in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-27-2012 3:48 PM by hackel. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-23-2012 10:30 AM

• Linkan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-23-2012
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

BEO6 and Cisco problems

Hi!

I have a customer who has a problem with joining the remote to their Wifi network. I looks like the remote doesn´t support Enterprise class Cisco products. Products used is Cisco ASA5505 (firewall,router,dhcp server) and 5 X Cisco 1142 (AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9) Accesspoints. I can see the network SSID in remote control interface but it just keeps on connecting but times out. I have tried other low end product and it works ok.

I have been in contact with BO support in Denmark but without any solution provided and they confirm that their remote beo6 isn´t compatible with several Cisco Enterprise Class products. They think it is the way beo6 makes dhcp discovery. At firewall i can see log of handled request and discover but nothing shows when beo6 tries to connect.

Does anyone heard of this and have any suggestion for a solution? Is there any other remotes that can handle 2 way communication so that the user can atleast see songs and playlist (albumcover is not so important). Unit is a Beomaster 5.

Regards,

Linkan

• 01-27-2012 6:07 AM In reply to

Re: BEO6 and Cisco problems

Linkan,

A Very Warm Welcome to Beoworld.

One of the key differences between home routers and enterprise units such as the Cisco one you have highlighted is the IP address range used.

On all home routers the default IP addresses start 192.168.x.x whereas on enterprise routers it would start 10.220.x.x or something similar.

Also on home routers the DHCP server normally by default will give out IP addresses in the range of 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.100 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 whereas an enterprise DHCP server could give out just about any IP address setup by the enterprise administrator.

The first thing I would do is login to the Cisco router and determine the IP address range the DHCP is providing. If it does NOT start 192.168.x.x then that is your problem.

Regards Keith....

• 01-27-2012 11:18 AM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

Keith, does the Beo6 only accept offers in the 192.168.0.0/16 range? That sounds strange and would exclude use with Apple Airport routers, for example.

This sounds more like a problem in the way that the Beo6 handles DHCP, and it seems like B&O already acknowledged that. In that case we'll have to wait for B&O to provide a solutiion, unless you're ok with comprising security by inserting a consumer access point with NAT for the Beo6 :)

• 01-27-2012 12:05 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

192.168.0.x is not manditory.  I have my Beo6 working on a 10.0.1.x network.

I have a hard time believing this would be a dhcp issue.  I mean, afaik, dhcp has been working pretty flawlessly for maybe 10 yrs or so (note the poster's comment that other cheap devices connect with no issue)...  I have a hard time believing B&O would mess it up.  I would imagine they're using some sort of standard library for their IP stack...  

Then again, as Keith correctly suggests, enterprise routers can be configured in all sorts of ways not typically found in a home network. For example, maybe the DHCP server is not at x.x.x.1 which is the convension of all home network router's that I've seen (i.e. cisco/linksys, netgear and apple).  I see no ability to manually enter a DHCP server IP in the Beo6 so perhaps this is the issue.  To find the DHCP Server's IP drill into your computer's wireless network properties and look for an entry titled something like "IPv4 DHCP Server". 

I would also not rule out that there's an issue with the wireless security (these standards have evolved over the years so, to me, this is much more likely area for problems).  Look at the wireless network properties on a computer connected to this network and validate that they are using WPA security (I don't know if it matters if it is WPA/2-Personal/Enterprise - I'm currently successfully using WPA2-Personal).  I don't know if the Beo6 supports other standards, but it definitely supports this one.

Stan

• 01-27-2012 1:25 PM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

Since you can see the discover in the logs, the Wi-Fi connection is established (discover is sent after the L2 connection is ready). That's why I think it's a DHCP issue. I can be wrong though, that has happened before :-) ...and if the Beo6 can't handle an offer from a non-.1 server address, then it has an issue with DHCP :-) Check the logs, and maybe do some debugging. Unfortunately I'm no ASA expert, so I don't have any specific tips.

• 01-27-2012 1:44 PM In reply to

Linkan:

Hi!

I have a customer who has a problem with joining the remote to their Wifi network. I looks like the remote doesn´t support Enterprise class Cisco products. Products used is Cisco ASA5505 (firewall,router,dhcp server) and 5 X Cisco 1142 (AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9) Accesspoints. I can see the network SSID in remote control interface but it just keeps on connecting but times out. I have tried other low end product and it works ok.

I have been in contact with BO support in Denmark but without any solution provided and they confirm that their remote beo6 isn´t compatible with several Cisco Enterprise Class products. They think it is the way beo6 makes dhcp discovery. At firewall i can see log of handled request and discover but nothing shows when beo6 tries to connect.

Does anyone heard of this and have any suggestion for a solution? Is there any other remotes that can handle 2 way communication so that the user can atleast see songs and playlist (albumcover is not so important). Unit is a Beomaster 5.

Regards,

Linkan

is it set to only accept specific MAC addresses?

f.e. my routers are set up this way; the routers and the devices are trying to connect; but with new devices the MAC address isn't accepted until added to the lists

Note: one router uses the IP range 10.0.0.1 etc the other the 192.168.1.1 range. 

• 01-27-2012 3:48 PM In reply to

For my config, here are the wi-fi mode that doesn't work : WEP, WPA (TKIP), WPA (TKIP+AES)

You should try : WPA (AES/CCMP)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BV7-40, BL9, BL4000, BL2000, BV6-26, Beosound 5, Avant70

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)