in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-29-2012 3:41 PM by Stuartk1164. 38 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-28-2012 2:30 PM In reply to

Re: New to B&O

Hi Jon,

Yes this maybe the way.

I had thought of this but what to pair it up with.

As with everything as you go up a range the price does to and steep in some company's.

B&O are prime example but with amazing build quality and looks but my ears want the big ones....oh the sound lol.

An amp and speakers as I would be keeping the 3000 is something to think of because if I  were to go the BL3 way that's another £2000 ish for 2nd hand ones plus stands.

I really must think carefully.

Has anyone else been in this situation, if so what did you end up doing.

Stuart.

• 02-28-2012 3:19 PM In reply to

Stuartk1164:

Rikarde,

Thanks for that and I have studied these speakers at all angles.

Tech wise the BL3 would be better because of the hardware it has and it does look better, the BL4 is advertised a lot beside a laptop so we know what market that's for.

Thing is if I'm disappointed at the 4000 I have a dread that the others will disappoint too and as the money goes up it gets stupid.

I don't like going to hifi places as I have a lot of knowledge on the subject but some how It disappears and I listen to a lot of rubbish from the sales people and I of course I say nothing.

At a B&O place I think I would be worse in that I would feel intimidated (but that's me not the sales people) I mean knowing I could not afford what I really or what my ears really wanted and buying something I could afford but not to my satisfaction. 

think it may have struck me that the B & O's are probably out my league.

Stuart.

Go to a dealer and tell him that U have the BL4000 and are on the market for new speakers and that you want to listen to the BL3 and compare them to the BL4000 in the store. They will gladly help you out. Then if you buy them new or used in the store or elseware is nothing you have to tell.. Often the B&O dealers give the customers time. I was in the store alot of times before I got my BC2/BL3, not to mention the BV10.. 

Go in and listen, take your time and after that make up your mind :) 

B&O is quite expensive, but they last very long time. So over time I dont think they are so expensive :) 

BeoCenter 2, Beovision 10-46, BeoLab3, BeoLab4000, BeoLab3500, Beo4

• 02-28-2012 3:29 PM In reply to

Thanks,

That is a very valid point they do last a very long time.

Thats what I will do, go into the Glasgow store for a demo of each pair and if it's not what that impressive then Iwill look at the amp and passive speakers route.

Stuart.

• 02-28-2012 3:36 PM In reply to

Hi Stuart

I think my Detoma A102 was about £300 (have a look at their website - the unit is very beo-looking and turns on and off with the Beo4) and look no further than What Hi-Fi for award winning speakers for any price bracket - even £150 will get you fantastic sound.  I have my eye on the Acoustic Energy Aelite 1's (under £300). 

Lots of luck with your conundrum..

Jon

• 02-28-2012 3:51 PM In reply to

• Guy1680
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-18-2007
    • Viborg, Denmark
    • Posts 104
    • Gold Member

Please don't give up on B&O and certainly not the Glasgow dealer - I lived there for 5 years and was always very impressed by their enthusiasm, despite the fact that I spent very little money in the store (most of my B&O kit is second hand).

So go and explain the problems to them, ask them for a demo of their BL4000s and ask them to match the price you've been given on stands.  It's in their interest to help as they know you will be back for more...

Top Tip:  Nip to Vroni's in W.Nile St first for a couple of cheeky tipples and you'll certainly not feel intimidated - never shop totally sober!

• 02-28-2012 4:40 PM In reply to

Hi Jon,

Now your talking my language lol.

I will check out the website and look at the options.

I'm so drawn to the B & O range it's just down to affordability to meet my needs and if the price is too High then your solution will be looked at I will also look at the XTZ speakers I previously had as they were brilliant especially the ribbon tweeters.

Stuart.

• 02-28-2012 4:59 PM In reply to

Hi Guy,

Never go shopping sober......lol lol, brilliant.

I normally go high ( only kidding )

Ok in my quest to sort things I raised the speakers to ear level (Jeff) and the difference was much improved.

The Treble was better but still has a brittely / abrasive sound but defiantly better.

The Bass was much less muddled and more controlled but to my listening pleasure there if not enough Bass for my taste as I prefer it more prominent but not in your face.

It did give glimours of this but I think a lack of power stopped it short.

Next step: To change the speaker cables this should ( with the newer type of cableing ) tighten up both Treble and Bass and hopefully a better presence.

i will upgrade my membership here and get the manuals to adjust the sound to my taste and cross my fingers lol.

If all good at this point then I may go for a non B&O sub to Finnish it off.

Oh and I will defo be visiting the Glasgow store thanks.

A huge thank you to all who has nursed me through this task.

Stuart.

• 02-28-2012 5:54 PM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Stuartk1164:

Hi Guy,

Never go shopping sober......lol lol, brilliant.

