in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-17-2012 12:14 PM by mawheele. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-15-2012 3:48 PM

• KMA
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Posts 101
    • Silver Member

Update to Beovision 10-46 vs. jump to 7-55?

Hi everyone,

As an owner of BeoVision 10-46 Mk I, and with the urge to upgrade my setup, I have some questions perhaps some of you have insight on:

- Are there updates coming to BeoVision 10-46 in the near future? Any information, any guesses? 3D version, new panel, etc.? Samsung has produced newer panels since BeoVision 10-46 Mk II came out -- does anyone have information about the panel that new BeoVision 10s currently have?

- Is there any noticable improvement in picture quality between Mk I and II of 10-46? Or is the Mk II simply an update to the inputs / chassis?

Upgrading my BeoVision 10 is an option for me, if it makes enough sense in terms of PQ improvement.

The other thing I'm considering is BeoVision 7-55 3D, with BeoLab 10 and a pair of BeoLab 9. How much better is the 7's picture quality compared to the 10? Has anyone seen them side by side?

As I don't want to wall mount my TV, BeoVision 12 is out of the question. 65" is also too much for me. Therefore it's either an updated 10, if it makes sense in the near future, or jump to 7-55.

KMA

Current setup: BeoVision 10-46 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand) with Apple TV 2 (FireCore), Sony BDP-S780, Mac Mini, BeoLab 11 (silver), Beo5, BeoSound 8 (red speaker covers). Accessories: A8 Earphones, wine bottle coasters.

B&O product history, in chronological order since 1990, after the onset of the treaded BeoVirus (I tend to upgrade/change my setup "infrequently"): BeoSystem 2500 (with blue speaker covers), BeoLink 5000, BeoSystem 7000 (complete; silver/black), BeoLink 7000, RedLine 60.2, BeoVox Penta, BeoVision MX4000 (black, motorized floor stand), BeoCord VX5000 (black), BeoSystem 4500 (complete), BeoCenter 9500, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoVision Avant (original, 28" AR, VHS, green), BeoCenter 2300, BeoVision 3-32 (grey speaker frame, AR, motorised cabinet), DVD1 (grey), BeoCord V8000 (grey), Beo4, BeoSound Ouverture (w/ floor cabinet stand), BeoVision Avant RF (grey, 32", AR, VHS), BeoSound 9000, BeoCenter AV5 (blue), BeoVision 1 (yellow, motorized floor stand), Beo1, BeoSound Century (yellow), BeoCenter 1 (blue, AR, motorized floor stand), BeoSound 1 (silver, floor stand), BeoVision Avant RF DVD (grey, 32", AR), BeoVision 7-32 MkI (AR, motorized floor stand), BeoLab 3 (black), BeoSound 2, BeoVision 10-40 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand).

• 02-15-2012 4:20 PM In reply to

Re: Update to Beovision 10-46 vs. jump to 7-55?

Regarding your question of the 7-55s picture quality over the 10-46, i would say there is quite an improvement from the 10-46 MKI to 7-55 MKII. Especially the black-level the panels produce, this is of course do to the 10-46 having Edge LED and the 7-55 having local dimming in sections of the screen. The 7-55 MKII panel can also produce more light. Side by side on full tilt, the BV10 almost seems a bit grey when you compare them with a white test picture. The overall picture quality is also quite a bit better in my opinion, but if it is worth the cost to you is hard to answar, because the BV10 still got a great picture quality.

Regarding the BV12-65 i will just add, that STB Brackets makes a floorstand for it, in case you should decide that 65" is actually i nice size (i think it is Wink )

Personally, I think that i would keep the 10-46 unless it's because you want the extra inches (and doesn't need the built in blu-ray). It is a great looking TV with great picture quality. Sound wise though, it's a great step up to go with the BL10 compared to the built ind speakers in BV10. 

• 02-15-2012 4:25 PM In reply to

I have seen them side by side and the bv7-55 blows the 10-46 away. Its picture is simply stunning.

BeoVision 8-40 / BeoVision 8-32 / Beovision 6-26 / BeoSound 3200 / BeoSound 1 / BeoLab 3 /  Beolab 6000 / Beolab 2000 / Beoport / Beomedia 1 / 3* Beo4 /BeoCom 5 with VOIP

• 02-15-2012 6:13 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

KMA:

Upgrading my BeoVision 10 is an option for me, if it makes enough sense in terms of PQ improvement.

I honestly don't think it will. BV10-46 is a fairly recent TV and there won't be much of a PQ improvement between MKI and MKII. My MKII BV10-46 is only very slightly better than my old BV7-40 MKIV and that was a few years old. And I mean very slightly improved. I didn't get the BV10-46 for the improvement in PQ.

You'd be paying a lot of money to move from a MKI to MKII. Money that could be better spent elsewhere (perhaps on other B&O kit).

I do agree that the BV7-55 blows the BV10-46 PQ to one side. The BV7-55 is as good as it gets. Always very surprised by the BV7-55's PQ when I visit my dealer.

