in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-05-2012 6:36 AM by Stoobietoo. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-19-2012 3:54 PM

Beomedia 1. A few questions before mine arrives.

I have just purchased a "new" unused BM1 from a B&O dealer. I have read extensively on here about the issues with installing it with Vista and getting the network running etc. I have also read up on its capabilities as far as music and photos go. I see that it can play videos as well but that depends on installing codecs etc.

I currently have an ATV-1 which does everything I want, music, photos, video & simple web surfing (you tube, google, facebook). I know I need to install Beoplayer. I already use that on my PC and have the current version. What will I need to do when I get the BM1?

I have a non HD Beovision 5 and Beosound 9000 (N.Music capable) masterlinked in the main room and 4 Beolab Pentas (2 in the main room & 2 in a wireless link room), a wired Beolab3500 in another room and 2 wireless Beolab 2000's in a futher 2 rooms.

So my questions are :-

1. Where do I install Beoplayer? On the BM1? On my PC? Both places?

2. If I play audio/video on the BM1 will I still have the delay in the sound in the other link rooms? I currently get a delay in link rooms when using my ATV-1 for music/video due to the known issues with audio sync and flat screen TVs..

3. Can I install VLC player on the BM1? (the reason being VLC has almost every codec needed for the files I use) A posting on here suggests you can by logging onto the "PC part" of the BM1 (ie not the B&O layer if that makes sense?) If so, do you make VLC the default player for those file types? the posting dealing with VLC doesn't actuall say what to do.

4. Would I benefit from running the B&O Configuration Guide for the optioning of everything or will it be straight forward/common sense? (I cannot get the giude to run on my PC and have started a thread on that). If so i can borrow a laptop to put it on.

5. Will I be able to acces external drives connected to my PC which will be wired (not wireless) to the BM1, or am I better of transferring all the files onto the BM1.

6. Will I be able to mute the TV picture once I start playing music files on my BV5 (at the moment I cannot mute the picture when playing my ATV-1).

7. Would I be able to install Skype & a webcam and use that in the "PC part" of the BM1 (or better still in the B&O layer.

Please excuse all the questions and I'm sure I'll have more once it arrives early next week.

Thanks for any help in advance

Stoobie

• 01-23-2012 2:32 PM In reply to

Re: Beomedia 1. A few questions before mine arrives.

Hi,

Hope you do not mind that the points are OT equal to your questions. But on the iPad APP I cannot read The thread when replying.

1) beoplayer is needed on the PC.

2) i do not have Any delay in my link rooms with BM1. While I also no not have Ny delays with Apple Tv when distributed through Masterlink.

3) do not know about VLC. In general, the Bm1 is not a great video player. I still use my Apple Tv for this purpose

4) you can use BM1 in different kinds. One is to select PC on the Beo4 where you have B!1 as video source. You can see the menus and do settings. You still can use P.Mute. The other is to use N.Music or N.Radio and it then works as Audio source. I prefer this one.

5) as far as I know you cannot use an external drive. I moved the audio flies to BM1. 250GB for music is quite a lot.

Have fun with the BM.

BeoVision 8-40 / BeoVision 8-32 / Beovision 6-26 / BeoSound 3200 / BeoSound 1 / BeoLab 3 /  Beolab 6000 / Beolab 2000 / Beoport / Beomedia 1 / 3* Beo4 /BeoCom 5 with VOIP

• 01-24-2012 3:29 PM In reply to

Heribert:
    Hi,

Hope you do not mind that the points are NOT equal to your questions. But on the iPad APP I cannot read The thread when replying.

Have fun with the BM.

That is not a problem, thank you for your reply.

Heribert:

1) beoplayer is needed on the PC.

I have Beoplayer on my PC at the moment. There are no settings for the BM1 in the settings. Will I need to re-install it to chose the correct details for BM1? (I seem to remember when I initially installed Beoplayer, it asked about BM1 and/or BeoPort/PC2. Or will those settings come up once BM1 is connected. I'm going to use a wired network connection.

Heribert:

4) you can use BM1 in different kinds. One is to select PC on the Beo4 where you have B!1 as video source. You can see the menus and do settings. You still can use P.Mute. The other is to use N.Music or N.Radio and it then works as Audio source. I prefer this one.

I think I'll be doing a fair amount of experimentation to see which I prefer.

Heribert:

Have fun with the BM.

Thank you for that , I'm sure I'll have loads of fun (and hopefully not too much frustration). It arrived today but I'm really busy at the moment so probably won't be able to try it until the weekend. It's going to be a frustating few days while I can't play! It is not something I want to try when I've only got 20 minutes.

Any answers  from other Beoworlders to my other questions would be helpful.

Thanks

Stoobie

• 01-26-2012 4:40 PM In reply to

Regarding point 5, you can increase storage space by connecting to the BM1 a USB hard drive. There was a post some time ago explaining how to configure it on a BM5, but it also works on the BM1 (I tried and it works perfectly).
  • 01-26-2012 4:59 PM In reply to

Griebel:
    Regarding point 5, you can increase storage space by connecting to the BM1 a USB hard drive. There was a post some time ago explaining how to configure it on a BM5, but it also works on the BM1 (I tried and it works perfectly).

That is excellent news. I have a 500GB external HDD that I'll prbably connect up. I have a couple of hundred CDs that I plan to rip at lossless quality and store on the BM1 and may need the overflow!

It's still in it box and the weekend is comming!!

Stoobie

• 01-31-2012 1:37 PM In reply to

• Quim43
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-15-2007
    • Tarragona (Catalonia)
    • Posts 1,030
    • Gold Member

Hi Stoobie

Maybe you know it already, but you need the Beoport SW, not the Beoplayer, to connect your BM1 with your PC.

Regards

Quim

• 01-31-2012 3:30 PM In reply to

Hi Quim,

I have managed to get the BM1 up and running by re-installing Beoplayer Software. During re-installation it asks if you own BM1 and you tick the box and it installs.

I'll update this thread with the issues I had setting up later this evening!

Thank you

Stoobie

• 02-01-2012 5:42 PM In reply to

So, my Beomedia 1 arrived last week. It was new “old stock” from a B&O dealer. They were a little worried about “posting” it as opposed to coming in and installing it as it is obviously fairly complicated to set up 100% correctly if you are unsure what you are doing.They had set it up in store so I did not have to run through entire set up manual, but because I’d researched on here and am fairly computer literate it was not an impossible task setting it up on my system.

I unpacked it and it was a larger than I expected (maybe because I was spoilt having the ATV1 first which is tiny in comparison). I connected up to my Beovision 5 and I already had a Humax Freeview box (on the decoder scart), DVD2 (on the V.Tape scart) and ATV1 (on the AV scart using a scart to Phono/composite/S-VHS adaptor) so I took out the ATV1 and all the connections fitted into my BM1. All the cables match up and fit and I get the BM1 logo on screen – a good start despite not connecting a S-VHS cable :o)

Everything went fairly well using a keyboard & mouse to set everything up, until I got to the part in the user manual where it says the keyboard & mouse can be disconnected and are no longer needed. At this stage I did not know my BV5 was not able to control the BM1 without the BM1 having its own IR eye – It is not made clear in the user manual that this can happen - so the fun begins . I have a Beo5 set up for my current setup so thought I’d dig out my spare Beo4 so that I’m following exactly what it says in the manual. I added V-AUX to the Beo4 and tried to control the BM1 – nothing – and plugging the mouse & keyboard back in didn’t help me get out of the windows screen. The only thing to do is unplug BM1 and start again :o(

I assumed I must have it in the wrong scart as reading the manual is very vague on which one you can use. So I unplug the DVD and the BM1 and swap them over and go into the TV setup and re allocate the scarts! Turn on and find I now only get a monochrome picture. I assume this must be because I do not have an S-VHS cable attached . Mess around trying to get the Beo4 working and going through the whole setup again because I’d had to unplug it to get out of the Windows screen. I thought at least if I can get the Beo4 controlling it, I could get an S-VHS cable the next day, but still nothing. So can’t get out of the windows screen and have to unplug the BM1.

Then a see a reference to the fact that BM1 can also be controlled using the PC command depending on the setup. Oh… I think….I’ve done it wrong. I add PC to the Beo4 and put everything back as it was, go through the setup and…..Beo4 still doesn’t work but I have colour back. Change it all around in case I need the BM1 in the other scart….and Beo4 still doesn’t work and colour has gone again.

Then I think, maybe it all has to do with the masterlink not being connected. I turn my complete system of and fI wire in a masterlink cable and start again, only to have my Beosound 9000 and BV5 tell me because they’d been off for so long they needed the pin numbers! Eventually found them and started again. To cut a very long, 2 evening story short, the masterlink cable wasn’t the answer. An IR eye was needed. Luckily I had a spare so I found that and in my “spare cables & connectors box” found a headphone style plug with 2m of headphone cable still attached. I came on here looking or a wiring diagram but nothing matched what I had.

A member, Guy1680, kindly pointed me towards a wiring diagram on the lintronic site. I wired up my IR eye and plugged in and switched on. The BM1 would not even start up. I just got a black screen. After changing the wiring about a few times and trying it, it eventually worked and I could control my BM1. I still get the issue with colour/monochrome depending on which scart I use but I’m happy with it in the one that gives colour and not having to fork out for the S-VHS cable.

My USB IR keyboard from the ATV1 even works without any installation. I plugged it in when on the windows screen and unplugged the wired keyboard & mouse and it worked right away :o) I followed member Santiago’s recommendation and installed  "K-Lite mega codec pack" and I can now also play videos in the PHOTO folder.

I had Beoplayer set up on my PC already and I could not see how the BM1 and PC were integrating, so I re-installed Beoplayer and it asks if you have a BM1 so I said yes and it now appears as a drive in my network. I had to remember to change the password in the BM1.

I haven’t had much time to use the full potential of the BM1 yet but I think I’ll be happy with it. I’m trying not to let my ATV1 experience unduly influence my feelings about the BM1 as although they do similar things they were both built with different end users in mind.I'll be moving my media over the weekend and setting it up for N-MUSIC etc.

So far I’m one happy bunny, and the next thing is to set up my Beo5 to control the BM1. At the moment I have a copy of the ATV1 remote on as V-AUX and whilst it controls the BM1 adequately I know once the BM1 is listed on the Beo5 all the various buttons will be available as opposed to the 6 on the Apple remote.  

Stoobie

PS I did a wiring diagram for the BM1 IR Eye and it can be seen here.

• 02-02-2012 3:20 PM In reply to

A marathon effort ! well done and congratulations.

You should great tenancity and it looks like the Beoworld researched prepared you well for those two evenings - even though you must have been frustrated at times

Enjoy !!

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 02-02-2012 5:31 PM In reply to

• paul
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-10-2009
    • dublin
    • Posts 130
    • Gold Member

utterly bewildering....esp to one who needs a tradesman to change a broken lght bulb

Im in awe of ur technical abilities!!!!

:)

paul

BeoVision 7-40 MKIV with BeoLab 7-4 Vertical speaker, BeoSound 9000 CD/Tuner, Speakers are a pair of  BeoLab 5 in Black with a pair of BeoLab 4000 as rear speakers, and in bedroom BeoCentre 6-26 with BeoLab 8000's. Both the Kitchen and bathroom have Beolab3500's. BeoCom 2 and BeoCom 5 phones. Beo 6 and Beo4 remotes. LATEST ADDITION: Beogram 7000 with MMC2 stylus....

• 02-05-2012 6:36 AM In reply to

elephant:

A marathon effort ! well done and congratulations.

You should great tenancity and it looks like the Beoworld researched prepared you well for those two evenings - even though you must have been frustrated at times

Enjoy !!

Beoworld certainly made all the difference with being able to research. It was great to know that even if I could find the info on here already that if I made a new post someone would help within a few hours!

paul:

utterly bewildering....esp to one who needs a tradesman to change a broken lght bulb

Im in awe of ur technical abilities!!!!

:)

paul

I think being a little tecnically minded does help, although when I see some postings on here and see just how much others know, I'm slightly envious. I have all sorts of projects in mind but not the technical know how to make them reality. I want to be compitent enough to refurbish my Penta speakers, but am ham fisted when it comes to soldering.

I've been having great fun with the BM1 and have sat and watched two movies! I added BBC I-Player to the favourites and plan to add ITV-Player, 4-OD and Demand 5. But, whilst you can go to the BBC I-Player page, it is saying my flash player is out of date, and when you go to the Adobe site to update it, it won't update on IE6 (it wants IE7 or newer!). Will be researching a bit more on here for a work around!

Thanks everyone for your help, support and best wishes.

Stoobie

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)