in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-08-2012 11:19 AM by adro. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-05-2012 3:55 AM

• adro
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-26-2009
    • Posts 23
    • Gold Member

Beosound 5 with Beosound 4

Hallo.

I have ripped all our Cd's to the BS5, but once in a while my wife would like to play a Cd, she has borrowed, or one of these that comes with magazines etc. Normally I do not wish to put these on the BS5, and since we have no stereo cd players in the house, she ends up using a computer. She is not very happy with this and want to have a cd player in our living room. I would of course like to use the BS5 setup, so I have looked into different solutions. One is to connect a CD player to the AUX via a USB converter, but I have heared the the converter sound quality is not to good. There are not to many BO CD players to choose from, so have anybody connected a BS 4 to a BS5?

What would be the limitations/problems? Wold the BS 5 just be a passive "slave",  Also, what about the sound quality of the BS 4?

Any thoughts comments are appreciated.

Rgds

Atle

• 01-05-2012 4:30 AM In reply to

Re: Beosound 5 with Beosound 4

adro:
    Also, what about the sound quality of the BS 4?

Hi, don't have a BS5 myself; is yours an Encore version ?  What speakers do you have attached to it ?

I am impressed by our BS4's CD and especially the SD card capture and replay - beautiful quality.

I was disappointed in the radio capabilities - I bought the BS4 rather than a 3200 because I thought DAB was the way of the future ... I now wish I had paid the extra and got an iconic design.

On the other hand we barely use the BS4, despite my wife having the needs that your wife has.

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-05-2012 5:01 AM In reply to

• adro
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-26-2009
    • Posts 23
    • Gold Member

Hi.

No, its not the Encore. Speakers are BL3 and a BL11, just about perfect for our not to big living room.

I am also afraid that if a buy a BS4, it will barely be used, only collecting dust and reduce/limit the operation of my BS5.

Atle

• 01-05-2012 5:12 AM In reply to

• Opman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2007
    • Cheshire, UK
    • Posts 323
    • Bronze Member

As BeoSound1 has recently been discontinued why not see if you can pick up an ex demo model at a keen price? This gives your wife the flexibilty to listen to the odd CD anywhere in the house.

Opman

• 01-05-2012 6:18 AM In reply to

Hi,

Have the same problem with my Encore, it's easily solved!

I just connected a portable discman to the aux and it sounds great !!

Especialy iff it's only occasionaly, this is a splendid solution.

Enjoy your Encore !

Twan.

• 01-05-2012 7:21 AM In reply to

I have my BeoCenter 2 connected as the slave and can play a cd using the DVD function. However, that might only work because I have it connected to a BeoSystem 3. I'm not sure.

You could always use a BeoSound 4 or BeoCenter 2 as the audio master and make the BeoSound 5 the slave. However, in such a case you would need to use the BeoSound 5 or BeoCenter 2's aux input instead of that of the BeoSound 5 for connecting iPods, etc, to the aux. You would also lose the ability to assign a different command to the N.Music and N.Radio. For me, I preferred to make the BeoSound 5 the master just so that I could use the DVD button on my Beo4 for N.Music.

It seems like the perfect solution would be for B&O to allow the new CD ripper attachment to be used for CD playback without copying the music to the BeoSound 5, if the user chose not to copy the music.

• 01-05-2012 3:01 PM In reply to

beojeff:
    It seems like the perfect solution would be for B&O to allow the new CD ripper attachment to be used for CD playback without copying the music to the BeoSound 5, if the user chose not to copy the music.

+1

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-06-2012 6:17 PM In reply to

• adro
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-26-2009
    • Posts 23
    • Gold Member

Thanks for all inputs.

Totally agree that the CD ripper should allow playback only, that would be a very elegant solution, and as BO now have the hardware I guess its only a programming question?

I have decided to wait to see what BO is coming up with in the next couple of months, and while I wait Big Smile , my wife will have to continue to use her pc, or I might go for a simple discman solution.

Anyway I will put the BS4 on hold, unless I come across a nice used one.

Regards

Atle

• 01-06-2012 6:42 PM In reply to

adro:
    I guess its only a programming question?

yes ... and a lot of deep thinking, so I understand their caution.

Should a remote now select "source" on the BS5 - [CD] versus [A.MEM] ?

Should it allow track skips ?

Backwards as well as forwards ?

Random ?

The list of user requirements could be endless .........

• 01-07-2012 9:52 AM In reply to

elephant:

Should a remote now select "source" on the BS5 - [CD] versus [A.MEM] ?

Should it allow track skips ?

Backwards as well as forwards ?

Random ?

The list of user requirements could be endless .........

And as I said in an earlier thread, it would just create another - rather redundant - use case to complicate the user interface.

Perhaps it would be fine, if you just want to play the disc once over. But as soon as you repeat a track, you would (or at least should) feel a bit stupid - why didn't you just rip it to begin with, and play it from the library? What reason is there not to?

But I guess there could be some needs where you really would be happy with a limited storage time. Perhaps you could select something to have the album automatically deleted from the library at the next reboot, or something... at least the copyright mafia would be happier.

Maybe a compromise - rip the disc automatically, but leave it spinning afterwards and pretend to the user that it is being played directly? Everybody would be happy Big Smile

-mika

• 01-07-2012 8:05 PM In reply to

Yes I rember your "use case" post :-)

tournedos:
    Perhaps it would be fine, if you just want to play the disc once over. But as soon as you repeat a track, you would (or at least should) feel a bit stupid - why didn't you just rip it to begin with, and play it from the library? What reason is there not to?

!! Christmas Jingles !!

• 01-08-2012 11:19 AM In reply to

• adro
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-26-2009
    • Posts 23
    • Gold Member

Hi

I do not agree. They could make it very easy. Two choices: 1. Rip the disc. 2. Play the disc from start to end. If you like what you hear, and will play that disc again, no problem just rip it to the BM5.  If not then you have the choice of playing it from start to end once in a while. No fancy CD player functions as the BS5 takes care of that.

Rgds

AtleSmile

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)