However, it's a big price jump from a second hand BV10-46 to a BV7-55. It's also a big, clunky heavy-looking TV. I prefer the design of the BV10-46 and have no issues with the sound, even after living with a BV7-40 + BL7.2 for many years. Sure, the audio quality isn't as deep or round, but for most regular TV, it's fine.

• 02-15-2012 7:59 PM In reply to

• Hungedu
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2009
    • Ambergris Caye, Belize
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

I beg to differ that the BV7-55 is a heavy and clunky-looking TV. It looks weightless on the tall floor stand. I faced a similar dilemma between the 10-46 and the 7-55 for almost six months. In the end, it came down to what looked better in my living room aesthetically, and not picture quality. In my opinion, the 10-46 is too close to the ground on the floor stand and looks heavier from straight on because the panel has physically larger dimensions due to the integrated flat speaker beneath the screen. The 7-55 appears to float in mid air and the BeoLab 7.6 has a smaller profile.

On the other hand, if you're going to use BeoLab 9 speakers next to your TV, the 10-46 might look more proportional to the height of those speakers. Take a digital photo of your room and copy & paste a stock photo of both televisions in the room photo to get a preview for how either could look there. That's what I did, and both look dramatically different for different settings. It's all a matter of personal taste.

BeoVision 7-55 3D, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound 8, BeoLab 7-6, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, LC-1, BeoTime (analog clock), Form 1 headphones, Beo 4 remote.

• 02-16-2012 2:35 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Hungedu:

I beg to differ that the BV7-55 is a heavy and clunky-looking TV. It looks weightless on the tall floor stand. 

It's just an opinion :) It also depends on the angle etc. As my BV10-46 is on a angle in the corner of the room, you look at it a lot from the side, when coming in to the room.

The BV10-46 on the easel stand looks much less "in your face" than the BV7, iMHO. Looks more like a piece of art than a TV. This also goes back to another thread where people said it was "chavvy" to have a huge TV. The advantage of the BV10-46 on the easel, particularly with a coloured fret, is that it does look like cool furniture than just a TV in a room.

But there again, I've had BV7's since 2004 - 8 years of BV7s. Maybe I just got a little fed up looking at the same TV for so many years. I absolutely love the BV10-46 with the red fret.

BV7-55 is huge! And v.heavy. Superb screen though, but it is a monster.

• 02-16-2012 4:31 AM In reply to

• KMA
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Posts 101
    • Silver Member

Thanks for your opinions! :)

The size of BV7-55 is indeed huge, and I'd definitely like it with the triangular BeoLab 10 as the center speaker. This kind of reminds me of AV9000, a design that I always liked. 7-55 is a bit over 25 cm wider (140 cm) than 10-46 (113 cm), and it's not slim by any means. But on a floor stand, I don't think slimness is the key form & design factor. I do like however how the 10-46 kind of "floats" on the motorized floor stand, and its profile is very slim and light.

I did contemplate BV7-40 with BeoLab 10 -- even closer resemblance to the classic AV9000 with its smaller screen dimensions. But going back from 46" to 40" -- not so sure. 7-40 MKV probably has better PQ due to BeoSystem 3 and the new panel, plus it's 3D. 3D would be a "fun" factor, but I doubt I would be using the feature that much.

It might be wise to wait for whatever B&O comes up with in the next couple of years, something with the rumored new picture engine, and as you pointed out, spend the money on other B&O products.

I'll need to keep considering the points: size, PQ, design, price.

KMA

Current setup: BeoVision 10-46 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand) with Apple TV 2 (FireCore), Sony BDP-S780, Mac Mini, BeoLab 11 (silver), Beo5, BeoSound 8 (red speaker covers). Accessories: A8 Earphones, wine bottle coasters.

B&O product history, in chronological order since 1990, after the onset of the treaded BeoVirus (I tend to upgrade/change my setup "infrequently"): BeoSystem 2500 (with blue speaker covers), BeoLink 5000, BeoSystem 7000 (complete; silver/black), BeoLink 7000, RedLine 60.2, BeoVox Penta, BeoVision MX4000 (black, motorized floor stand), BeoCord VX5000 (black), BeoSystem 4500 (complete), BeoCenter 9500, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoVision Avant (original, 28" AR, VHS, green), BeoCenter 2300, BeoVision 3-32 (grey speaker frame, AR, motorised cabinet), DVD1 (grey), BeoCord V8000 (grey), Beo4, BeoSound Ouverture (w/ floor cabinet stand), BeoVision Avant RF (grey, 32", AR, VHS), BeoSound 9000, BeoCenter AV5 (blue), BeoVision 1 (yellow, motorized floor stand), Beo1, BeoSound Century (yellow), BeoCenter 1 (blue, AR, motorized floor stand), BeoSound 1 (silver, floor stand), BeoVision Avant RF DVD (grey, 32", AR), BeoVision 7-32 MkI (AR, motorized floor stand), BeoLab 3 (black), BeoSound 2, BeoVision 10-40 (grey speaker cover, AR, motorized stand).

• 02-16-2012 9:31 AM In reply to

My previous  TV was  Pioneer LX608 Plasma,which was an extremely good TV in terms of Picture Quality.

For nearly 2 weeks,I have been living with a BV7-55 3D,and I am amazed at the PQ,even with Standard Definition material.

Even though the Beosystem 3 is a contributing factor,I attribute the stunning PQ to the full LED backlighting,with local dimming,and in particular,the 512 zones of LEDs.

As far as I am aware,no other TV has so many backlighting zones,and the panel in the BV7-55 3D must account for a considerable element of the TV's overall cost.

Personally,I cannot see any haloing which is supposed to be a weakness with local dimming

On a tall stand with the BL7-4 centre speaker it is far from heavy,and clunky,looking.

One can be forever waiting for "the next best thing",and in the meantime one will miss out on the pleasure provided by a BV 7-55 3D.

• 02-16-2012 3:11 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

TerryM:
    Even though the Beosystem 3 is a contributing factor

I think people love to assume the "powerful" Beosystem 3 is responsible for the PQ, but then why was BS3-powered BV7-40 MKIII so poor and my BV10-46 is slightly improved on my previous BS3-powered BV7-40 MKIV?

I think it's a misnomer that the Beosystem 3 really improves the PQ. It's there to drive the surround system, projector and other devices. Beosystem 3 is old now, it's not the reason why the BV7-55 is so much better than the equally powered BV7-40 MKIII. It's simply to do with the quality of the panels and lighting (of the panel).

• 02-17-2012 9:06 AM In reply to

moxxey:

TerryM:
    Even though the Beosystem 3 is a contributing factor

I think people love to assume the "powerful" Beosystem 3 is responsible for the PQ, but then why was BS3-powered BV7-40 MKIII so poor and my BV10-46 is slightly improved on my previous BS3-powered BV7-40 MKIV?

I think it's a misnomer that the Beosystem 3 really improves the PQ. It's there to drive the surround system, projector and other devices. Beosystem 3 is old now, it's not the reason why the BV7-55 is so much better than the equally powered BV7-40 MKIII. It's simply to do with the quality of the panels and lighting (of the panel).

An inferior panel will inhibit the Picture Quality produced by the TV's processor.

If the Beosystem 3 was poor the superior panel on a 7-55 3D would accentuate defects in the PQ.

The fact that it's PQ,even on Freeview,is stunning,demonstrates,to my mind,that the Beosystem 3 is doing something right.

True,the Beosystem 3 dates from 2006,but do we know for sure that there have been no upgrades/improvements 'under the hood'?

• 02-17-2012 9:55 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

TerryM:

The fact that it's PQ,even on Freeview,is stunning,demonstrates,to my mind,that the Beosystem 3 is doing something right.

True,the Beosystem 3 dates from 2006,but do we know for sure that there have been no upgrades/improvements 'under the hood'?

I still think this is a misnomer. The BS3 hasn't changed. The video technology is the same as it was in 2006. It's much more to do with the panel technology and improvements than the BS3 providing the power. The BS3 doesn't perform any different in the BV7-55 compared to the same BS3 in the BV7-40 MKIII. B&O haven't suddenly pressed the "turbo button". It takes the same source signal, pushes it through the same video processing - it's the end result that improves due to the panel and backlighting improvements.

The reason why the same BS3 resulted in a poor-ish picture on the BV7-40 MKIII was simply to do with the panel. The panel was gloomy, didn't render blacks very well and so on. The BV7-55 panel is much improved, and that's a lot to do with the advances in panel and the lighting (of the panel).

Personally I think a lot of BS3-powered TV owners like to believe that the BS3 is causing their great picture as it encourages them to think they have better value for money. "the picture is great thanks to the BS3, which is worth £5000!". Pity it's exactly the same BS3 that gives a poor picture on the first TVs it powered. And before you say I'm getting personal there, it's not supposed to be personal....a I owned a BS3-powered TV for years.

The BS3 isn't poor. No-one is saying that at all. It's the other way around! The BS3 has always done a great job, but the panel let it down on earlier TVs. As the panel and lighting as improved, so has the picture. But I still believe a lot of people want to believe that their BS3-powered TV costs them so much money thanks to the "power" of the BS3.

Remember that the BS3 drove both the BV7-55 MKI and the MKII. The reason for the improved picture in the MKII isn't due to the BS3.

• 02-17-2012 12:14 PM In reply to

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Panels/Glass have improved on 3 counts; response rates, light and angle of view. I would argue that many people who aquired the latest panels are blown away by the fact that the panel in brighter - take a Samsung for example, they set their panels to dynamic mode in the showrooms and its like the Pepsi challenge - it tastes sweeter and people then choose it.  I find it funny that then those same people then calibrate their TV's which actually turns the display down to where it should be. The BV7 MKIII panel actually had the most accurate settings from B&O IMOP especially for movies.

Focus on the controller board as much as you do the glass. Look for sound and picture processing capabilities.

Since LED lighting came on stream, the issue has exacerbated - to one person it looks great, the next the colours/brightness are too punchy. Many have looked at Panasonic plasmas as a result.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)