in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-13-2012 9:09 AM by chadders. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-09-2012 7:16 PM

Macworld Review Beolit 12: 4 out of five

worth a look:

http://www.macworld.com/article/165188/2012/02/bang_and_olufsen_beolit_12_is_impressive_and_expensive.html

(Quote)... if you've got the money, this is the first system we've seen that offers this combination of quality sound, portability, and AirPlay support.

Filed under: ,
  • 02-10-2012 7:49 AM In reply to

Re: Macworld Review Beolit 12: 4 out of five

Good review..the price thing will always be THE issue for B&O, even if, by their standards, the BeoLit is a real bargain!Stick out tongue

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 02-10-2012 2:51 PM In reply to

"Price is hard to justify"

Well my innitial impression is that Macworld probably knows macs, if that even....

However it's not a good review to end it with saying it's too expensive.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 02-10-2012 2:51 PM In reply to

"Price is hard to justify"

Well my innitial impression is that Macworld probably knows macs, if that even....

However it's not a good review to end it with saying it's too expensive.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 02-10-2012 3:06 PM In reply to

It annoys me when you read a good review to be told its too expensive, but compared to what? The new Sony unit is £500 and does not even look or sound like the Beolit12!
  • 02-10-2012 5:08 PM In reply to

Compare it to a loewe airspeaker:

- cost is 700€ for beolit vs 750€ for loewe

-power is 120w for beoli vs 80w for loewe

- beolit operates on battery, airspeaker does not

- size of unit is similiar

- designwise everybody has to decide on his own, but i do like this beolit design from the 60 more than the "boring" airspeaker.

From my point of view the beolit 12 is a"must have" for everybody who likes the b&o design and is interested in airplay technology.

I am a very happy user,

Kiwi

• 02-10-2012 5:13 PM In reply to

I had a listen to the Bose Soundlink today - I found having to listen to the poor-by-comparison sound quality very disappointing, not something I could live with. I would happily pay more for something I would enjoy listening to.

BV7-40MK4BR,7-32,6-22,6-23,6-26,BSnd5,9000,BLab9,3,4000,2,BCom2,6000,Btalk1200,LC2s,Lutron

• 02-10-2012 5:27 PM In reply to

NEVER would I get the Bose Soundlink. As a matter of fact, I am looking forward to owning the Beolit 12 pretty soon. Price is of no interest, as long as the quality is great. That's why I love my Beolabs 5, that's why I love my Beovision 9. In my mind, Macworld should be the first to consider the quality of the Beolit without weighing in on the price, given that they are a Mac magazine.... ;-) 

There will always be cheaper options when you do not care for the best quality. My time and my ears are just too valuable to me to go with anything mediocre, soundwise.

What I do not understand is: why was B&O unable to deliver a Beosound 8 with Airplay capabilty the moment the Beolit 12 came out!!? To me, that's VERY frustrating, because I would much rather get the Beosound 8, however, I do now want to sacrifice on Airplay possiblities. Yes, I do know about the Airport Express, but ever since I got a B&W Zeppelin Air I am spoiled... (just wish it had the B&O quality of sound to it).

• 02-11-2012 9:53 PM In reply to

I bought my eldest Daughter the B&W Zepellin and love the sound - do you really feel that it lacks the sound quality of the Beosound 8?  I don't.

• 02-12-2012 2:49 AM In reply to

It's not even close to the BeoSound 8. A close friend bought it and I've spent many nights listening to it. It's a huge disappointment because it doesn't really live up to the B&W reputation which, I feel, is very good. Having true high-end competitors is a good thing when the market is so sparse. Certainly people consider it to be a higher end iPod dock, and it is, but they should have built a no-compromise unit. Even if it would have been $1k or more. People would have bought it. Nobody only has $700 to spend on an iPod dock - especially if it's going to fill the role of their main audio system.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-12-2012 4:12 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

KingOfSnake:

I bought my eldest Daughter the B&W Zepellin and love the sound - do you really feel that it lacks the sound quality of the Beosound 8?  I don't.

Maybe not Ian, but it doesn't allow me to swap out and use red, yellow or other frets to match the style of the room or mood ;)

Seriously, I love my BS8. Great sound (not superb), decent little remote, functionality and the fact you can swap around the colours, is a bonus for me. 

Plus, quite a few people I know have a Zeppelin. I prefer to have something different, even if it means paying a few pounds extra.

• 02-12-2012 4:34 AM In reply to

jarnim:

What I do not understand is: why was B&O unable to deliver a Beosound 8 with Airplay capabilty the moment the Beolit 12 came out!!? To me, that's VERY frustrating, because I would much rather get the Beosound 8, however, I do now want to sacrifice on Airplay possiblities. Yes, I do know about the Airport Express, but ever since I got a B&W Zeppelin Air I am spoiled... (just wish it had the B&O quality of sound to it).

I have tried a 12 and various other airplay speakers.  Regardless of sound, cost, looks, the requirement to boot the things up every time I want to listen to music in the kitchen means I won't buy one.  Same applies when they launch an air version of bs8, the technology is just a bit pants in that regard.

However, a BeoSound 8 with a seperate airport express is the perfect solution for me.  It wakes up via the phono inputs as soon as I select the airport express in AirPlay.  Thebs8 goes to sleep when not in use, but the airport, and so the airplay decide is always on. The fact that I can run a 5m cable between the devices means the bs8 lives in a corner, surrounded by dect phones and other sources of wifi badness, but works faultlessly as the airport is located in a more wifi friendly location.

I just don't get the need to have everything built in, it often works better, and gives better upgrade options.

• 02-13-2012 9:09 AM In reply to

I am looking to create a AE driven BeoSound 8 setup myself. I agree with the BeoLit 12 issue about powering up however I have found a temporary solution. I operate the Beolit 12's now via Airfoil Speakers and Airfoil Reemote. Under this setup if you activate the speakers, even if the sound source is turned off. The Belit 12's stay active all the time. Not perfect, but working foe me for now.

C.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)