in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-26-2012 2:42 AM by Chris. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-23-2012 2:49 AM

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Germany
    • Posts 114
    • Bronze Member

Will there be a BV 10-55 as a follow up for the discontinued BV 9?

Obviously there is no follow up for the now discontinued BV 9. Sadly the BV 7-55 is not only in a different form factor, but it looks huge in comparision.

In my opinion there is substantial gap in the offering of B&O here - regarding the design: Of course the BV 9 was in a different price (and weight) level. But while the BV 10-XX nicely stands at the side of a room like a picture waiting to get hung up (at least when the TV is on the chanterelle feet), the BV 7-55 looks so huge in comparision because the top edge of the TV-set intrudes so much into the room.

Is there anyone else who thinks a BV 10-55 would be very important for B&O?

• 01-23-2012 8:37 AM In reply to

Re: Will there be a BV 10-55 as a follow up for the discontinued BV 9?

I think the potential problem with a 55" edge lit LED TV is that the panel size would accentuate even more the problems inherent in the technology.

To make the TV full backlit LED would increase the set's depth,not to mention it's cost.

• 01-23-2012 8:43 AM In reply to

2012 is the year of OLED.  LG have just launched a 55inch one and apparently, its picture quality is outstanding in every possible way. This is going to make LCD screens incredibly poor in comparison overnight. Tim, i sincerely suggest that you wait a little while.  This market is changing very fast and really, you'll be throwing a ton of money down the drain if you are not careful!

• 01-23-2012 9:00 AM In reply to

Tod Daniel:

2012 is the year of OLED.  LG have just launched a 55inch one and apparently, its picture quality is outstanding in every possible way. This is going to make LCD screens incredibly poor in comparison overnight. Tim, i sincerely suggest that you wait a little while.  This market is changing very fast and really, you'll be throwing a ton of money down the drain if you are not careful!

With regard to OLED has the problem of non uniform ageing of the RGB colours been solved?

I would be very wary of jumping onto a new technology bandwagon.

Look at the problems that manifested themselves with LCD,some of which have still not been resolved.

• 01-23-2012 10:49 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

2012 is the year when LG and Samsung make press anouncements about OLED. Don't be fooled by marketing.

In 2012, OLED :
    - Is still only visible in tech show prototypes
    - Is at least as expensive as a B&O TV, but with no sound, no DSS module...
    - Has to prove that it can display a "better than LCD" picture for more than 5 years
    - Allows makers to make a 4mm-thin TV. Wow, really interesting to have a 4mm-thin TV hanging on the wall instead of a 4cm-thin TV... Some like to have paintings on the wall, some like to have posters... As long as we can't benefit of flexible surface, I prefer paintings ;-)
    - corrects some problems of the LCD that only a few people still have (not enough luminosity, not enough contrast, not enough reactivity...), while adding new problems that everyone will have (aging...)

If you look at the prototypes displayed at the CES, you can see that :

-LG has chosen to use white OLED as illumination only
    -Samsung uses "full color OLED" with no white illumination but direct colored pixels
    -Sony has an interesting full-LED backlight and no OLED : behind each pixel, there is a white LED. That's only a full-LED display, but with this technology, it's almost the same as the LG OLED...

Some were crying for a 3D set 2 or 3 years ago. Now that 3D only starts to be viewable without being sick, the technology is abandoned by Hollywood... LCD is not dated, and we will not see any really interesting-to-buy OLED TV in 2012.

• 01-23-2012 12:17 PM In reply to

I had a go with the Sony OLED screen (I think it was a 15inch model) Christmas 2010 in Selfridges, London. All I can say is stunning in terms of picture quality and the thinness like a piece of A4 paper was bizarre but amazing at the same time.

Weird isn't it how we had to put up with buzzy CRT for decades and decades and yet, within the last 10 years all of these alternatives have appeared with real gumption!

• 01-23-2012 12:41 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

Tod Daniel:

They showed a prototype at a trade show.  Nothing has been "launched" and when these things finally ship expect them to cost as much as a B&O TV with an average life cycle of about 5 years.  We're still very far from OLED being the more dominant technology.  VERY far.

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 01-23-2012 5:59 PM In reply to

Tim:
    In my opinion there is substantial gap in the offering of B&O here - regarding the design: Of course the BV 9 was in a different price (and weight) level. But while the BV 10-XX nicely stands at the side of a room like a picture waiting to get hung up (at least when the TV is on the chanterelle feet)

I agree ... look at this lovely set-up in the Flash Your B&O thread: http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/32101/355199.aspx#355199

Not sure it would work for 55" ! but it does bring back the *wow* factor of the BV5/BV9

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-24-2012 3:54 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Both OLED and Sony's new Chrystal lcd look fascinating with OLED going on sale to "millioniares" at the end of this year. The Chrystal screens look a good bet as they are a new take on current technology, but still giving near OLED images. Do i upgrade my Mk3 or........

