in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-18-2012 5:17 AM by a2bur. 65 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (66 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-05-2012 3:56 PM

Out of date so quick

Difference between now and the 70's to 90's is back then you got something that was the arguably the best , and didn't have to or need replacing for many years . I put off my purchase of a BV7-40 from a BV3 until the Mk3 came out , thought at the time WOW what a picture , this picture quality will last me for years . How wrong I was , I got my son a Samsung 55" for Xmas ( £999 ) it has everything , 3D , Smart TV + all other features and it can use a USB stick . Sad to say the picture on my BV7 is poor in comparison , probably has a reasonable value being a Mk3 but not for long , most B&o Tv's on Ebay don't sell or if they do it's for very little . Probably the new B&o's TV picture quality is a match for the others , but what is around the corner .  
    My only consolation is the Samsung remote is CR**P ( even if it dose light up in the dark )  .  
  • 02-05-2012 4:32 PM In reply to

Re: Out of date so quick

This is exactly why I struggle buying any tv of B&O. Bought a new bv6 with stand and an Bv7 in 2010. It is a complete write off. Only speakers are excellent value for money.

There is no way I can sell my wife that we need a new tv and throw 4k away after 2 years. I will stop upgrading now and see what the future will bring. The bv 6 is dropped even more... 50% if I'm lucky. I do not even want to know what that is in hours because it is in the bedroom.

A shame really and I do not even want to be the one complaining because I love all the stuff. I think with all the global recession people are getting more critical every day. You can only spend it once.

Wanna play?!! (Also a PRIZEWINNER ON BEOWORLD!) 

• 02-05-2012 4:50 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

a2bur:

I got my son a Samsung 55" for Xmas ( £999 ) it has everything , 3D , Smart TV + all other features and it can use a USB stick . Sad to say the picture on my BV7 is poor in comparison , probably has a reasonable value being a Mk3 but not for long

My Mother bought a 40" Samsung at Christmas and, I'll be fair, I was genuinely surprised with the picture quality. She remarked on how much it was (under £700) and that it wouldn't be up to my B&O TV (BV7-40). Very wrong, it was definitely superior.

However, the audio was very poor in comparison and the build quality was cheap. Remote wasn't great either.

It really depends what you want in your home. Let's be honest here, buying a B&O is as much to do with your design statement as it is about picture quality. People remark on my BV10-46, even switched off. With the contrast red speaker fret, it gets people talking (in a positive way). A Samsung will never do that.

Also remember that once you do buy B&O, you get a reasonable (not as great as it has been) trade-in value from your dealer. You can keep a B&O TV for 2-3 years, trade it in, and the cost against a new B&O is much reduced.

Problem is....getting on the ladder in the first place. Clearly.

• 02-05-2012 5:14 PM In reply to

"Difference between now and the 70's to 90'..."

It's more a sign that we now live in a world when buy something we consider what it will be worth in a couple of years, in the decades before ebay we bought things to enjoy not to eventually re-sell.

• 02-05-2012 6:01 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

danezro:

"Difference between now and the 70's to 90'..."

It's more a sign that we now live in a world when buy something we consider what it will be worth in a couple of years, in the decades before ebay we bought things to enjoy not to eventually re-sell.

But the problem here is that we're forced in to that situation in order to get a reasonable trade-in from our older B&O product. For instance, my BV7-40 MKIV is more interesting to my dealer than a MKIII and far far more interesting (read: easier to resell) than a MKI. As a result, they price up accordingly.

I try and upgrade every three years and it pans out well. I get a good trade-in deal, plus a new panel, dealer comes in, takes the old one away and installs the new TV for free - what's not to like? It might cost me £2000-3000 every three years, but then that's only a little more than a top-of-the-range Sony and I guarantee you the Sony will be worth nothing in three years.

Sign of the world or not, that's life. Life shifts, it moves on. We can't just keep living in the 80s.

• 02-05-2012 11:42 PM In reply to

.... You watch your tv for hours ... And then you turn it on .......

Who needs the latest and  greatest .... Rediscovered my BS9000 after a short stint with mp3s. Have a BV8 and won't change that for few more years ....

just slow down ......  Most movies are not worth the 15 bucks for the DVD to beginn with .....

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 02-06-2012 1:47 AM In reply to

This is a good thread, Moxxey was talking about someone having a conversation with a dealer about £800 tv compared to £8000 for a b&o tv!  that is some gap!!  You when it comes down to it, its only the remote that makes me stay with b&o

• 02-06-2012 2:17 AM In reply to

• Karla
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-19-2008
    • USA
    • Posts 81
    • Bronze Member

Not as out of date as it would seem!

