in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-28-2012 5:04 PM by Beobuddy. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (25 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-25-2012 9:10 AM

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

Which Oil?

I am back in the USA for a visit and my B&O needs some cosmetic work.  I have a pair of S-80 speakers in teak and BG 4002 in rosewood/pallisander.  The local Do-It Yourself/home hardware center has three types of wood oil:  tung oil, teak wood oil and Danish oil.  Can anyone advise which type of oil I should be using?  Also, if the teak on the speakers feel a bit rough, should I hand-sand the wood with superfine sandpaper before applying the oil?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• 02-25-2012 9:24 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: Which Oil?

Danish oil seems to be the choice of many of Beoworlds speaker restorers Stephen. You need to keep up with it though, re-apply annually I believe.

Personally I always French polish my speaker restorations but this is quite intensive to get right finish. Well worth the effort though.

Teak has quite an open grain for a hardwood so it isn't unusual for it to feel slightly rough, especially when compared to rosewood. If it bothers you you can apply some grain filler & smooth off with fine steel wool before oiling & polishing.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-25-2012 9:43 AM In reply to

I use Danish oil, which in fact is a boiled Linseed oil, if the teak is lacquered or varnished before, you will have to sand of all the laquer, start with a 180 grain paper, then 220 and at last very fine with 400, then oil, wipe of excess after 1/2 hour, let dry for 24 hours,  sand lightly with 400, oil, wipe of excess after 1/2 hour, let dry, done. After this, once every, or every 2nd year, clean lightly with thinner, oil, wipe of excess, let dry, done. Use lint free cotton rags for the oil (old well washed T shirt or the like).

And do it outside or in the garage, linseed oil stinks.Laughing

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 02-25-2012 10:17 AM In reply to

Another question. I have here a BM1001, which I totally recapped etcetera. This master has a black aluminum top, which I've taken apart and cleaned thoroughly. Now, the problem is, that touching the switches leaves traces from your (greasy) hands. Do I have to oil them with a thin layer of any kind of oil, which makes them shiny of course. Or should I paint them with a special photo lack? This wouldn't be my first choice, as it isn't done with the original parts. Any thoughts?

• 02-25-2012 10:50 AM In reply to

Beobuddy:
    Or should I paint them with a special photo lack?

I would try with a Polyurethane clear satin matte spray

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 02-26-2012 3:32 PM In reply to

Did you do this before?

I'm slightly frightened if spraying the paint fails. It's not mine.

• 02-26-2012 3:56 PM In reply to

I use it for Brass and copper pieces, to keep it from oxidizing and showing fingerprints

You can also try with Pledge for forniture, will damage nothing and can easily be cleaned of again.

• 02-26-2012 4:07 PM In reply to

For all my wood and aluminium part I'm using "HG meubelfinish spray".

Works like magic and cost 5 euro!

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 02-26-2012 4:23 PM In reply to

This one? Big Smile

• 02-26-2012 4:33 PM In reply to

Beobuddy:

This one? Big Smile

Same sh1t,Laughing I use pledge even for acrylics, covers small scratches

• 02-26-2012 4:41 PM In reply to

Søren Mexico:

Beobuddy:

This one? Big Smile

Same ***? Are you mister magic himself. I'm having good results with this and that's a fact!

@Beobuddy, you even took the effort taking a picture to let us see were talking about the same product!Hmm

YES it isSmile

Beovirus? What's that?

• 02-26-2012 4:57 PM In reply to

I've used it for the BM1001 cabinet. That worked great. But I didn't use it for aluminum. For the next BM900K is will use a different oil (also from HG), but then I also will use some steal wool. Don't know if that's the correct spelling.

• 02-26-2012 5:11 PM In reply to

Let me know how it works with the other HG product,

Steel wool is correct and if that works?Hmm

Beovirus? What's that?

• 02-26-2012 5:37 PM In reply to

I let you know. Steel wool opens up the structure of the wooden cabinet. First use a piece of glass to take of the upper layer with dirt etc. Then use the steel wool and oil together to rub the oil in the structure.

• 02-26-2012 5:41 PM In reply to

I see, thought you wanna use that on the aluminiumSmile

Beovirus? What's that?