I normally go high ( only kidding )

Ok in my quest to sort things I raised the speakers to ear level (Jeff) and the difference was much improved.

The Treble was better but still has a brittely / abrasive sound but defiantly better.

The Bass was much less muddled and more controlled but to my listening pleasure there if not enough Bass for my taste as I prefer it more prominent but not in your face.

It did give glimours of this but I think a lack of power stopped it short.

Next step: To change the speaker cables this should ( with the newer type of cableing ) tighten up both Treble and Bass and hopefully a better presence.

i will upgrade my membership here and get the manuals to adjust the sound to my taste and cross my fingers lol.

If all good at this point then I may go for a non B&O sub to Finnish it off.

Oh and I will defo be visiting the Glasgow store thanks.

A huge thank you to all who has nursed me through this task.

Stuart.

Hi again

A sub could very well solve your problem, I believe. I am skeptical about the cables though.  I have never heard anything interesting when trying different cables in any equipment.

Do listen to BL 3 if you bump into a B&O store.

Have fun

Clakke

• 02-28-2012 7:13 PM In reply to

• Jeff
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-01-2010
    • USA
    • Posts 48
    • Gold Member

Well, re bass remember you're dealing with a speaker with a 4 inch woofer, even with adaptive bass linearization there only so much air a driver that size can move. As for the treble, kind of surprising, as that tweeter is usually smooth and if anything not very extended or bright. How are the tone controls on the Beosound set?

You might try different room placement if your furnishings allow, some areas will have more room gain than others.

You can certainly use a different amp and speakers, I had my Beosound 9000 hooked up to a McIntosh MC240 tube amp and a pair of NHT 2.3 speakers for a few months untol I got my Beolab 8000's.
  • 02-28-2012 7:28 PM In reply to

If you stumble over a pair of used Beolab Penta (active) or Beovox Penta (passive), give them a listening try ...

They are not too expensive (my Beovox Penta 800€ a pair), installing included.

Mine are connected to an ARCAM Solo amplifier and the ARCAM Solo to my Beovision 8. The amplifyer is introduced to my Beovision 8 as a pair of Beolab 5 ;-) Rearspeakers are a pair of Beolab 4000.

iPoditiv

• 02-29-2012 8:18 AM In reply to

Jeff,

Good point 4" aint going to produce a huge amount.

The settings will need adjusted and I hope that will give me the clarity I'm looking for.

Clakke,

I'm surprised you say that no cables have made a difference to the sound in your experience as I have defo had a big improvement when changing cables on my speakers, although not in a B & O set up.

Ipoditiv,

Interesting to hear of the different combo's with amp & speakers and I hear what you are saying.

I will get a sub first as this will give the Bass I want and as I said to Jeff I will look at adjusting Treble / Bass too.

Stuart.

• 02-29-2012 10:07 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

JontyL:
    I wanted to mention another option for you.  I have a Detoma power amp (D102) which drives some budget Eltax speakers.  The Detoma is incredibly sweet and has B & O friendly plug sockets.  This way I enjoy the best of both worlds - the beauty of the BS3000 and benefits of another manufacturers speakers

I like where this is going!

I do this as well, except not with Detoma. I use Niles and Yamaha amplifiers and I'm looking at a JBL/Urei amp now... Speakers are JBL.

The Niles integrates really well due to the DC trigger, it can accept the B&O powerlink 5v.

All of which is driven by a 4500 system.

Evan

• 02-29-2012 10:41 AM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Stuartk1164:

Clakke,

I'm surprised you say that no cables have made a difference to the sound in your experience as I have defo had a big improvement when changing cables on my speakers, although not in a B & O set up.

Hi

I wrote that I did not heard anything interesting. Meaning that I sometimes heard something different, but never anything for the better. Since then I have only bought simple cables (of god quality). I think most B&O people in here thinks about the same. Just an impression I get from reading threads here. Concerning the B&O stuff, I did not care at all. Just left it to the installers.

Another thing is right now when we are building a Home Theater (without B&O). There is a question which receiver to use. The shop suggest a rather expensive one that they think would work well with the speakers we will have. I have never listened to different receivers. Anybody know how much a good amplifier will do? Anybody that have compared a cheaper receiver vs an expensive one?

Clakke

• 02-29-2012 3:41 PM In reply to

hello,

Oh right I see what you mean.

I too have tried the the cheap v the expensive amp on home cinema big difference for obvious reasons although when you say a good amp that is probably what I would call an expensive one.

The cables I have bought in the past were of good quality and I suppose simple in construction I would never buy the ones that cost stupid money for me that  would not make that much of a difference.

i'm thinking that B & O cables will be of good quality anyway probably in line with what I would normally call an upgraded cable.

Stuart.

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2