in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-05-2012 4:51 AM by GeorgeManc. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-04-2012 9:24 AM

1972 Beogram 1202 - operates fine, but sound is very quiet, only from one speaker, and has high pitched hum.. help!

I recently acquired an old 1972 1202 in decent condition, and after some cleaning and wood repairs to the plynth, appears to be nearly new! all the functions work fine, the motor gets up to speak fine, the auto functions of the arm work fine, the records play at the right speeds.. but! the signal is very quiet and is accompanied by a loud but high-to-mid pitched hum. And the sound is only coming from one speaker. I have attached the 1202 to a modern amp by using a 5pin DIN to phonos adaptor (admittedly a cheap one, as I wanted to know if the record player worked before forking out on a proper one from Sounds Heavenly). When the amp is cranked right up, we can hear the record playing fine, with no distortion, so I think the cartridge (an SP14) and the stylus are both fine. I am thinking it must be a minor problem with the output - perhaps the wire itself or the connections inside. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks

George

• 01-04-2012 10:17 AM In reply to

Re: 1972 Beogram 1202 - operates fine, but sound is very quiet, only from one speaker, and has high pitched hum.. help!

1. Does your amp have a built in phono stage (RIAA?) If not, that accounts for the very quiet sound - probably sounds a bit bass light too!

2. You need an earth wire from the casing of the DIN plug to the earth of the amplifier.

• 01-04-2012 11:22 AM In reply to

Re: 1972 Beogram 1202 - operates fine, but sound is very quiet, only from one speaker, and has high pitched hum.. help!

1. Oh dear. I see. The amp doesn't have any inputs marked phono.. just AUX and TAPE. its the same on both inputs. So I'm guessing the 1202 doesn't have a preamp, and neither does this Hi-Fi I'm using. Would that explain the output only coming from one side too though?

2. Are you suggesting earthing that DIN plug to the amp will correct this, or is this something I have to do as well as?

Thanks!

• 01-04-2012 11:52 AM In reply to

1.The quietness is down to the lack of RIAA. The missing channel is either the cartridge - not so likely on an SP14 in my experience - or a dodgy connection either in the DIN plug or a dodgy adapter.

2. Earhing the DIN will do this - good adapters have an extra earth wire. Run any wire between the chassis of the Beogram and an earth on the amplifier as a test and you should hear that the hum goes.

• 01-04-2012 12:55 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

This is the adapter that came with a BG3404.  Note the ground wire.

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 01-05-2012 4:51 AM In reply to

Ok.. update time.. I bought a RIAA amp - this has given me volume. Thanks Doctor!

And I've earthed the turntable - this has got rid of the hum in the good channel. Thank you for that pic Rich.

However, one of the channels is still not producing sound, and a lot of hum. If I unplug the speaker thats carrying that channel, the sound is pretty good (albeit just half the signal!). So would it be safe to assume it's a wiring fault within the turntable, or the DIN plug, or the adaptor?

And although the sound is quite good, it's quite muffled and lacking high-mids and high freqs. Is this just going to be the quality I should expect from a 35 - 40 year old record player? Or could it be due to the crap leads? Or could it be the cartridge is not as it once was?

Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)