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/888174-oled-versus-crystal-led-televisions-a-real-on-screen-battle

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 01-24-2012 8:21 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Germany
    • Posts 114
    • Bronze Member

elephant:
    I agree ... look at this lovely set-up in the Flash Your B&O thread: http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/32101/355199.aspx#355199

Actually, this posting was the reason why I thought about the size of the Beovision 9.

But after reading this thread there are some concerns regarding expensive televisions:

- Technology is evolving so fast and right now there are 3 Technologies I can not ignore:

- OLED Screens

- Autostereoscopic 3D TVs

Actually I think 3D is here to stay - if not with Hollywood, then with homevideo - But I do not want to wear silly glasses. Especially when there is the first autostereoscopic TV available NOW. Can I live with the color of normal LCDs? Yes, but I understand that OLED Screens are superior to everything we have seen to date. As an alternative, give us this sony Technology.

Somehow I have the feeling that the technology of TV is not really mature, this is totally different with Speakers: They are as good as they get: There will probably nothing better then a Beolab 5 for a very long time. 

So, probably I'll get a Beolab 5 first :-)

• 01-24-2012 9:48 AM In reply to

Tim:

this is totally different with Speakers: They are as good as they get: There will probably nothing better then a Beolab 5 for a very long time. 

So, probably I'll get a Beolab 5 first :-)

Think I've read somewhere on this forum that Beolab 5 are going to be superseded soon, and there is a new flagship speaker currently in development......even better & more powerful than the BL5's..?

There will always be something better coming along with everything. I think human nature tends to make us think that when something new & fantastic comes along, it can't possibly ever be bettered - but it always is.

Michael

BV5, BV Avant, MX4000, MX1500

BS 7000, BS 5500

Penta III, Penta II, BL 4000, RL 60.2,  RL 35, CX-100 Alu

BL 7000, MCP6500, MCP5500,  BL 5000,  Beo4 (x2), BL 1000 (x2)

• 01-24-2012 10:17 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

I'm coming to the same conclusion about technology and speakers Tim. Should make the Beolab 5's a bargain maybe. This year a Beolit 12 in Blue, and maybe a Beocentre 23 with DAB for the bedroomTravel

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 01-24-2012 6:52 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Tod Daniel:

I had a go with the Sony OLED screen (I think it was a 15inch model) Christmas 2010 in Selfridges, London. All I can say is stunning in terms of picture quality and the thinness like a piece of A4 paper was bizarre but amazing at the same time.

Everything looks stunning on a 15" screen, even SD :)

But, OLED screens are a long way from production level and, we all know B&O's lead time, even longer in a B&O TV. I can't imagine we'd see anything for a couple of years at the earliest. And even then they will be very expensive. I dread to think the price of a B&O OLED 55" TV!

As I've said before though, much of this picture quality comes from the source. You get an average SD signal and you'll get a poor picture on a 55" LCD. OLED won't improve the signal! LED/OLED simply show the picture "as is", flaws and all. Yes, you get better colour definition on, say, the BV7-55, perhaps better blacks, but the overall picture is defined by the source material.

• 01-25-2012 3:03 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

Back to the topic of the first post:

No, I do not think that a 10-55 will ever reach the market - simply because it has been evaluated and dropped by B&O. As an alternative to BV9, I do think that the BV7-55 fit the job description - when I replaced my BV9 with the 7-55 mk1 I got a sharper picture with improved blacks, but the "moving picture" was not as good as on the plasma. Now, having replaced the screen with the mk2, I must admit that the BV9 is a bit outdated compared to the superior picture quality of the current 7-55. When it comes to size, the 9-deg angle of the BV9 means that the floor stand is exactly as far from the wall for both sets - but I do like the fact that the 7-55 with the low floor stand sits lower, allowing you to have pictures on the wall behind it. So in my setup, the 7-55 is less dominating with the low floor stand and the 7-6 speaker.

I do think that another important trend, along with OLED etc, is the XXL screen sizes. In the not too distant future a 70-80" TV will be considered normal. Remember the discussion back when the BV5-42 was launched? This was as big as a TV for a European living room could get.

Roger

• 01-25-2012 4:33 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

If anyone has access to Sky Anytime, i sudgest you watch the CES Sky News report.

I have put my 7-40 Mk3 improvement plan on indefinite hold. Relevant to 55 inch.

• 01-25-2012 7:30 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Chris:

If anyone has access to Sky Anytime, i sudgest you watch the CES Sky News report.

I have put my 7-40 Mk3 improvement plan on indefinite hold. Relevant to 55 inch.

