in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-12-2012 10:31 PM by sonavor. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-12-2012 3:30 PM

Beogram CDX disc loading problem

I recently applied Medogsfat's hinge fix to a CDX I aquired.  During the CDX hinge repair I also had to adjust the button pads that control the player to fix some of the buttons not working.  I got all of that working and have been using the CDX for a few weeks.  It has been working well.  In the last couple of days though, it started having trouble initializing. As the tray lowers the disc to the motor when the door closes, the disc often gets spun out of position. When it does lower correctly the laser is often not recognizing there is a disc. Do those issues usually stem from some of the detection switches getting out of alignment? I haven't moved the CDX player at all. It has been sitting in the same place...and suddenly it stopped handling discs properly. Either something failed electrically or movement of the lid opening and closing knocked something out of alignment. Has anyone had this problem with the CDX type players?

-Sonavor

• 01-12-2012 8:17 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Re: Beogram CDX disc loading problem

There is an adjustment that is part of the assembly that you repaired, in the form of a large worm screw that locks a toothed gear in place. This adjusts the lid and hence one of the detector switches. It is possible your repair rendered the mechanism on the edge of success, so to speak, and things have slightly altered and bedded in etc. Try adjusting and see if this helps?

Olly.

• 01-12-2012 10:19 PM In reply to

I remember that adjustment.  I'll check it again.

Thanks

• 01-12-2012 10:23 PM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

Hello sonavor

I rebuilt my CDX hinge a few years ago but unfortunately, I have been battling with this same problem for quite a while now.  About a year ago, I set up all of the limit switches according to the manual and adjusted the lid position using the allen key through the bottom opening - as Olli referred to.  Yes, I managed to get the CDX working well for a short while.  Since then, I have had two or three occasions where the lid closes but the disc is not read or played.  The symptoms are always the same, lid closes, the lid motor runs on for a short time and then nothing happens. 

About three weeks ago, I had the last incident so I opened up the unit and checked everything once more.  My problem is definitely related to the two way load switch and the solution seems to involve a fine adjustment on the position of the limit switch and using the hex key to set the lid an optimum closing position.  The switch contacts can also require a slight cleanup.  The bad news once again is that I still cannot get it 100% correct.  It works once or twice then stops working.  If I sqeeze the lid at the back left corner where the limit switch is and press PLAY at the same time, it often starts to read and plays well. 

Yes, I think that the hinge modification has knocked out the various settings by a mm or less and we will have to find a new "sweet spot" for consistent operation.  Let me know if you find a guaranteed way of setting this up because I have just about run out of patience on this one.  In any event, I have several other CD players that work well so fixing the CDX is not a high priority these days.

Have fun

Regards

Geoff

• 01-12-2012 10:31 PM In reply to

That makes sense about this problem. The symptoms definately point to an alignment problem somewhere. After I finish up with my Beomaster 6000 refurbishment I will have to put the CDX back on the bench.

Thanks for the heads up on the task ahead.

-Sonavor

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)