in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-22-2012 9:49 AM by elephant. 166 replies.
Page 3 of 7 (167 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-18-2012 7:06 PM In reply to

Re: BeoLit 12 is in the shops! Initial impressions?

Russ:

Hi Jeff,

We got 12 on Monday, I can't imagine that Phipp's Plaza doesn't have some.  Let me know if they don't.

Russ

Thanks Russ!

I have not talked to Dixon in eons... Nor have I seen much of him here for that matter.

Thank you for the offer!

I am torn between the BS8 and the BI12! Different devices, different uses - but an FM source is mandatory, particularly when the device would be more stationary.

My plan was to supply a tuner to the AUXIN on the BS8, or in the case of the 12, doing the same thing into the 3rd tier LINEIN.

When more mobile, TuneIn radio or similar will be fine.

The rest of the decision comes down to which might get more use!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-18-2012 7:18 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Being an old duffer like Jeff, I can't think of an application (in my life) where this is the only or the best or even the best looking option. Nor am I keen on the supposed youth friendly "forward base" presentation - in years gone by they were called boom boxes! - although I am prepared to change my mind when I hear it.

But then again I've retired my (free) iPhone too. Maybe I am an untrendy Neanderthal!Erm

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-18-2012 7:30 PM In reply to

Puncher:

Maybe I am an untrendy Neanderthal!Erm

You are, but that is besides the point!

Let me rephrase my previous post.

I actually like both the BS8 and the new BI12...

If I want a semi-portable device used primarily in one place... BS8. But it may be redundant because of my other gear.

If I want a full-portable device used anywhere and everywhere... BI12.

As mentioned in another thread, I have been streaming to portable speakers for years. Great stuff. In this case, the BI12 is definitely redundant, but would replace the rather archaic current setup.

Sounds like I may have made up my mind!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-18-2012 11:02 PM In reply to

• ben73
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 07-21-2007
    • Perth, Western Australia
    • Posts 22
    • Founder

So this is the first B&O product release in some time that has got me straight into my local dealer - had a look at the beolit 12 yesterday.  They had recieved 4, that morning - one was already sold (AU$990), one was on hold - and one as shop display.  I actually like the design of this thing - I am predominantly interested in vintage B&O for both design aesthetic and its functionality - I listen to vinyl predominantly at home.  However, I want music where ever I am and the beolit delivers this.  And does so while disguised as an esky - how Australian...it also comes with a handy tray on top where you can sit your beer - sweet...if you spill yr beer it is caught in the hollowed tray - and still quite an easy matter to slurp up yr dregs from the tray (Note to readers:I did not try any of this in store - if you do or already have, please report on beer-proofness of tray and controls) 

Anyways, the little Beolit was playing when I walked in the store - the saleperson (as usual in this store knew nothing of the product).  As we were chatting I was getting a little annoyed that he hadn't turned off all the other speakers in the shop playing the same music so I could hear the beolit properly.  I kept looking up to the ceiling where i could hear the music coming from - couldn't see the speakers but it was still making it quite hard to pick the quality if the beolit.  The salesbloke suggested I plug my own iPhone into the beolit and played some music I knew well - great idea (the beachboys, "darlin'" off smiley smile/wild honey)- and can you turn off the other speakers?  As he switched off Airplay and plugged in my phone   I realised the beolit was the only thing that had been playing the whole time - pretty impressive.  It really throws the sound up there.  Probably most similar speaker I have heard is some little Sonab OD-11's i have kicking around at home - the 'sound image' really floats above the speaker (what wank!!  it does tho...).  I would however add that the bass is a little heavy (read: hollow cardboard box/half deflated football) for my ear - but I believe that's how the kids like it these days - I'd probably have fiddle with the EQ on my iPhone/Pad/Pod and dial this down...

Been some discussion about the beolit not being able to create it's own ad-hoc wifi network - I don't know that this would bother me.  I use airplay at home (airport express into a beocenter 7007 - another into a beomaster 901).  And I'd probably use airplay on the beolit at home (outside - on the deck etc).  But I did notice that the beolit charged my iPhone 4 when connected by USB (beolit running on battery) - I would expect battery life would be compromised (phone and beolit) if doing everything wirelessly on beach/watching footy/at the cricket...?  no radio? - no drama - if I want one I believe I have seen them in the shops also...

My first impressions were positive - do I want one? yes.  did I buy one? (the only one left less than 24 hrs after it arrived in store)  no.  reason?  my budget - otherwise would have certainly walked out with me.  

I think it carries the beolit tradition forward...good one B&O...

Ben

• 01-19-2012 12:23 AM In reply to

Cute little toy! Wink

BS 1, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2,  BS 2, BS 3, 2x Beo 4, BS 5, BM 5, BL 5,Beo 6, BS 6, 2x A8, BV 8-40, BL 8000, 3x A9 Keyring, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400

• 01-19-2012 4:43 AM In reply to

great review - thank you.

reminds me that we seem to have lost that skill in the forum these years ... remember the great Beotime review with all its gorgeous unpacking pictures !

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-19-2012 4:51 AM In reply to

Another good review !!

On this basis (the product moves people to praise it) the BeoLit 12 is going to be great success.

Well done B&O ... Well played (pun intended Laughing)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-19-2012 7:02 AM In reply to

• oli
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-10-2007
    • Paris, FR
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

Does anybody know the frequency range this toy is able to reproduce ? I don't find the info in the Feature section of the Beoplay website.

