in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-15-2012 11:28 AM by BerndE. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-12-2012 1:35 PM

• BerndE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Munich
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Beocenter 2500 Problems

Hi,

I have a Beocenter 2500 from 1992 (Type 2601). The Beocenter is connected to a pair of Penta III from 1999.

A few days ago the sound that came out of the Pentas was very thin and lacking bass. First I thought that the Pentas might have a problem, but I thought that is unlikely that both Pentas have the same problem at the same time. So I hooked the Beocenter to another pair of speakers (BL8000) and had the same problem. So I guess there is a problem with the pre amplifier stage. The sound is not distorted, it just seems like the lower frequency spectrum is missing.

Is this a known problem? I have the service manual, but it would be great if anybody could give some pointers to the problem.

And the tape deck of the machine stopped working a while ago. I did not bother, because I hardly use it. The tape just doesn't start. Might be a problme in the tape control circuit. So this would be a good chance to fix the tape as well.

Thanks for any help

Bernd

• 01-12-2012 1:53 PM In reply to

Re: Beocenter 2500 Problems

Hi:

Have you tried plugging a pair of headphones?

Do ALL functions on the BC2500 work?

I think I had a similar problem... It was weird.. the Radio wouldn't tune, but the doors would work.

Turns out one of the fuses went. There are several soldered onto the pcb in the back where the transformer/power supply is. Check to make sure the power supply is working.

Derek

• 01-12-2012 2:34 PM In reply to

• BerndE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Munich
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

I just did a A-B compare of the headphones socket (using a pair of A8s) with my IPod. No problem. The sound is the same.

All other functions of the system are ok.

The tape is not dead. When press ATAPE the tape motor starts but the heads don't move up/down and the tape does not wind. The head always stays in the upper position so I can't remove the tape. So maybe there is no problem with the fuse here, but with the control of the head movement.

• 01-12-2012 3:42 PM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

'Assume you checked to make sure your tone (bass) settings didn't change.  Try cranking up the bass and utilizing the 'loudness' control.  The tape deck problem is undoubtedly a worn belt; the 2500 is no youngster.

• 01-12-2012 4:39 PM In reply to

• BerndE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Munich
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Meanwhile I disassembled the rear and removed the power/preamp boards, unplugged the wires, checked for any dry joints or dead caps. No problems found. Reassembled everything, connected the Pentas and....the good sound is back. Strange.

I will test it for a few days now and see if the problems reocccurs. Are there any known problems with this model (recapping!) that I should adress, while the system is opened?

Is the tape belt still available from the dealers?

• 01-12-2012 6:22 PM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

No; contact member Dillen (Martin) - if anyone has them, he will.  'Not sure how complicated it is to replace.

• 01-13-2012 12:54 PM In reply to

That seems to be what happened to my unit when one of the fuses went.

Next time it happens.... take off the back and check each one of the fuses.

They are solder on types that look like brown capacitors.

But of course you should poke around to determine why the fuse went in the first place. I think in my case it was a power surge.

Derek

• 01-13-2012 1:59 PM In reply to

@Auric: could you maybe elaborate what the symptoms of the blown fuses were on your BC2500? Just the tuner malfunction or more trouble? I'm curious because I have an option on a (attractively priced) BC2500 with a tuner malfunction.

@Berndt: sorry for interrupting your thread. I have a suggestion though: sounds a bit like a corroded interconnect causing a bad connection (high resistance) somewhere. The disassembly of the BC2500 might have scraped the corrosion off the interconnect, so after putting everything back together the problem disappeared!

Smile

• 01-13-2012 7:11 PM In reply to

I'm trying to remember the exact symptom... it was a while ago.

I remember that the doors and lights function, as does the display but the tuner wouldn't tune.

Also I think the tape mechanism sort of half works in the manner as described above.

It would depend on which fuse is gone.

The point being a blown fuse may not lead to a completely dead BC 2500, but a partially functioning one.

Derek

• 01-22-2012 8:29 AM In reply to

• BerndE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Munich
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

The fuses are all good. It is definitely the belt. A local dealer is verifying if the belt is still available or not.

Bernd

• 02-15-2012 11:28 AM In reply to

• BerndE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Munich
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Good news. I received a new belt from Martin (Dillen).
    The dealer could not deliver the belt. Instead he offered a new tape drive for € 250 or a refurbished drive for € 140. That's almost the value of the complete system...

Anyway. I fitted the belt into the drive, cleaned the system, reassembled everything and the Beocenter is back to live!

A 20 yr old tape sounds amazingly good....

A big "thank you" to Martin!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)