in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-30-2012 5:20 PM by graemeben. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-30-2012 11:02 AM

• Scorey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-30-2012
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Uk digital changeover

I have a beovision 3-28  from 2003. What freeview box should I go for as the UK 

Changes to digital tv in April 2012?

• 01-30-2012 3:33 PM In reply to

Re: Uk digital changeover

It all depends on what you want to spend and what you want the freeview box (STB) to do. Do you want to just "convert" the TV to Freeview or take advantage of Freeview Plus and be able to record and or view another channel at the same time.

I live in Devon and our analogue signal was one of the first to be turned off!! I Have a non HD BV5 and use a Humax PVR 9200T with a twin tuner and 320GB hard drive. This model was in the STB controller list on the TV so works with my Beo4 & Beo5. It allows me to watch one program and record another or record two and watch a third depending on wich channel they are.

I chose Humax as they have an excellent record for updating the software even on the older models, they seem reliable and are very easy to instal and use. I bought mine here.

You can go for a simple cheap single tuner Freeview STB and they go anything from about £20 up.

Or go for twin tuner + hard drive recorder from under £100

Some DVD player/recorders have Freeview tuners built in.

I had a look at the user manual for the BV3 on here and it seems it has an STB controller option. Does yours have that? If it does and you choose a model in the list you will get Beo4 compatibility, otherwise if it's not in the list you'll be using 2 remotes.

Others will have their favourite model and no doubt will let you know.

Good luck

Stoobie

• 01-30-2012 4:37 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I will second the Humax bx's in fact mine is also a 9200t :)

Olly.

• 01-30-2012 4:46 PM In reply to

• Guy1680
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-18-2007
    • Viborg, Denmark
    • Posts 104
    • Gold Member

I have just switched from a Humax Freeview 9200T to a Humax Freesat HDR box (for out here in Denmark) - both are great.  And if you buy direct from Humax they do some Manager Specials: 'Grade A' refurbished boxes with full warranty...

• 01-30-2012 4:52 PM In reply to

Not sure about Freeview HD boxes and the BV3 as I don't think you get any gain on a CRT TV.

But Humax seems to be very popular :o)

Stoobie

• 01-30-2012 4:53 PM In reply to

• Scorey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-30-2012
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Many thanks. Not sure which route I will go but this will definitely help me.

• 01-30-2012 5:06 PM In reply to

We generally advise people to look at the Humax range as they have a nice menu structure and overlay. If you are using a B&O CRT set the new PUC tables do not normally support the latest HD type tuners so this would mean using two remotes.
  • 01-30-2012 5:20 PM In reply to

Hi. Haven't been on this site for ages but just happened to be browsing tonight and came across your enquiry. You don't say if you have the set top box controller for your BV3 but I have in my BV3 32 and use a Nokia 221T which works nicely with my Beo4. However, I would advise that this box itself can be troublesome and I regularly( once or twice a week) have to unplug it from the mains and plug in again to unfreeze it. Updates have to be done in stages - Google Nokia221T problems- and you will see what I mean. 

I have also used before the Panasonic TUCT20, again ok with Beo4, but this completely packed up on me. If you don't have the set top box controller then I guess any Modern freeview box will be ok as you wont need to use your Beo4 with it anyway. I also have a Panasonic DVD recorder with inbuilt freeview.( No Beo4 control either). Recording may be another consideration for you.

Graeme.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)