• 01-19-2012 8:10 AM In reply to

Hi oli, there Apple store is quoting 50 - 20000hz  Hope that helps but I guess what really matters is how it sounds to your ears!

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H7355LL/A

• 01-19-2012 8:24 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Tod Daniel:

Hi oli, there Apple store is quoting 50 - 20000hz  Hope that helps but I guess what really matters is how it sounds to your ears!

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H7355LL/A

Those numbers alone, without defining the reference signal and the the output reduction at the cutoff points, are meaningless.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-19-2012 8:56 AM In reply to

I agree who cares about numbers, it's your ears that decide!!!

• 01-19-2012 9:48 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

For me the Beolit 12 seems to be perfect - I started saving right now.

Reasons:

How many airplay speakers with battery are out there?

Beolit 12, SDI something... and ??
    Very innovative, very fast to market - congrats B&O!

I use napster with ipad/iphone A LOT.
    In fact exept for radio (FM, via BS3000, in the mornings) it is the only audio source we use (thorough SONOS).
    The kids and wife have gotten so used to play their music anytime they wish without digging through our mp3 collection and without looking for the right CD, it is incredible.

So - if this will work - I will get one!

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 01-19-2012 10:35 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Just got back from my dealer - they received a couple of Beolit 12's this afternoon.

My impressions:

1) The Chinese have made a right pigs ear of the top-quality rubber feel, the lovely non-touch controls and aluminum. Shame really. The outer cardboard box was very well made, but that was made in Denmark and shipped over.

2) The sound quality is better than I expected. Maybe not as good as my Beosound 8, but certainly a lot better than the Beosound 3. It's decent, that's for sure.

3) It's slightly smaller than I expected.

4) Works very smoothly with your iPhone. Easy to control, mute and so on. No complaints.

All in all, slightly better than I expected. I doubt i'd go for the dark grey version though, I prefer the tan strap.

• 01-19-2012 10:44 AM In reply to

Just spent all of 10 minutes setting up our display model in the shop.  Performs superbly, better than I remember it!  Rich,deep bass...

First customer to see it, bought on the spot without prior knowledge of the product!

This will be a great seller and will certainly hit the BeoSound 8 market...

• 01-19-2012 10:58 AM In reply to

moxxey:

Just got back from my dealer - they received a couple of Beolit 12's this afternoon.

1) The Chinese have made a right pigs ear of the top-quality rubber feel, the lovely non-touch controls and aluminum. Shame really. The outer cardboard box was very well made, but that was made in Denmark and shipped over.

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

Regards Graham

• 01-19-2012 11:07 AM In reply to

£599...

• 01-19-2012 11:15 AM In reply to

I love the Beolit 12.  The sound is really great.  I can't really add anything to the review by ben73 which is really well written.

The wireless setup was a little strange because I have a hidden network at 5GHz.  I changed the network settings temporarily to add the Beolit 12 to my network. I think I am going to add another network at 2.4 GHZ just for the Beolit 12.  I couldn't find the network specifications for the Beolit 12.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 01-19-2012 11:35 AM In reply to

A Beo4 remote can be used to control the volume and power off the Beolit 12.  I would presume a Beo6 can be changed to add Beolit 12.

• 01-19-2012 11:53 AM In reply to

So how does it compare sound wise to the BS3?

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 01-19-2012 12:13 PM In reply to

linder:

A Beo4 remote can be used to control the volume and power off the Beolit 12.  I would presume a Beo6 can be changed to add Beolit 12.

Also just noticed that when using volume control on the Beolit 12 or the Beo4, the volume is also changed on the iPhone at the same time.  I guess this is how Airplay works but I didn't expect it.  I have an Apple TV but haven't used Airplay.  There is probably more to learn.

• 01-19-2012 12:35 PM In reply to

• Beophile
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

bayerische:

So how does it compare sound wise to the BS3?

An excerpt from my review which is located on page 2 of this topic...

"To put its sound quality in perspective, I compared the Beolit 12 to my Beosound 3. To my ears, it is immediately apparent that the Beolit 12  clearly produces a better quality of sound.  Whereas the Beosound 3 outputs in mono and is more tonally neutral (but lacking in output volume and the low end), the Beolit 12 is stereo with a significantly greater output and, at times, almost too much low end.  Other than FM and a clock, I can’t see why one would prefer the Beosound 3 over the Beolit 12.  To me, the Beolit 12 is clearly superior."

• 01-19-2012 12:41 PM In reply to

• Beophile
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Tod Daniel:

By the way, that was a beautiful piece written by Beophile. Articulate, descriptive and oh so dashing!

Todd...thank you for your kind words. Big Smile

• 01-19-2012 2:33 PM In reply to

You're welcome! I found it an excellent written piece.  Im almost sold on it :)

• 01-19-2012 3:55 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

SHEFFIELD:

£599...

I think that's a fair price. It's $799 in the States (about £520), but we have to take in to account 20% VAT. So, pretty equal, which makes a change.

You do get a lot for £599. Seriously. It's s top quality product with superb sound. Best of all, moving around is simple, plus it has an 8 hour battery. It's definitely better value than the Beosound 3.

Will be interesting to see the full range of colours once they ship in March (dealer confirmed March).

• 01-19-2012 4:13 PM In reply to

In the US, taxes are applied at the sale. I actually paid £510.

Page 3 of 7 (167 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »