in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-16-2012 12:25 PM by elephant. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-14-2012 7:56 AM

• Slind
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-14-2012
    • Copenhagen Denmark
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Connect iPhone to Beovision 10

How can I connect my iPhone to my Beovision 10 and watch e.g. music videos from YouTube? Any idea?

Thks in advance

Soren

• 01-14-2012 12:57 PM In reply to

Re: Connect iPhone to Beovision 10

Easy! Smile

Apple TV

• 01-14-2012 1:49 PM In reply to

DoubleU:

Easy! Smile

Apple TV

correct ... exaxtly what you can do (e.g. mirroring) depends on the precise model of the iPhone, but in general:

iPhone ))) airplay ))) ATVg2 ==hdmi == BV10

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-15-2012 2:54 AM In reply to

• Slind
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-14-2012
    • Copenhagen Denmark
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Thks a lot. It's an iPhone 3GS plus Ipad2. So I need to invest in ATV?

• 01-15-2012 3:23 AM In reply to

Slind:

Thks a lot. It's an iPhone 3GS plus Ipad2. So I need to invest in ATV?

I use a 3GS, my wife a 4S, and we have an iPad gen 1.

So only my wife's phone can be used for mirroring iPhone game play onto our ATV gen 2.

For all other work (so far) we have had good success, and yesterday I installed and integrated an ATV gen 2 for a friend who is a forum member.

His iPad gen 1 also worked - in his case the TV was a BV 7-40.

So I believe that an economical solution is the ATV (gen 2, and there are rumours of a stop gap gen 3 before the equally rumoured arrival of the Apple proper TV).

An ATV gen 2 is US$99, and AU$129 -- a very good deal.

But beware :-) if you are like us your iTunes bills will start to rise (movie and TV show rentals) as will your bandwidth consumption (endless YouTubes).

Installing an ATV gen 2 can take all of 10 minutes ... plus another 20 minutes to do an update over the network to the latest version of the operating system.

It will give immediate internet access to iTunes movies (we love watching the latest trailers), TV shows, YouTube, Flickr, internet radio and so on.

To purchase any iTunes materials you will need to add your iTunes account and its password.

Integrating the ATV can take longer ... depending upon what you want to do:

1. adding a new infrared PUC cable from the BV's AV port to the ATV for Beo4 control of the device instead of using the supplied Apple silver remote
    2. turning homesharing on your iTunes library/libaries for direct access to media (music, movies, shows, music videos, podcasts, university)
    3. adding software to the iPads/iPhones to integrate different sources:
    • ABC iView
    • BBC iView
    • EyeTV recordings
    • PLEX (version 9) for other media (e.g. DVD rips)

All that took Cliff and myself about 3 extra hours.

If you send me a free plane ticket I will do yours too Laughing

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-16-2012 3:51 AM In reply to

elephant:

I use a 3GS, my wife a 4S, and we have an iPad gen 1.

So only my wife's phone can be used for mirroring iPhone game play onto our ATV gen 2.

Are you sure about your 3GS? Because I have no problems to mirror to my ATV2.

However my 3GS, as my ATV are jailbroken, but I thought it should work also with none-jailbroken devices.

• 01-16-2012 4:49 AM In reply to

DoubleU:
    Are you sure about your 3GS? Because I have no problems to mirror to my ATV2.

Just to be sure we are being precise with our terms ...

• AirPlay audio = what we all know about, playing music to an AirPlay audio enabled device such as a BeoLit 12 or an ATVg2
    • AirPlay video = where a video iApp takes advantage of iOS services to communicate with an AirPlay video enabled device such as an ATVg2 - to be honest we have not been able to verify how this actually works ! 
      • for example last night I used the iPad PLEX iApp to access the PLEX server on our MacMini, once I select the [ ^ ] Airplay icon the video disappears off the iPad and appears on the ATVg2 BV8  
      • what my son and I have not figured out is whether the video material is still streamed from the MacMini to the iPad and then forwarded to the ATVg2, or whether the iPad has instructed the ATVg2 to fetch the video material from the MacMini
      • in other words the iDevice has a gray screen with a message saying that the video is being played on the ATVg2
      • note that you can then interrupt the control and break the ATVg2 connection and the video material then starts to appear again on the iDevice
    • AirPlay mirroring = where what is on the screen of the iDevice is mirrored / reflected on to the ATVg2 BV8 SIMULTANEOUSLY with it being played on the iDevice
      • to activate mirroring you do not use the [ ^ ] icon, instead you double click the (home) button on the iDevice so that the active tasks bar appears on the bottom of the iDevice screen
      • you then scroll/brush the active iApps to the right hand side
      • what you then see as an active application sequence on my iPadg1 is the music icon, the volume bar, the Airplay icon [ ^ ] mentioned above, the |<<, >, and >>| icons, the screen brightness bar, and the mute icon ( a speaker symbol)
      • on my iPhone 3GS you get this sequence instead is the following (spread over two swipes because of the smaller screen):
        • music icon, the |<<, >, and >>| icons, and the screen orientation lock icon, and then
        • the Airplay icon [ ^ ] and the volume bar
      • on my wife's iPhone 4S you get this sequence:
        • music icon, the |<<, >, and >>| icons, and the screen orientation lock icon, and then
        • the Airplay icon [ ^ ] and the volume bar
        • but when you press the Airplay icon you get a screen lists the iPhone screen and available ATVs, and which talks about mirroring "With AirPlay Mirroring, you can send everything on your iPhone's display to an Apple TV, wirelessly"
        • the equivalent screen on my 3GS looks different (the older style of selection buttons, plus a cancel button) and no words
        • if you select the ATVg2 from the 3GS you hear the music of the game, but do not get the video screen mirrored
        • if you select the ATVg2 from the 4S then a on/off slider button appears labelled "Mirroring" ... no such option appears on the 3GS ... and of course what you get on the ATVg2 is the music and the game graphics (actually the get each every screen from the 4S including the menu options!)
        • iPadg1 behaves the same as the 3GS
      • All thre iDevices are on iOS 5.0.1

Sorry for being so long winded and pedantic, but hopefully it clears up any confusion -- or helps you guide me to a solution :-)

• 01-16-2012 6:59 AM In reply to

No need to be sorry! Smile

I can Airplay all media, including video's and photo and music on my iPhone 3GS. Airplaying a Youtube movie from my iPhone in HD to my ATV still gives the 720p picture. (I thought it might be downscaled, but it isn't)

However, I can't mirror the springboard of my iPhone. Nor the apps that are not multimedia related. Only the apps that support Airplay. Indeed it is not exactly mirroring how you meant it. This is only for the iPad2 and 4S.

• 01-16-2012 12:25 PM In reply to

DoubleU:

Nor the apps that are not multimedia related. Only the apps that support Airplay. Indeed it is not exactly mirroring how you meant it. This is only for the iPad2 and 4S.

correct - to use the first level of AirPlay the App must use standard audio/video media APIs or functions.

The mirroring I described is an operating system level transmission of what is on the screen (bit for bit) - and must need more power (CPU/GPU) and that would be why they have restricted it to the latest hardware platforms.

With mirroring there is a small lag, so while you can play games like Bean's Quest (shameless plug Laughing) the player inevitably refocuses to what is in their hand for fine motot control - while the audiance can track the player's progress on the BeoVision   

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)