in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-28-2012 2:35 PM by mbee. 31 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-27-2012 3:26 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: Beolab 8002 or 12 as rears?

Did you match the actual volume (not just the input signal), the 9's are more sensitive than the 4000's and therefore will be louder with the same input signal. This will seem to sound "better".

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-27-2012 8:04 AM In reply to

Not sure what you mean by input signal? I had the volume on the BV7 display set to the same level.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 02-27-2012 8:39 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

That's not good.

The volume of the speakers don't have to be set "visually" to the same level, even more because 4000's and 9's are not on the same league. I think that before buying anything, you should set up properly the speaker distance and levels.

1. Measure speaker distance and put correct distance from ear to speaker for each speaker.

2. Find a sound pressure tool. The cheapest is the free iPhone app "Ultimate Ears". As we are not searching for exact absolute levels but accurate relative levels of each speaker, it's really good.

3. Find a white noise source/go to the speaker setup to have white noise.

4. Turn up your TV main volume until you reach 75dB in Ultimate Ears at the listening position. 

5. Go to the speaker setup and adjust individually all speaker levels to reach 75dB (front, rear, center).

6. You're done, now the speaker levels are correctly set up.

7. Try your new configuration before buying anything Smile

[EDIT] Mistakes corrected

• 02-27-2012 8:40 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Razlaw:

Not sure what you mean by input signal? I had the volume on the BV7 display set to the same level.

What I mean is that the 9's will be louder than the 4000's driven from the same amplitude input signal.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-27-2012 2:02 PM In reply to

mbee:

That's not good.

The volume of the speakers don't have to be set "visually" to the same level, even more because 4000's and 9's are not on the same league. I think that before buying anything, you should set up properly the speaker distance and levels.

1. Measure speaker distance and put correct distance from ear to speaker for each speaker.

2. Find a sound pressure tool. The cheapest is the free iPhone app "Ultimate Ears". As we are not searching for exact absolute levels but accurate relative levels of each speaker, it's really good.

4. Turn your TV speaker in speaker 2 mode until you reach 100dB in Ultimate Ears at the listening position. 

5. Adjust individually all speaker levels to reach 100dB (front, rear, center).

It also has to be dependant on the master volume value (e.g. 55). What do you suggest as a volume value? In my setup (BL7-1 center, BL8000's fronts, BL4000's rears, BL2) is not easy to reach 100db with highest setting on the SPEAKER Adjustment menu. I have to put the Master Volume up to 74-75 to reach 95db. And my living room is 35m2.

-Dimitris

• 02-27-2012 4:19 PM In reply to

DrDimitris:

mbee:

That's not good.

4. Turn your TV speaker in speaker 2 mode until you reach 100dB in Ultimate Ears at the listening position. 

5. Adjust individually all speaker levels to reach 100dB (front, rear, center).

It also has to be dependant on the master volume value (e.g. 55). What do you suggest as a volume value? In my setup (BL7-1 center, BL8000's fronts, BL4000's rears, BL2) is not easy to reach 100db with highest setting on the SPEAKER Adjustment menu. I have to put the Master Volume up to 74-75 to reach 95db. And my living room is 35m2.

If I set the speakers in 2 speaker mode then I will only hear two channel, wont I? I wont be hearing the rear surround portion of a movie?

What I have done is gone into the BS3 menu and made the 4000s fronts, and the 9s rears, and listened from my normal sitting position. I then have listened  to the rear channels through both the 4000s and 9s sitting extremely close to one so I could focus on the sound from that speaker. I heard effects in the 9 that were absent or much more muffled in the 4000s. 

Haven't I read somewhere about people listening to systems with 5 Beolab 5s and how amazing they sound?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 02-28-2012 2:35 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

Sorry Razlaw... I was a little tired... 100B is way too much! I meant more something like 75dB. (it's what I use to set up).

And second mistake in my guide : I didn't mean "speaker 2" for the first adjustment, I just meant "main volume" : turn up the volume on your set with white noise until it reach 75dB. Its just to give a good base.

I've corrected my "guide". I hope it's clear.

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2