external step-down transformer 230V -> 120V or replacing the transformer completely with a spare from a Euro spec model.

-mika

• 02-29-2012 7:37 AM In reply to

No problem... i will show a picture for the modification.

Martin

• 02-29-2012 8:34 AM In reply to

@Mika: thank your for the welcome. The silver membership came with my interest in the service manuals Wink But that's alright, since those manuals can save you a lot more than the (very fair) cost of the membership. And it's a great forum, after all.

I missed the 2333 in the aforementioned manual the first time, but having another look, it's all there on page 2... Whistle And from what I see (I don't have that much expertise in circuitry diagrams, though) I think the 2333 IS able to work on 230V. At least, the diagram shows wiring with 2x60V (=120V, US mains) and 2x110V with additional (?) 2x10V which I guess sums up to 240V (which would represent the European upper voltage boundary of 240V). Additionally, there's a wire which has 50Hz/60Hz written next to it. But apart from seeing this now, I don't really know how to apply that to the circuit board...

@Martin: So, that's the part where I really need your help I guess Cool In fact, I was happy to see you reply to my thread. You could explain it in German, but I think it would be more useful to others with similar problems in the Beomaster 5xxx-range. Vielen Dank schon mal Smile

• 02-29-2012 10:20 AM In reply to

beomaster224:
    I missed the 2333 in the aforementioned manual the first time, but having another look, it's all there on page 2... Whistle And from what I see (I don't have that much expertise in circuitry diagrams, though) I think the 2333 IS able to work on 230V. At least, the diagram shows wiring with 2x60V (=120V, US mains) and 2x110V with additional (?) 2x10V which I guess sums up to 240V (which would represent the European upper voltage boundary of 240V).

Yes, but the way I interpret it, the schematics on the primary side just show two alternates, and don't mean every transformer has both of them. Also, I only see four solder lugs on the primary side of the transformer in your pic and so I believe it only has two non-tapped windings, not four (nor six, if all the alternatives were available).

The more complete BM6500 service manual shows the transformer wirings, and the Euro models apparently can be rewired for 220/240/110/130V, while the US 120V model is fixed to one voltage only and so is the 100V model (Japan, I guess). They have different part numbers for the transformer as well.

But I'm only working from the schematic and Martin has seen a lot more of these, so I'm not going to argue with him - if it is possible, then great Smile

I believe the microcomputer uses the "50/60 Hz" line for timekeeping, but it apparently autodetects the frequency, so that shouldn't be a problem.

-mika

• 02-29-2012 10:45 AM In reply to

Doesn't sound too good Sad I would try using a step-down transformer, but the few I looked at right now are said to make quite some noise/produce very audible hum, others are simply too expensive to try them (well, complaining about prices in a B&O forum seems strange, but the BM cost me just 80$ + shipping Cool). Maybe someone could suggest a model.

I really hope Martin can come up with something. If not... which BMs use the same transformer? Just the 5500? Or is the 5000 the same? 6500?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)