We just had 12 guests over to watch the Super Bowl on the Avant........and all of them were amazed at the picture and sound, and they all asked as to where they could get this television. I will hold out and wait until something on the market approaches the Avant and then we can talk about being out of date.

(The Avant also worked flawlessly providing ML audio of the game throughout the apartment.)

• 02-06-2012 2:49 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

I quite often sit and muse why do we need such large screens/panels? I always thought of tv's being a life add on, not a focal point!

I have a reasonably modern house, open plan, with no convenient wall(not flooded with sunlight to hang a tv consequently I need a trad tv presentation ie on a stand - larger panels do not lend themselves to that.

I use a 7-32, a 6-26 a 4002 and a 17" panel which is now 8 years old(came from a cheapo outlet here in France think it cost 200€ however it begins to show its age picture quality wise)

All are/have been excellent investments, picture quality on the 7 and the 6 using hd via scart are as good as hd via hdmi - I muse, am I unique in having no desire for a huge screen?

Tony

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 02-06-2012 4:56 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

I completely agree about the Avant. A 10 year old world beating set that is still relevant. Then again then was only 1 format in CRT, thus making it easier for a small company to concentrate on surely.

Will I be still saying the same in 7 years about my 7? With OLED, Sony new Chrystal LCD matching OLED but using tested technology, Apple tv using a 40 inch retina display all about to launch it must be like fighting a loosing battle planning ahead. I would invest in a new Beovision 12 this year with a house move in the pipeline, but I need to know it really is an investment, and not a over indulgence of soon to be average technology. I think if it were launched 5 years ago I'd buy into the fact that other technologies were merely developing ideas. LG and Samsung will be launching 55inch models this year at £6,000, a price commentators are coughing at!!!!!

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 02-06-2012 5:17 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

I do believe that the real question is : can we have a tv that has a good picture with every sources in every conditions, with a good design and is simple to operate ?

I think B&O tvs go in the right direction.

I think that a BV7-40 MKIII has got a good picture with standard definition and a very good picture with HD.

So, buying a B&O tv these days is a reflexion about the price (sure, it's very expensive), but i think for the price, we can get a very good package in terms of picture, sound, picture processing, design, integration...

Of course, the Avant could last 20 years.

A new B&O tv can last at least 5 years if the sources are not changing (standard definition and 720 + 1080p).

I trade my BV3-32 for a BV10-40, and i'm really happy with the picture.

Plus, i got a very good sound (not the Avant sound, of course, but it's really OK), an amazing design, the Beo4 remote, the PUC...

4 times the price of a samsung, but so much more attractive.

Of course, the 17 000 Euros BV12 is another story...

• 02-06-2012 5:41 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

If the 10-40 was 4 times the UK price of a Samsung, I'd have 2.

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 02-06-2012 5:48 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

stotty1111:

I use a 7-32, a 6-26 a 4002 and a 17" panel which is now 8 years old(came from a cheapo outlet here in France think it cost 200€ however it begins to show its age picture quality wise)

Anything looks good on a non-1080P <32" screen! I can watch SD on my BC6-26 and never even realise I'm not watching, say, Sky Sports HD. There's zero need for HD etc on a 32" or lower screen.

However, move to the BV10-46, with its 1080P screen and SD looks pixelated and sport is unwatchable. Of course, HD is superb.

That's the problem - an Avant or similar is fine if you don't want a large screen. If you want a 40/46/55 or larger TV - and many people do these days - then you're stuffed.

No argument saying picture quality on the BV7-32 is as good as HDMI/HD as it's the size of the panel, not the quality of the TV. Move up to 46" and try the same thing again.

If you're happy sticking with a 32" TV, then picture quality isn't an issue as it's good whatever the source.

• 02-06-2012 8:15 AM In reply to

Very happy with my Avant and indeed my BV5. Picture is fine to my eyes on both and the sound brilliant. Not planning to change any time soon!

• 02-06-2012 9:23 AM In reply to

I have to say that if SD looks pixellated,and sport is unwatchable,on a 46" TV then one has to question the quality of either the aerial/dish installation,or the TV's processing.

I had no such problems with my 4 year old 60" Pioneer Plasma TV.

It is a sad fact of life that LCD,given it's initial problems,not all of which have been resolved,has been a rapidly advancing technology.

Only now have I felt confident about buying into LCD/LED,and my choice has been B & O.

In buying an expensive TV one hopes that external quality is matched by that of the internal components,construction,and final quality control inspection.

Unfortunately,buying a TV,even a top of the range model,from one of the major brands has become too much of a lottery in terms of obtaining a fault free set.

• 02-06-2012 10:56 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

I agree..

I've been a B&O fan since forever. Bought my first TV set (LS5500) in 1990 it was not the double price of a comparable Sony, but close, but so much better looking and gave that nice feeling to use it ever since.

