in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-22-2012 3:32 AM by DaveP. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-05-2012 11:39 PM

• DaveP
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-06-2012
    • Vancouver Canada
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

BS3 not picking up Lab 5s

My BS3 failed to detect the Lab 5 front speakers.  It has happened before & it took the local dealer/tech 6 months to get it working, by repeatedly disconnecting/reconnecting the power to both the BS3 & the Lab 5s.  The BS3 can't detect them in the Sound Menu although it picks up the Lab 3s used as Rear & the 7-2 Centre speakers.  Any suggestions/advice as to what can be tried?  The Lab 5s Green light come on when the Speaker 2 setting is selected.  Thanks in advance. 

• 01-06-2012 4:03 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

Re: BS3 not picking up Lab 5s

It could be a couple of things, but most likely the BL5's are missing the power link data. The main fix is to update the BS3 to at least SW 3.1, which I presumse is already done in your case. If this is the case, make sure the Option setting is correct: To make sure Option 0 is selected, do this by selecting Option 1 and then re-set it to Option 0.

You can measure the signal: check the voltage between pin 6 & 7. Turn on the TV with all PL cables attached, if it is below 4v disconnect all cables and measure again - if >4v now, then the fault is most likely with a cable. The most convenient way is to check power link data by using a speaker with display (Penta, BL4500 etc).

Roger

• 01-06-2012 11:13 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

I think, Roger is right, assuming, that BL5 should be updated to SW 3.X not the BS3...(?) But this depends on how old your BL5s are.

And for changing option setting to BL5 you must change the Link Option - L.OPT.

First thing - as always - disconnect BS3 and your BL5s from the mains (after setting it to standby mode), wait a few minutes and reconnect.

You said, BL5s green light comes up in SPEAKER 2 mode. What about SPEAKER 4 mode? And are they red in SPEAKER 1 - 3 - 5 mode?

Did you - or your dealer - assign the Powerlink ports correctly? 

Next thing I`d try is to disconnect the front Powerlink out and connect it to your BL3s - Same fault?

Next you can try  - connect your BL5s to the rear Powerlink...?

Next if your BL5s are daisy chained: disconnect both Powerlink cables (are they fully wired?) connect just one BL5 with one PL cable, then the second. - same fault?

Hope this helps

Stefan

• 01-06-2012 11:59 AM In reply to

• DaveP
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-06-2012
    • Vancouver Canada
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Thank you Stefan & Roger for your pointers.  I will certainly test them as suggested

Both my BL5 & r BS3 are 2 years old.  I updated the BS3 sw about 18 months ago.  Can you please advise how i can check the BL5 sw version myself?

I must have tried (so did the B&O technicians - 3 different guys on different occasions) unplugging & reconnecting the power to the BL5 & BS3 over 100 times.   i also suspect the cables the BL5s are not daisy chained so both connecting cables have to be bad to have this happen to botqh speakers.  The BL5s work when the technician connected a BS4000 directly to them (bypassing the BS3).  The lights on the BL5s are red in Speaker 1, and green in Speaker 2, 3, 4 & 5.  I will check the pin voltages as Roger mentioned.

I have tried plugging the BL5s to all the different output sockets in the BS3, with the same result.  When I do that with the BS3s they show up right away on the BS3 menu.

I appreciate you guys' expert opinion & advice & will continue with the investigation. 

Dave

• 01-06-2012 6:06 PM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

I had the same issue with my BS3 /BL5. A software update of the BS3 fixed the problem...

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 01-07-2012 2:41 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Agree. Must be the BS3. BL5s work when connecting to your BS, so BL5 and Powerlink cables should be ok.

Did you check the SW of your BS3? Service menu is available by pressing MENU - 0 - 0 - GO.

Usually SW is displayed in white color, but if there is a nonmatching line it is displayed red.

Stefan

• 01-07-2012 11:00 PM In reply to

• DaveP
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-06-2012
    • Vancouver Canada
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Thank you Stefan.  Your suggestion really helped.  My BS3's SW version is 8.12a.  I assume there's a newer SW available & the dealer tech will come next week to update the SW.  I will try this first & hope this solves the problem.  Thanks to all who gave me possible areas to look at.

Dave 

• 01-08-2012 12:07 AM In reply to

Wow, i have the exact same five speaker setup and the exact same problem.

I am tired of dealing with it all the time with disconnecting and reconnecting the cables and the mains every month or so as it reoccurs.

And i have one more sympthom of this problem: the led on the lab5 which is on the left flashes green instead of lighting up solidly when in use...

BL5 (pair), BL3 (pair), BL7-2, Beosystem3 w/dvb-s, cabinet, BS4 w/DAB, BV8-26 w/sys module, Beocom 2, Beo5, Beo4, Beoport, A9 and a garbage DVD2

• 01-08-2012 12:27 AM In reply to

• DaveP
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-06-2012
    • Vancouver Canada
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Kurkank: thanks for sharing.  May I ask what SW version do you have?  I'm hoping the SW update I'll be doing next week will solve the problem, as it did for Kawo.

Roger: you mentioned the Option setting should be at 0.  I noticed mine is set at Option 1.  What significance does this have & does this contribute to the problem I'm having?  Thanks for your input.

David

• 01-08-2012 8:20 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

"My BS3's SW version is 8.12a.  I assume there's a newer SW available & the dealer tech will come next week to update the SW.  I will try this first & hope this solves the problem."

Strange. Your BS3 must have one of the earlier SW with grey UI - right? You said, your BS3 was updated to that SW (?) 18 months ago.

Last update of my BV7 (BS3) was a year ago, updated to SW 10.05a - Build 823 with new black UI. Works perfectly with my "old" BL5s SW 1.6(?).

So, if your dealer has updated your BS3 to SW 8.12a 18 months ago, it can`t have been the newest SW...(?!). 

"Roger: you mentioned the Option setting should be at 0.  I noticed mine is set at Option 1.  What significance does this have & does this contribute to the problem I'm having?  Thanks for your input."

BL5 option setting should be L.OPT 0 (controled by video- or audiomaster) - BS3 option should be set to V.OPT 1 (videomaster for video) or V.OPT 2 (videomaster for video and audio).

Good luck with your BS3 SW update.

Stefan

• 01-08-2012 8:31 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

furkank:
    Wow, i have the exact same five speaker setup and the exact same problem.

I am tired of dealing with it all the time with disconnecting and reconnecting the cables and the mains every month or so as it reoccurs.

And i have one more sympthom of this problem: the led on the lab5 which is on the left flashes green instead of lighting up solidly when in use...

If you have a BS3 - or BV7, BV9 incl. a BS3 - in your setup check the SW and update.

Do you have sound from your left BL5? Red in standby mode?

Calbration on your left BL5 works?

Change left - right via switch on the back of the BL5s - same fault?

Stefan

• 01-09-2012 12:02 AM In reply to

• DaveP
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-06-2012
    • Vancouver Canada
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Stefan:  thank you for your post.  My menu has white lettering on a black background.  The Monitor Information screen says "06 IC3  AP SW8.12a,  06 IC2  IOP SW23.00a", so I assume my BS3 SW version is 8.12a. 

The dealer did say there's been quite a few updates issued since mine was updated.  I trust it will be updated to the current version when the tech comes by.

Dave

• 01-11-2012 8:41 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

Dave, please keep us posted!

Roger

• 01-11-2012 1:16 PM In reply to

• DaveP
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-06-2012
    • Vancouver Canada
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Hi just an update:  the tech came yesterday to update the software on both the BS3 & the BL5s.  Problem still there.  He used his own cables and he checked the voltages of the pins but for 3 hours of setting/resetting couldn't get the BS3 & BL5s to talk to each other.

At least now we have narrowed the possibilities.  He's suspecting the BS3.  He would be consulting B&O and would return with another BS3 to try out.  I'm hoping it's the BS3 that is the problem instead of the BL5s, as the BS3 is more transportable.  Hate to think of transporting the BL5s to the shop for diagnosis/repairs.  Will report progress when the tech returns.

Dave 

• 01-22-2012 3:32 AM In reply to

• DaveP
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-06-2012
    • Vancouver Canada
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Just an update & hope this solves the pr oblem:  after much back & forth testing the tech discovered that the soldered pin connections to the BL 3s & the 7-2 center speakers have a short.  The pins 2 & 7 were either interchanged or were touching.  The BL 3s and the 7-2 seemed to operate normally all this time but the tech said this interfered with the data transfer to the BL5s.  Anyways he re-did the connections and so far the BL5s are back in operation.

The original testing didn't pick up this fault, according to the tech, as these other connections were not removed during the testing of the BL5s.  The BL5s came to life after we've removed the other speakers' connections & reset the BS3.  That was the final clue that led to the discovery of the cabling issues of the other speakers.

Thank you for the advices given here that helped to provide great insight.

Dave

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)