in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-22-2012 9:49 AM by elephant. 166 replies.
Page 2 of 7 (167 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-18-2012 12:23 PM In reply to

Re: BeoLit 12 is in the shops! Initial impressions?

This is a muddy area, as will be my response...

iPhone hotspotting and AirPlay have been attempted, but I would love to hear from one single person where this actually works well, if at all.

The real answer for this dilemna, will be the launch (based on strong rumor -meaning LIKELY to happen) of Bluetooth AirPlay. Apple seems to be leaning in this direction and several OEM's have launched said products. With Apple taking this up they can guarantee the technology and work to improve the inherent compression issues that hinder it in its current form.

This will, of course, mean the launch of the Beolit 12 Encore.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-18-2012 12:26 PM In reply to

Just spoke with my local B&O dealer who said they received the Beolit 12 yesterday and have already sold 4.  I think this is going to be a good selliing product.  It is not in the Apple store yet.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 01-18-2012 1:05 PM In reply to

We get our first BeoLit 12 tomorrow followed next week by an initial 3 to sell...looking forward to giving it a good test!

• 01-18-2012 2:15 PM In reply to

linder:

Just spoke with my local B&O dealer who said they received the Beolit 12 yesterday and have already sold 4.  I think this is going to be a good selliing product.  It is not in the Apple store yet.

It is in the Apple store.  That was fast.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 01-18-2012 2:16 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

jc:
    Also, it's the only way you can listen to radiostations in a car.

What's in my car then? It claims to be DAB!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-18-2012 2:46 PM In reply to

Without a massive BBC subsidy propping it up, DAB would be dead in the water here in the UK. Everyone hammering on about poor quality AM or LW signals probably has a poor quality receiver, or lives in the middle of nowhere. If the latter is true, then the current DAB signal is hardly likely to improve the quality of your listening!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 01-18-2012 2:57 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

jc:

@Moxxey: 'FM is due to be switched off in the near future'

that is, with all respect, complete nonsense. 

You live in the UK then? What is "nonsense" for you, might not be for us. See http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jun/16/digital-britain-analogue-radio-switchoff

Nonsense, eh? Funny.

You completely take my AM point out of context. You can't get it on the BS3. At all. Which makes it a bit redundant. You can't hear BBC Live 5 on any analogue signal, apart from AM. So, for that reason, it makes the Beolit 12 a far more modern product - that you can listen to a far wider range of radio.

• 01-18-2012 3:11 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Hi Jeff,

We got 12 on Monday, I can't imagine that Phipp's Plaza doesn't have some.  Let me know if they don't.

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 01-18-2012 3:18 PM In reply to

madskp:

Actually the Iphone 3GS won't act as a personal hotspot. Only Iphone 4 or later as stated in this Apple support document: Personal Hotspot

Well, offcourse you are right. But at least it's not a hardware limitation. You can run a wifi hotspot from an older iPhone, once it's jailbroken.

• 01-18-2012 3:26 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Weebyx:

Why on earth is the latest compact music system little red riding hood is running in the woods with, not able to create it's own wirelses network so the AirPlay functions could work when i take it to the park ?

Is it just me ??

/Weebyx

I don't think that its just you; but this is an objection that I just don't get.  If you're out at the park for a picnic, and you have your iDevice and your BeoLit 12, what is the issue with plugging the two together.  Main advantage?  Turning off the wifi on the iDevice, and don't activate it on the BeoLit 12, you greatly increase the battery life of both, and in fact the BeoLit 12 will power and charge the iDevice.  Likely a little better sound quality as well, and no dropouts.  How is this not a win/win?

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 01-18-2012 3:33 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Apple Store says it's working with iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S.

So it will not work at all with a 3GS? Or will it work with some limitations?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H7355LL/A

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 01-18-2012 4:16 PM In reply to

• pf85
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

moxxey:

Mind you, whether the traditional B&O audience "get" this is another matter entirely.

Vintage Moxxey comment... But rest assured:

being a "B&O traditionalist" I get it and I got one. Beolit 12 was very easy to set up, very easy to use - very "full sound" - stable Wifi connection.

The right "play" by B&O to its expand customer base !

• 01-18-2012 4:34 PM In reply to

We got em' here in Texas!! They sound amazing for such a small package! Have to admit that the design wasn't my favorite at first, but once you see it in person, it is a true B&O. A very good customer of ours just drove 7 hours from Louisiana to hear it. Two minutes listening it was sold. That would make 5 in less than two days.... 

Here in the store we are demonstrating it on at all times with Airplay via our store PC. We have not experienced a single drop out yet.... this I expect will not be the norm however... just a FYI. 