But today, its not the double price, we are talking 10 times compared to a decent/good value plasma or LED from some of the larger manufacturers. It's hard even to convince myself it is value for money any more..

/P

• 02-06-2012 11:40 AM In reply to

I just bought a used BV4-42 and don't have to worry about it getting out of date, it allready is! In the old days we were happy with what we had. Today we have much better quality in picture and sound and after a short while we get unhappy because there is something new. Why can't we just be happy with the products we have? The future will keep bringing new products, but do we really need them as soon as they arrive?

• 02-06-2012 11:44 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Blackrix:

Why can't we just be happy with the products we have? The future will keep bringing new products, but do we really need them as soon as they arrive?

Partly as we want larger screens, improved panels and so on. 

It's impossible for an SD signal to deliver anything near HD quality as it's a low-bitrate 576i pixel transmission. Sure a plasma may be able to smooth out some of the pixelisation you may get from an SD signal, but I can tell you now that HD is vastly improved, particularly for watching sport.

• 02-06-2012 11:45 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Double post due to forum issues :(

• 02-06-2012 11:56 AM In reply to

moxxey:

Blackrix:

Why can't we just be happy with the products we have? The future will keep bringing new products, but do we really need them as soon as they arrive?

Partly as we want larger screens, improved panels and so on.

Exactly, because we want larger screens, not because we need them. And the industry is playing with this by giving us new products with new better specs as fast as possible to make sure the product you have at home is out of date so you want to buy a new one. Not because it is broken, but because you want the newest technology.  B&O is trying hard to keep up to date, but the company is small so it is hard for them. So can we blame B&O for our own wish to have the newest technology, even when we don't really need it?

• 02-06-2012 12:03 PM In reply to

• CJM1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-01-2011
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

i received an Avant for Christmas and i ML it up to my Ouverture. iv never had a tv that is so good. When i sit on the bed the screen creates an illusion of HD and the colours from picutre tubes beat LCD panels by far. i do love the new beovison 10 but the sound isnt as deep as the avant. I do like the picture ease of use and the looks of all B&O tvs. and i think there design icons that last for ever. Which does include the Sound and picture

• 02-06-2012 1:17 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Blackrix:

Exactly, because we want larger screens, not because we need them. 

Well, one could argue that the availability drives demand, much like a slimmer Macbook Air encourages people to upgrade, faster broadband results in people migrating and so on. You don't need that extra speed, but it's sure nice to have it.

Some people wil be buying larger panels as they have large rooms. Even in my TV room, a BV10-32 looks tiny. I could get a BV10-55 in a large room and it wouldn't look out of place....if a BV10-55 existed.

Just because you're happy with your CRT 32", it doesn't apply to everyone :)

• 02-06-2012 1:31 PM In reply to

moxxey:

Blackrix:

Exactly, because we want larger screens, not because we need them. 

Well, one could argue that the availability drives demand, much like a slimmer Macbook Air encourages people to upgrade, faster broadband results in people migrating and so on. You don't need that extra speed, but it's sure nice to have it.

Some people wil be buying larger panels as they have large rooms. Even in my TV room, a BV10-32 looks tiny. I could get a BV10-55 in a large room and it wouldn't look out of place....if a BV10-55 existed.

Just because you're happy with your CRT 32", it doesn't apply to everyone :)

I am still happy with my 32" CRT but still bought a 42" plasma. Why? I got a good deal. But what I am trying to say is that we complain about the fast change in technology and new products where we want it ourselfs. We don't have to buy the latest technology, that is everybody's own choise.

• 02-06-2012 2:45 PM In reply to

In the UK at least, big panels are chavvy. Anything >32" in a small boxy UK house just looks ridiculous. Fair enough if you're in a massive open-plan apartment, but if you're not and your eyes work, why do you want a 60" screen FFS? I was at a relative's house recently and they had just 'upgraded' (i.e. been on the weekly shop to ASDA) to some Samsung behmoth that literally occluded the entire living room window in their 3 bed semi. It was the most ridiculous and vulgar thing I have ever seen in a domestic interior. Do I want people to think I purchase my electrical goods at BrightHouse?

Do I ****!!!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 02-06-2012 2:52 PM In reply to

I totally agree with John on this. I've alays thought large screen TVs were inredibly chavvy and rather council estate as statistics and trends have shown.

I must admit, if i walk into someone's house with a large TV, i tend to thinkt that they are rather uneducated. Do young people still buy televisions? From my Internet, laptop generation crowd i'd be tempted to think not and put it doen to a dying market.

Personally, i'd rather be at the gym, out surfing or biking but maybe that's just me :)

Page 1 of 3 (66 items) 1 2 3 Next >