in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-09-2012 10:08 PM by Matthew. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-08-2012 12:48 PM

B&O IR Eye??

I have a 1658 passive unit hooked up to my system and would like to mount the IR Eye on a distant wall...  What I would like to know is am I just able to extend the wires(white cable) for the IR Eye??   Or do I need a whole new wire(white cable) for the eye to function properly.   I was hoping I could just crimp or solder on some extra wire of similar gauge and be done with my install.

THANKS for the help...

• 01-08-2012 2:31 PM In reply to

Re: B&O IR Eye??

I can't see that you will have a problem if you add extra wire as you are thinking but there does seem to be a maximum length you can have.

I saw this in the Masterlink Manual when talking about  BeoLink Active  -

The cable between IR receiver and BeoLink Active must not exceed 5 metres
    (supplied).

A special 15-metre low-capacity cable can be ordered, order no. 6270668.

It does not say about BeoLink Passive but I would hazzard a guess it has the same limitation!

Stoobie

• 01-08-2012 3:18 PM In reply to

At the moment I am at the 5m length.  I would just like another few feet or so but I am not sure if it will cause any problems with the unit or damage it.   I am a bit hesitant to try in other words to just add some wire!!

• 01-09-2012 10:08 PM In reply to

• Matthew
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-01-2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

During my install I did last year (Passive amp with IR eye) I was in the same position you're now in with a shortage of about 2m. I had some spare cable from another unused IR eye that I simply soldered in to make the extension. I was a bit worried about how it would go, but it has been working just fine for the last 12 months or so (fingers crossed!).

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)