Can you give us more detail? A synopsis of the report and/or a link? It will be online somewhere.

• 01-25-2012 10:15 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Saw it this morning on anytime. Right at the bottom of the list I think.

OLED years off, I think not. Retailing with Samsung and LG middle to end of the year. A real game changer. Smart tv,s were quite interesting but not really for me. The future though no doubt, with both google and apple both launching very soon.

• 01-25-2012 11:30 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Chris:

OLED years off, I think not. Retailing with Samsung and LG middle to end of the year. 

That's still only speculation. Plus there will be limited sizes (32") and there's no way we'd see OLED from B&O for ages after. You know how much testing and caution they use when choosing new technology. Even if Samsung and LG release OLED panels this year, B&O will be at least (at least) 18 months later.

And, as I said above, OLED won't do anything for you if you don't have the right source material. It will show SD content in all its terribly glory if that's all you have connected to your TV. You need HD or higher to get the most from OLED. An OLED won't somehow turn a poor signal/SD in to a glorious picture. It won't smooth out a bad incoming image!

• 01-25-2012 11:56 AM In reply to

Chris:
    The future though no doubt, with both google and apple both launching very soon.

interesting that Apple's 1.4 million ATVs sold in the fourth quarter of last year still gets classified as a "hobby" because at US$99 they are barely a rounding error in their results ... it is interesting to play with the numbers to see what would make it not a hobby ... higher volumes ? more pull through ? or being a "real" TV ?

whatever they (Apple) do, just having OLED would not be enough of a differentiator or game changer ... not even sure voice based command and control will do it either ... it has to be iApps exploitation but as the next poster says the quality of your source has to be up to scratch, can you imagine a standard iApp being displayed in 1080P ++ resolution ?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-25-2012 12:23 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

I couldn't find the full show but here's the best of what i could find..

http://news.sky.com/home/video/technology/video/16148463

A much more in depth for more detail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9qjfrQLvdM

• 01-25-2012 12:29 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

elephant:

whatever they (Apple) do, just having OLED would not be enough of a differentiator or game changer ...

Not sure it matters, like my post on Facebook in the "outsourcing" thread, people will buy it regardless. It surely will be well designed, probably will integrate Apple TV circuitry and, as everyone likes to be associated with cool brands, people will ditch Sony, Samsung etc to be the first to get a (proper) Apple TV.

Everything Apple is releasing is turning to gold and people love to be seen to be associated with success.

• 01-25-2012 2:46 PM In reply to

moxxey:

Chris:

OLED years off, I think not. Retailing with Samsung and LG middle to end of the year. 

That's still only speculation. Plus there will be limited sizes (32")

I'm no fan of being an early adopter, and personally won't touch OLED until it's had time to become established, but, what's with statements like the above?  Did you watch the report quoted?  2 manufacturers are clearly stating OLED sets available 2012 in sizes upto 55"

• 01-25-2012 5:24 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

rednik:

Did you watch the report quoted?  2 manufacturers are clearly stating OLED sets available 2012 in sizes upto 55"

Remember, I work in tech press. We write the reports. Although I didn't go, a lot of my colleagues were at CES. These reports (above) are from 13 Jan and are just the same things we've covered. As an example: http://www.techradar.com/news/television/oled-tv-what-you-need-to-know-1056228 with the key quote "don't be hugely surprised if both LG and Samsung's debut bigscreen OLED TVs are forever delayed"

There's a LOT of speculation from journalists and playing with words from PR. Plus PR like to further generate interest, very early, to keep their brands in the press.

TV manufacturers are falling over themselves to be the first to launch the "next big thing". HD took off, but 3D wasn't quite so successful. Now we're getting media centre TVs and next OLED. They're keen to get OLED out sooner rather than later as they see this as technology which will encourage HD TV owners to upgrade.....and TV manufacturers want us to buy new TVs.

Remember this is a B&O forum and our discussion should be primarily about how this will affect B&O. It won't, for ages. There's no way B&O will be adopting OLED for ages - I bet a 55" OLED screen will cost a fortune, as a 15" OLED TV is £1500: http://www.cheapelectricals.co.uk/acatalog/LG_15EL9500_15__OLED_TV_Ultra_Slim_HD_Ready_720p_100Hz_1_x_HDMI_-_Black.html

• 01-25-2012 5:56 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

It would be horrible to think that B&O's big release of "Smart TV" was after everyone else had moved on to OLED!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-26-2012 2:37 AM In reply to

Chris:

A much more in depth for more detail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9qjfrQLvdM

The YouTube is CES 2011 ???

"CES 2011 round-up from the AVForums team."

Uploaded by  on Jan 11, 2011

Steve Withers and Phil Hinton from http:///www.avforums.com give their thoughts at the close of CES 2011 in Las Vegas.

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >