in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-13-2012 9:33 AM by Daniel. 111 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (112 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-13-2012 2:03 AM In reply to

Re: Beo Play

Karel Uyttendaele:

There seems to be the understanding here that you need your Wifi network in order to stream music to the BeoLit 12.

That is only the case if you want to stream your iTunes music from your PC/Mac to the BeoLit.

You can however wirelessly stream directly from your iPhone/iPad to the Beolit without using your home wifi.. 

I watched B&O's wifi setup "training" video on YouTube ... it is unclear how you would activate (there is a registration process) the BeoLit 12 and have it accessabile away from your home network ... can you outline how you believe it will work ?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-13-2012 2:24 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Germany
    • Posts 114
    • Bronze Member

If you look to the manual:

http://www.beoplay.com/~/media/ManualsPDF/BOPlayQuickStartGuideBeolit12A3.ashx

You will find out, there is no way to create an ad hoc network from the side of the Beolit.

What possibly could work is to create a Hot Spot with your iPhone: That will in fact create an ad hoc network from the side of the iphone. It should be possible to configure the Beolit to connect to this network.

But, if this will work depends on you mobile network company and the kind of contract you use.

It will work with the contract of my wife, but it will not work with my own contract to create a hot spot. If Airplay will work with this kind of network is different thing.

BUT it is possible to update the firmware, so the creation of ad hoc networks could be implemented later.

• 01-13-2012 2:27 AM In reply to

elephant:

I watched B&O's wifi setup "training" video on YouTube ... it is unclear how you would activate (there is a registration process) the BeoLit 12 and have it accessabile away from your home network ... can you outline how you believe it will work ?

You WILL need a connection to your Wifi in order to set it up.

After that you can use your Wifi to stream your music to the Beolit.

OR... when the Beolit is out of your Wifi range (in the garden/somewhere else) you can stream music from you iPhone/iPad to the Beolit.

This feature has been available to a number of AirPlay devices (Denon receivers for example)

See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4587 (first dtawing : AirPort Express wirelessly streams iTunes music as a standalone device)

Basicly the BeoLit (and all other Airplay compatible devices) have some sort of reduced function Airport Express in them; only allowing them to play audio (and/or video). 

If you connect an Airport Express directly to you music system it allows you to play music from your iPhone/iPad WITHOUT iTunes or you computer being on. (or some strange *** is happening at my appartement!)

Hope this clears up some misunderstandings :-)

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 01-13-2012 2:33 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Germany
    • Posts 114
    • Bronze Member

Karel Uyttendaele:
    If you connect an Airport Express directly to you music system it allows you to play music from your iPhone/iPad WITHOUT iTunes or you computer being on. (or some strange *** is happening at my appartement!)

Did I get it right - You are able to stream from your iphone to your AirPort Express with nothing else (Router turned of) - So it will be possible to take it to the beach and stream from the iPhone to the AirPlay-enabled device? So there IS something like an Ad Hoc Network created?

That would be pretty cool.

• 01-13-2012 2:43 AM In reply to

Tim:

Did I get it right - You are able to stream from your iphone to your AirPort Express with nothing else (Router turned of) - So it will be possible to take it to the beach and stream from the iPhone to the AirPlay-enabled device? So there IS something like an Ad Hoc Network created?

That would be pretty cool.

That's what's it all about! Take it to the beach, picnic, garden... It's just strange that not that much manufatureres have hoped onto this weagon... That's a huge market of iPhone users who can enjoy their music without being docked.. (that's my main objective against the BS8)

Anyway... remember when the BeoSound 8 came out... we were all screaming that it's price was too high, it woudln't sell, lacked features and so on.. Now the BeoSound 8 is the most successful B&O product in terms of sales figures... so the guys/girls in Struer must have done something right.

With regard to the Beolit 12.. have to see/feel/hear it in real life... but building on the success of the BeoSound 8 I thing they have another winner... just a pitty that they didn't launch it before Xmass

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 01-13-2012 2:55 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Karel Uyttendaele:

You can however wirelessly stream directly from your iPhone/iPad to the Beolit without using your home wifi.. 

Bluetooth? WiFi?

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 01-13-2012 3:06 AM In reply to

AirPlay is using RAOP (Remote Audio Output Protocol) and WDS bridging; all this over 802.11 (can't remember if it's the 802.11 a/b/g/n variant as transport)

• 01-13-2012 4:00 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Germany
    • Posts 114
    • Bronze Member

Karel Uyttendaele:
    ... we were all screaming that it's price was too high, it woudln't sell, lacked features and so on..

I bought one the minute was available

• 01-13-2012 4:57 AM In reply to

Daniel:

Karel Uyttendaele:

Bluetooth? WiFi?

I will also like to know how this is done. I have just gone thru the manual of the BeoLit 12 and i can't seem to find any ways to stream music from my iPhone wireless without connection to a (all ready set up thru a wired LAN connection) wi-fi connection.

As i understand, some of you says that i can ex. take my BeoLit to my friends house and stream music to it with my iPhone, without any further setup?

Don't see how this i done - allthough it will be very nice. The idea of creating a hotspot from my phone and make the setup that way is good, but:
    1. As far as i know i cannot create a hotspot without a password
    2. Still doesn't think the BeoLit 12 seaches for wi-fi in the setup progress. It requires a wired LAN connection.

Would love to be proven wrong though Smile 

• 01-13-2012 6:38 AM In reply to

Just found videos on Youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFw_sqaIPqw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KtuZOjrGF8&feature=endscreen&NR=1

In the second video he says that the price will be 699€

• 01-13-2012 9:15 AM In reply to

CasperI:

I don't think you will be.

Everything I have read says you need to be n the local wireless network that beolit talks to.  If your friend has wifi you can reconfigure the beolit and your I device to sit on that network, but at the beach or picnic you will need to cable to the beolit.

• 01-13-2012 9:33 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

rednik:

CasperI:

I don't think you will be.

Everything I have read says you need to be n the local wireless network that beolit talks to.  If your friend has wifi you can reconfigure the beolit and your I device to sit on that network, but at the beach or picnic you will need to cable to the beolit.

Cable sounds good at the picnic. Saves battery and there's no need to seperate the iPhone and the Beolit.

And think of the interference with several thousands wireless Beolits in Central Park a shiny day! Cool

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

Page 5 of 5 (112 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5