• 02-26-2012 5:52 PM In reply to

Leslie:

Søren Mexico:

Beobuddy:

This one? Big Smile

Same ***? Are you mister magic himself. I'm having good results with this and that's a fact!

@Beobuddy, you even took the effort taking a picture to let us see were talking about the same product!Hmm

YES it isSmile

LaughingLaughing I mean Pledge and the product you use are probably more or less the same, and yes I get good results with mine tooBig Smile

• 02-27-2012 1:16 PM In reply to

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

Returning to the original query, thanks Chris and Soren [sorry, a horizontal line is the best I can do; can not easily re-create the diagonal line for the "o"].

I will give the Danish oil a try.

Chris, how does one "French polish"?  I have not heard this phrase before.  "French kissing" yes, "French polish" no.  Wink

• 02-27-2012 2:46 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

The beauty of French polishing is it really enhances the natural grain & figuring of wood & gives a tough long lasting & easy to maintain finish.

It requires stripping off any old polish & varnish back to bare wood - use the finest grit sandpaper you can get a way with, it saves effort in the long run. Some woods such as rosewood may need some staining to attain the original colour & vibrancy (B&O rosewood speakers are stained a little redder than natural rosewood, mahogany stain seems to give good results). Then apply however many coats of button (French) polish as you feel neccessary. You must apply it in the direction of the grain using single strokes and not be tempted to go over it again until you have "kocked it back" with steel wool in between each coat. French polish dries very quickly so you can repeat the process every 20 minutes or so. Button polish will fill the grain & the more open the grain of the wood, the more coats are needed - even grain filler may be needed if the grain is very open. I never use less than 4 coats depending on the wood in question. The last coat of button polish is also knocked back with steel wool & the final polish is done with beeswax. After care is much easier as you can simply use spray & wipe furniture polish.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-27-2012 3:59 PM In reply to

My polish cleaner of choice. Good for wood metal plastic and vinyl. sure put a nice restorative sheen on my BM1600 tractor belts.

• 02-28-2012 2:40 AM In reply to

Medogsfat:

The beauty of French polishing is....

With all respect and off topic, but why is it french polishing? My dad did this almost 40 years ago with the rosewood from B&O telly's back then. Indifferent

Just here in The Netherlands....

• 02-28-2012 2:43 AM In reply to

Leslie:

For all my wood and aluminium part I'm using "HG meubelfinish spray".

Works like magic and cost 5 euro!

@ Leslie, welke BM hangt daar boven het (theepot) vrouwtje, Een BM2400(-2)?

• 02-28-2012 4:11 AM In reply to

Ja Andre! Een BM2400. Why?

Beovirus? What's that?

• 02-28-2012 4:43 PM In reply to

Wings:

Returning to the original query, thanks Chris and Soren [sorry, a horizontal line is the best I can do; can not easily re-create the diagonal line for the "o"].

I will give the Danish oil a try.

Chris, how does one "French polish"?  I have not heard this phrase before.  "French kissing" yes, "French polish" no.  Wink

French polish is the absolute top line of wood finishing, and have been used for hundreds of years, pianos, violins and other first class instruments are still finished this way, and yes in my opinion and as I see, Chris's too, the best way to get your wood perfect.

But as I'm lazy, and want a satin finish, I use boiled linseed oil, the problem with French polish is that you will see all nick and damages if you dont work properly. I like French kisses too.Laughing, Less work and the result is pronto.

• 02-28-2012 5:03 PM In reply to

Leslie:

Ja Andre! Een BM2400. Why?

First bought Beomaster in the early 80's.

By coincidence I bought a BM 2400-2 with remote almost in mint condition for 2-3 weeks ago. It has only one fault.

The previous (first) owner told that all the new placed fuses blown within a second, that's all.

So, if I have some spare time, I'll look at it. But with the memories in mind, it will probably be a full recap. The same as I just finished a CD5500 with faulty (shortcircuit) caps and fried resistors. 

• 02-28-2012 5:04 PM In reply to

Søren Mexico:

I like French kisses too.Laughing, Less work and the result is pronto.

Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (25 items)