BV7-40 MKIV, BeoVision Avant 32, BeoVision 8-32, BeoLab Penta MKIII, BeoLab 6000 x 3, BeoSound 9000 MKIII, BeoLab 7-4, BeoSound 4000, BeoPort, BeoVox S45-2, ML/MCL Convertors, A8's & Form 2's. 

• 01-18-2012 5:02 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Maybe Bose was right all along and a bass heavy mix is the way forward!Whistle

Sorry, just poking with a pointy stick, I haven't heard it yet!Big Smile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-18-2012 5:24 PM In reply to

moxxey:

jc:

@Moxxey: 'FM is due to be switched off in the near future'

that is, with all respect, complete nonsense. 

You live in the UK then? What is "nonsense" for you, might not be for us. See http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jun/16/digital-britain-analogue-radio-switchoff

The 2015 date has yet to be confirmed.

See the first item in:

http://grantgoddardradioblog.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html

Then scrolling further down is the article 'DAB radio take up in the UK:the 2010 year end scorecard'.

For DAB proponents,rather depressing data.

• 01-18-2012 5:47 PM In reply to

• Beophile
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Russ:

moxxey:

Mind you, whether the traditional B&O audience "get" this is another matter entirely.

True, but as has been discussed elsewhere, this is the first product under a new Brand, so I'm not certain that we need for all of our traditional audience to 'get' it.  Our first sale was to a traditional client who came in to see it, and took it immediately, and our second sale was to a client whose only other purchase was a BeoSound 8, and now he can go portable.  I want to see how it does once it is properly displayed and hi-lighted in the shops.

I believe that I may be the "traditional client" Russ mentioned.  In any case, now that I've used the Beolit 12 for three days I can say that I am extremely pleased with it.  The aspect of the Beolit 12 that really stands out is the amount of sound it outputs given its size…it boggles the mind (mine at least).  When looking at the Beolit 12 while it is being used, I find that I have trouble believing it is the Beolit 12 that is producing the sound I am hearing.  I think my subconscious is expecting to see a much larger unit.  If you feel like playing a trick on your mind, place the Beolit 12 between two larger speakers and listen to it…you will swear the sound is coming from those speakers and not the Beolit 12.

Also, I am happy to report that the Beolit 12 looks better in person than it does in the photos (my unit is the dark grey model).  I am one that generally despises plastic and lusts over the aluminum used by B&O (and Apple Cool).  However, I have been surprised by how receptive I’ve been to the esthetics of, and tactile experience with, the plastic/rubber used in the Beolit 12.  I actually find myself somewhat relaxed when using the Beolit 12 as my subconscious isn’t screaming at me to give the Beolit 12 the white glove treatment; and yet the Beolit 12 still has that impeccable design and build quality that I expect from B&O.  In addition, I am somewhat surprised by, and appreciative of, the size and weight of the Beolit 12.  It is smaller than I was expecting.  Also, I was expecting the Beolit 12 to be much heavier than it is given its sound output and the fact that it has a battery.  While the Beolit 12 is not a device you will pack in a suitcase, there is no doubt that the Beolit 12 may truly and easily be used as a portable device, which is precisely how I have been using it.  

Regarding its sound quality, either to cater to different type of clientele or as a result of necessary comprises in design, I would say that the Beolit 12 does not have the neutral character of sound that I have long associated with B&O.  I would described the character of sound as having smooth and appropriately bright highs (with more stereo separation than it should have), a somewhat muted midrange, and a strong punchy low end (there is definitely psychonautics at play here, a la Bose).  However, this is not to say that that the Beolit 12 sounds bad.  Quite the opposite really.  In fact, the Beolit 12 definitely sounds better than it should given its size (i.e., an ultra-compact system) and/or its intended purpose (i.e., a portable system).

To put its sound quality in perspective, I compared the Beolit 12 to my Beosound 3. To my ears, it is immediately apparent that the Beolit 12  clearly produces a better quality of sound.  Whereas the Beosound 3 outputs in mono and is more tonally neutral (but lacking in output volume and the low end), the Beolit 12 is stereo with a significantly greater output and, at times, almost too much low end.  Other than FM and a clock, I can’t see why one would prefer the Beosound 3 over the Beolit 12.  To me, the Beolit 12 is clearly superior.

Also, I compared the Beolit 12 to my Beosound 8.  (I didn’t even try to compare it to my Beolab 5s or 3s as such a comparison would be inappropriate.)  To my ears, while not immediately apparent, the Beosound 8 does produce a better quality of sound.  The bass is tighter and the midrange is fuller.  Thus, the Beolit 12 is not a replacement of the Beosound 8 with respect to sound quality.  For a dedicated listening session, I would say one should move up to the Beosound 8 and, if possible, move up to the Beolabs.  However, if an ultra-compact or portable system is desired, I believe the Beolit 12 may be unequaled.

