in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-09-2012 8:11 AM by Chrisreunion. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-08-2012 3:00 PM

MacMini into a Beosound 8 - How feasible?

All,

I am about to take ownership of a Beosound 8 (dealer delivering on Monday). It has occured to me over this week that I could feed my existing MacMini (being used as a medi server) directly into the Beosound 8 via a 3.5mm to Phono Jack lead and then listen to all my iTunes based music via the Beosounds AUX input.

Am I correct in this assumption?

c.

• 02-08-2012 3:02 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: MacMini into a Beosound 8 - How feasible?

I do believe so!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-08-2012 4:26 PM In reply to

Anyone know whether it is better to link via the 3.5mm jack to Phono or USB to USB? The MacMini has both outputs as does the Beosond 8.

c.

• 02-08-2012 4:48 PM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

USB sound should (could) be better, and the the BS8 will sense the USB input.  You could then use the "remote" app on an iThing to control the music and offer feedback on what is playing.  

• 02-08-2012 4:58 PM In reply to

• Hungedu
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2009
    • Ambergris Caye, Belize
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

I have used my BeoSound 8 with my MacBook Air through USB, and it worked flawlessly.

BeoVision 7-55 3D, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound 8, BeoLab 7-6, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, LC-1, BeoTime (analog clock), Form 1 headphones, Beo 4 remote.

• 02-08-2012 6:26 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

You would want to have a screen though wouldn't you?

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 02-09-2012 12:22 AM In reply to

I use the Appleremote app in my phone to control the music in itunes in my Macmini. It workss perfect, If you have a Ipad or similar you can use the same app to control Itunes or other assp to control the whole macmini - If you dont want to have a big screen..

I had my macmini connected with USB, the sound quality is better than the 3,5 mm plug. 

BeoCenter 2, Beovision 10-46, BeoLab3, BeoLab4000, BeoLab3500, Beo4

• 02-09-2012 2:55 AM In reply to

Like rikarde, I intend to control the Beosound 8 from my iPhone using the Apple Remote and Airfoil Reemote. One app allows music and playlist selection and the other connects to various speakers throughout the house (now supplemented with 2 x Beolit 12's).

This means I have around the house music all controlled from my iPhone.

Chris

(p.s. although currently struggling with the Beolit 12 power issues - see separate thread - Beolit 12 Normal Operation?)

• 02-09-2012 8:07 AM In reply to

Hi, using the USB connection from your Mac Mini should improve your sound experience, since the DAC in the BeoSound 8 does some upsampling to 24 bit and 48 Khz , besides, as others said, you benefit from Apple Remote app , the only limitation being that, if you have more than 1 room to feed, you'll have to select the sound output manually on the Mac Mini (since BS8 via USB works as an external sound card).Smile

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 02-09-2012 8:11 AM In reply to

Hi, using the USB connection from your Mac Mini should improve your sound experience, since the DAC in the BeoSound 8 does some upsampling to 24 bit and 48 Khz , besides, as others said, you benefit from Apple Remote app , the only limitation being that, if you have more than 1 room to feed, you'll have to select the sound output manually on the Mac Mini (since BS8 via USB works as an external sound card).Smile

Reunion Island is greeting you!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)