in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-19-2012 2:53 AM by paularenson. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-30-2012 9:04 AM

Considering BeoSound 8, but warning about the Ipad (1st generation) make me unsure

Hello.  I am in Japan and visited the showroom today. In my new house, I had been hoping to mount the BeoSound 8 on the wall, but the salesperson said with my Ipad, it is not recommended.  I also worry that, even if noto n the wall, when the Ipad is docked, my cats could knock up against it (an earthquake might cause this too) and bend the docking connector.  Is this a worry?

I am wondering about two possibilities:

1) Just use the line out on the IPad. Or, better yet, just use the line out on my old 2006 MacBook Pro (with a DV cable to the TV) and I could use that as the source instead of the IPad.  I assume this works.   But would the remote still control my volume, or would I have to set it on both the BeoSound 8 AND the Ipad/ Mac?

2) If I DO use the IPAD, is there such a thing as an extender cable, so that I plug one end into the IPad and the other end, terminating in the same type of connector, plugs into the doc?

Thanks in advance!

Paul Arenson

PS

Previewed the tiny AIRPLAY Beo 12 today.  Not bad, but less stereo separation. In some ways comparable to Geneva Labs(M). I much prefer the BeoSound 8 (the cheapest B&O in my budget), which bears some resemblance in sound to the Geneva (L) model, the one that has a CP Player attached.  But still teh B&O 8 sounds better.

• 02-05-2012 10:57 PM In reply to

Re: Considering BeoSound 8, but warning about the Ipad (1st generation) make me unsure

Doesn't anyone have any comments about or experience with what I am asking about?

1) Basically want to know about using Macbook Pro and/or Ipad line out to Beosound.

2) And, assuming Ipad dock is better (though I was told not to ount on the wall if I use it),   want to know if there is an extender cable that I can use to hook up the Ipad to the dock? I have seen them, but want to make sure they work.

Thank you!

`

• 02-06-2012 12:41 PM In reply to

Re: Considering BeoSound 8, but warning about the Ipad (1st generation) make me unsure

The reason they suggest not using the iPad in the BS8 when wall mounted is a stability issue. The iPad can fall out, which could be a bit of a downer! I would suggest the dock exnder would be the most sensible solution as you will maintain sound quality. Shame the BS8 does not have Airplay.

• 02-06-2012 8:28 PM In reply to

Thanks.....I take it that the doc extender is the brand?  I have seen several.  That said, I may just put the thing on the table with the TV.  I am still concerned about eventually breaking or bending the dock, given the Ipad is heavy.   That said, Iw ould not need to take it out very much.  (my CATS might be interested--I hope not).

• 02-09-2012 3:41 PM In reply to

• paul
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-10-2009
    • dublin
    • Posts 130
    • Gold Member

for any cables i suggest you email Steve at Sounds Heavenly (his add is on this site)

P

BeoVision 7-40 MKIV with BeoLab 7-4 Vertical speaker, BeoSound 9000 CD/Tuner, Speakers are a pair of  BeoLab 5 in Black with a pair of BeoLab 4000 as rear speakers, and in bedroom BeoCentre 6-26 with BeoLab 8000's. Both the Kitchen and bathroom have Beolab3500's. BeoCom 2 and BeoCom 5 phones. Beo 6 and Beo4 remotes. LATEST ADDITION: Beogram 7000 with MMC2 stylus....

• 02-16-2012 5:49 AM In reply to

Hi

Connect an Airport Expres to the aux in on the BS8. This will make it available over airplay. Then you can stream wirelessly from Iphone, Ipad or even macbook etc.

By far the best solution at this time in my opinion

P.s: If you are not in a hurry getting the BS8 right away, I am told there should be an airplay updated version available by this summer.

/Ehlerz

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 02-19-2012 2:53 AM In reply to

Thank you.  I heard this from another person in another forum.  it seems that if I do this, then all i need is an Aiprot Express to reolace my current Time Capsule (or I could use both).  I will be moving to an area with a new cable interet speed of  160 Mbps, as opposed to my current fiber optic of 100Mps.  I wonder about one or two things:

1- will the sound be muted on the Ipad?  I hope I could use it as a remote control of sorts, so that sound ONLY comes out of the Beosoud.

2-I think I have heard that i can also play Apps like Wunderradio (otherwise I would have to use the Itunes app on the Mac that has the Internet radio options).

If I wait and get the Airplay model this summer, then i would just use my regular Time Capsule I take it? Probably can't wait, though!!!

Thank you!

ThanKs!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)