Using airplay with the Beolit 12 is a joy.  However, this really highlights the Beosound 8’s lack of airplay, which I now intend to remedy in short order with the addition of an airport express.  While I have thus far only experienced a onetime one second dropout, I do not hold this against the Beolit 12 as it was likely the fault of my network.  However, regarding WiFi, airplay requires a WiFi connection, which leads me to my chief complaint with the Beolit 12.  That is, it takes way too long for the Beolit 12 to connect to a WiFi network with which it already has credentials.  While it may only be one minute, that minute feels like an eternity when you are waiting to use it.  I noticed that the software of the Beolit 12 may be updated, hopefully this is an issue that can be addressed.

Others have raised concerns regarding a lack of a wireless connection to the Beolit 12 when not in a WiFi network.  I concur with those concerns and feel that B&O should have addressed this by allowing the Beolit 12 to be a hotspot (can this be added via a software update?), by having Bluetooth capabilities included, etc.  However, this is not as significant a shortcoming as the Beosound 8’s lack of airplay and is something I can easily live without.  There are two mitigating factors to this shortcoming.  First, the significance of this issue depends on how much you will use the Beolit 12 when not in a WiFi network.  For me, I will only sparingly be using the Beolit 12 when not in a WiFi network, and thus using a cord will be fine.  Second, the Beolit 12 includes an accessible compartment that can store the requisite cable to use in those situations.  Thus for me, while I would have appreciated the ability to wirelessly connect when not in a WiFi network, this by no means even approaches a deal breaker.  Regarding the compartment, it is also used to store the power cord, which is utterly brilliant.  However, I do note that the supplied power cord is a bit rigid for my taste and I will be on the hunt for a more pliable power cord.

A device like the Beolit 12 is inherently full of various compromises, and thus cannot be perfect all respects.  However, when considered in its entirety, the Beolit 12 is an amazing device.  Despite my significant B&O collection, the Beolit 12 may end up being one of my most used B&O items.  I am proud to have the Beolit 12 in my collection and highly recommend it to anyone seeking an ultra-compact or portable system.

Filed under:
  • 01-18-2012 6:08 PM In reply to

beautiful review from Beophile! Very nice composition, well thought out and articulate!

• 01-18-2012 6:09 PM In reply to

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

My last remark about FM/DAB:

I see that the situation in the UK is completely different from the rest of the world. For the rest of the world FM transmitting remains easy accesable and available, now and in the far future. CD's, as comparison, will sooner be extinct than FM broadcast...

• 01-18-2012 6:17 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

TerryM:

The 2015 date has yet to be confirmed.

Never said it was confirmed, but implied. The discussion was about producing FM radios in 2012. It's just a bit folly and short-sighted in my opinion. I think the Beolit's approach is good.

Add FM support and you need to add more controls, scanning, an aerial and more. The Beolit 12 is simple, basic with limited touch control for handling the connection to your iPhone.

• 01-18-2012 6:20 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

pf85:

being a "B&O traditionalist" I get it and I got one. Beolit 12 was very easy to set up, very easy to use - very "full sound" - stable Wifi connection.

Good news :)

I'll pop in to my dealer tomorrow to see if they have a Beolit in stock yet. Keen to see the audio performance (and poor Chinese finishing ;). The only thing putting me off slightly is that I don't use my BS3 enough (so would I use the Beolit 12?).

• 01-18-2012 6:40 PM In reply to

Does anyone here own a quality non-DAB receiver?

The Beolit 12 looks a sack of $hit. Go buy an original Beolit and enjoy AM/LW/FM broadcasts into the future.

You might surprise yourself.

• 01-18-2012 6:52 PM In reply to

John that's no good - i can't listen to Choice, Kiss, BBC 1Xtra, Absolute 80s or Jazz FM on FM ;'(

• 01-18-2012 6:53 PM In reply to

By the way, that was a beautiful piece written by Beophile. Articulate, descriptive and oh so dashing!

• 01-18-2012 6:57 PM In reply to

You can't listen to Jazz FM. On FM???

• 01-18-2012 6:59 PM In reply to

Crazy isnt it! Jazz FM ceased broadcasting on FM in 2005.  Luckily it was bought back by its passionate investors and it relaunched in 2008 on DAB, iPhone, on-line and Sky Digital. It actually remains a lovely station :)

Page 2 of 7 (167 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »