in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-14-2012 5:23 AM by Doctor. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-12-2012 7:29 PM

How does the Beogram TX compare?

I've got my Beogram TX with an MMC2 cartridge and I love them to death... I've been crawling through the pages of posts on this forum and it seems as though TX-related posts are very rare to come by... is there a reason for this? Is this a rare model?

Also it seems as if the Beogram 4000 and 8000 TT's are the most popular on here... how do these tables compare to a TX?

Thanks.

• 01-13-2012 8:14 AM In reply to

Re: How does the Beogram TX compare?

treminaor:
    Also it seems as if the Beogram 4000 and 8000 TT's are the most popular on here... how do these tables compare to a TX?

Most B&O lovers view the Beogram 4000 as the finest, purely B&O turntable of them all, both from the point of view of sound and build quality and the integrity of Jensen's and Pramanik's design thinking.   The 8000 and its successor the 8002 were technically adventurous with the use of a different electronic direct drive system and although the build quality isn't as good as the 4000, some think the 8002, particularly with its improved record damping from the platter design, sounds even better than the 4000. 

How does the TX compare?  Well, it shares the same type of platter as the 8002 and to quote the comments on the relevant 'products' page on this site for the BG 6002, effectively an identical deck to the TX -

"This is an under rated deck. In many ways this can be seen as a Beogram 4004 with the design of a Beogram 6006. It is belt drive and much simpler than the equivalent Beogram 8000. As such it is actually rather reliable and performs very well." 

Given that I suspect the author is Peter, an authoritative and long-established Beoworld member who has owned just about every worthwhile deck B&O produced, I would be prepared to take his word on the performance of the TX.  

Owning both an BG 8002 and BG 6500,  and with both fitted with an MMC2, I can, just about, hear a difference between the 8002 and the 6500, but then I am geeting old and the hearing is going.  But this might indicate that the TX is a better deck than the more recent tangentials, and with the MMC2 you have, would compare well with the 8002.    

Cleve

• 01-13-2012 10:29 AM In reply to

Thank you very much for that info!

• 01-13-2012 11:23 AM In reply to

Cleviebaby:

"This is an under rated deck. In many ways this can be seen as a Beogram 4004 with the design of a Beogram 6006. It is belt drive and much simpler than the equivalent Beogram 8000. As such it is actually rather reliable and performs very well." 

Given that I suspect the author is Peter, an authoritative and long-established Beoworld member who has owned just about every worthwhile deck B&O produced, I would be prepared to take his word on the performance of the TX.  

Guilty as charged! The TX is very similar to the 6002 which is a well built and good sounding turntable. Although it cannot match the speed stability of the 8002, it will match most of the rest of the B&O range. I think it is one of the real bargains as it does not rely on the complex electronics of the 8002.

• 01-13-2012 11:44 AM In reply to

I agree that the TX really is an underrated deck. It is really a Beogram 6002 without the Datalink module and with a captive RCA cable, belt driven and very much like a late Beogram 4000 series deck under the hood Smile

IMO, the TX is better than the later Beogram 5005 and upards models.

Beocenter 9300, Beogam CD50, Beocord 5500, Beomaster 3400, Beomaster 4400, 2 Beogram 4000, Beomaster 8000, 2 beogram 8002, Beovox S-75, Beovox MS150.2, Beovox RL6000, Beovox S-35, Beomaster 6000, 2 Beocord 9000, Beocord 8004, Beocord 5000, Form 1, 2x Beolink 1000, Beo4, MX3500, LS4500. Born 1993.

• 01-13-2012 12:05 PM In reply to

Søren Hammer:
    I agree that the TX really is an underrated deck. It is really a Beogram 6002 without the Datalink module and with a captive RCA cable

And I believe this is the reason for the apparent lack of talk on it, rather than its qualities. It was intended and best suited for use with non-B&O equipment, so it never sold in that great numbers, and isn't quite that popular with vintage B&O collectors - who are the majority of folks that hang around here discussing old turntables in general.

-mika

• 01-13-2012 6:39 PM In reply to

Thanks everyone!

This TX has been great to me so far - only major issue I had was that one of the audio channels stopped working - I later found (and fixed) the issue, which was that the solder joints on the output board were loose.

My last question: does anyone know an estimated worth of this table when pared with the MMC2 cartridge? The table is in good cosmetic condition.

• 01-14-2012 5:23 AM In reply to

Depressingly little - the cartridge is certainly worth more than the turntable. It is a user rather than a seller.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)