in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-10-2012 8:18 PM by elephant. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-08-2012 2:36 PM

Beolit 12 Normal Behaviour?

I have recently purchased two Beolit 12's. I have them both set up on the Wireless network and am able to choose them from the iTunes Airplay menu as appropriate. All good, however, if the Beolit 12 is left on and connected to the wireless network but no music is playing eventually the units seem to turn themselves offf (all lights go out). This necessitates me having to manually turn them back on before being able to play music to them from iTunes at my PC. Is this normal behaviour? Is there not a way of keeping them switched on all the time?

chris

• 02-08-2012 2:43 PM In reply to

• valve1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Dublin Ireland
    • Posts 213
    • Gold Member

Re: Beolit 12 Normal Behaviour?

Going out on a limb here having never seen a bl12, but sounds like an energy saving idea ?

• 02-08-2012 2:54 PM In reply to

Yes, probably but there doesn't seem to be a way of turning it off or disabling it. Annoying! ;-)

c.

• 02-09-2012 2:48 AM In reply to

I am now beginning to consider this 'feature' a 'major flaw' in the Beolit's operational behaviour. I am not sure how this product is supposed to work. If I am in my kitchen where one of the Beolit 12's is placed and I want to listen to music from my iPhone via Airplay, first I have to turn the Beolit 12 on, then I have to wait for it to join the network before it appears in the Airplay list on the phone and I am able to choose it as a source. Way too much messing around. If you have mor ethan one of these things and have to go through that procedure when you move from room to room - what is the sense in that?

I can't believe that is normal operation... is it?

Chris

• 02-09-2012 3:02 AM In reply to

• grieg007
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2007
    • Bergen, Norway
    • Posts 54
    • Gold Member

I was also dissapointed with this "feature". I can understand that on battery, the Beolit needs to go into a power save mode after 15min. But the same thing happens when connected to the mains! My dealer said that he had written B&O and that this might come as a software update. It takes my Beolit 2 minutes to be up and running and it tests my patience at times when I want to listen to music.

• 02-09-2012 3:09 AM In reply to

Agreed. This kind of 'poor user experience' is exactly why I believe Apple are beginning to corner this market - they are very good at making sure the 'user experience' is as seamless as possible. The product may be great, but if my experience of using it is 'nigglesome' I quickly tire.

I too can understand a device in battery mode auto turning itself off after a set period of time, but on mains and in the scenario I am using these devices it is not appropriate. The device should allow the user to choose whether the unit switches itself off and after what period of time.

c.

• 02-09-2012 8:46 AM In reply to

• LarsH
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-23-2007
    • Uppsala, Sweden
    • Posts 42
    • Gold Member

Hi!

Go to an Apple store and try it with e.g. Bose Soundlink... Same behaviour...

I see the use of always having it "on", but that would be only ferasible with main cord in. The unit to connect to has to show up in the list on the iPhone before selecting...

This comes more to Airplay and how it's designed to work. Some of it comes back to basic computing/programming philosofical problems.

/Lars

• 02-09-2012 9:35 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

LarsH:

Hi!

Go to an Apple store and try it with e.g. Bose Soundlink... Same behaviour...

I see the use of always having it "on", but that would be only ferasible with main cord in. The unit to connect to has to show up in the list on the iPhone before selecting...

This comes more to Airplay and how it's designed to work. Some of it comes back to basic computing/programming philosofical problems.

/Lars

Yeah Lars is absolutely right here.

That being said it is kind of a nuisance with the BeoLit connected to the mains and fortunately B&O knows that.  Wait and see Smile

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 02-09-2012 11:36 AM In reply to

I accept the point that this is related to how Airplay works but it is reasonable to expect that a device in order to show up on a wireless network needs to be powered and 'on'. The only reason that the Beolit 12 drops off the wireless network is because it powers down by itself even when connected via mains.

I will be very surprised if B&O don't revise the operation of the Beolit 12 via a software update, as this is clearly an oversight.

Chris

• 02-09-2012 11:39 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Could this be because of a legislative standby power requirement similar to the main speaker range?

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-09-2012 11:53 AM In reply to

Puncher:
    Could this be because of a legislative standby power requirement similar to the main speaker range?

I thought it was because it was made in China! Stick out tongue

• 02-09-2012 12:24 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Mr10Percent:

Puncher:

I thought it was because it was made in China! Stick out tongue

Don't start!Laughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 02-09-2012 12:47 PM In reply to

chadders:
    If I am in my kitchen where one of the Beolit 12's is placed and I want to listen to music from my iPhone via Airplay, first I have to turn the Beolit 12 on, then I have to wait for it to join the network before it appears in the Airplay list on the phone and I am able to choose it as a source. Way too much messing around. If you have mor ethan one of these things and have to go through that procedure when you move from room to room - what is the sense in that?

Hmmm yeah....thats progress for ya Big Smile

Get yourself a proper Bang & Olufsen product from the anytime between 1925 til the 2000's. A Beosystem or a Beocenter of some kind such as a BC9500 or a BS7000 or BS9000 and use link room set up.

Job done Laughing 

Michael

BV5, BV Avant, MX4000, MX1500

BS 7000, BS 5500

Penta III, Penta II, BL 4000, RL 60.2,  RL 35, CX-100 Alu

BL 7000, MCP6500, MCP5500,  BL 5000,  Beo4 (x2), BL 1000 (x2)

• 02-09-2012 1:12 PM In reply to

Yeah, the old beolits never had this problem way back in the day.....

• 02-10-2012 4:11 AM In reply to

Here are two scenarios which indicate why I believe the Beolit 12, if it continues to adopt its current mode of operation, will never catch on...

Scenario 1: I am in one of the lounges or a snug room. I have just watched a great film and am comfortably ensconsed in my lovely warm sofa. I decide that I would like to listen to some soothing music whilst finishing my glass of wine. I have my iPhone on the arm of my sofa and use it to select my favourite 'chill out' track, only to realise that in order to choose my speaker source (Beolit 12) I have to get up, walk across the room, and turn it on. A perfect moment compromised.

Scenario 2: I am snuggled up in bed appreciating the fact it is Saturday and I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to go to the office, instead I can wallow in the warmth of the dovet and listen to my favourite piece of Bach. I have my iPhone at my bedside running the beautiful Beoplayer (as a clock), I pick it up and choose my favourite piece only to realise that I have now got to get out of bed, walk across the room, to turn on the Beolit 12. Bliss shattered.

Now, don't get me wrong, I appreciate Bang & Olufsen's noble intent to get the nation more active and preventing them from wallowing in their squallor. I recognise the value such increase in activity will bring to both my health and svelt-like physique, but I suspect however noble the intent... it will never catch on!

Just my twopeneth...

c.

• 02-10-2012 10:09 AM In reply to

chadders:
    I appreciate Bang & Olufsen's noble intent to get the nation more active and preventing them from wallowing in their squallor. I recognise the value such increase in activity will bring to both my health and svelt-like physique

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I take it that in your scenarions there are no BeoVisions and no link room speakers ?

I think you will be kept svelt-like just by working hard to be able to afford all the kit you need to able to relax properly :-)

You paint some interesting pictures of domestic bliss ... but I am not sure that the BeoLit was designed to meet those scenarios !

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 02-10-2012 10:41 AM In reply to

elephant:

I take it that in your scenarions there are no BeoVisions and no link room speakers ?

I think you will be kept svelt-like just by working hard to be able to afford all the kit you need to able to relax properly :-)

You assume correctly, there are no other B&O items involved although I shall soon be employing a Beosound 8 in my main listening room which will be fed by a MacMini. The intention was to be able to then share sound between all B&O units via the Beolit 12's via the iPhone APP. All of which is possible and works perfectly once I have been around the house first switching on all the Beolit 12's. Seems a missed opportuity by B&O not to make this option user switcheable.

c.

• 02-10-2012 10:54 AM In reply to

Sonos systems do not auto switch off, neither should Beolit 12

• 02-10-2012 2:38 PM In reply to

chadders:
    You assume correctly, there are no other B&O items involved although I shall soon be employing a Beosound 8 in my main listening room

Michael

BV5, BV Avant, MX4000, MX1500

BS 7000, BS 5500

Penta III, Penta II, BL 4000, RL 60.2,  RL 35, CX-100 Alu

BL 7000, MCP6500, MCP5500,  BL 5000,  Beo4 (x2), BL 1000 (x2)

• 02-10-2012 8:18 PM In reply to

chadders:
    The intention was to be able to then share sound between all B&O units via the Beolit 12's via the iPhone APP.

For that scenario I would recommend (more expensive I know) in each room the combo of Airport Expresses and BeoLab 4s (PC only version), the AEs will always be receptive, and once they start transmitting the audio signal I believe the BL4s will activate and come to life ... no hands on needed :-)

and BL4s will also give you better stereo separation and options like wall mounts !

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)