in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-24-2011 3:41 PM by elephant. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-23-2011 10:40 PM

• Cad55Ken
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-09-2011
    • Dallas Texas
    • Posts 4
    • Gold Member

BeoMaster 5500 Will not turn on.

I recently purchased a BeoMaster 5500, pair of Penta Mark 1 6603 speakers, CD player, B&O 10 disc auxillary / add on CD player, and Cassette deck.

All components light up with the exception of the RECEIVER/AMP.  It came crated and bubble wrapped.  It was working when it left Hilton Head Island SC.  I was here when it was unloaded and put into my garage- no jarring.

When I press the 'System Status' button on the master control panel, it responds "Not Connected".  There is not RED dot on in in the upper right hand corner of the receiver.  Yes, I have good power from the power outlet.

Before I ship it off to a repair center, is there anything I can try?

One other question regarding the Penta Mark I 6603 active speakers.  If I am lucky enough to find 4 pin 'speakerlink' cables and get them connected to a soon to be working BeoMaster 5500, will this then utilize the speaker's built in amplifiers?

Thanks for any and all help - Ken.

• 12-23-2011 11:13 PM In reply to

Re: BeoMaster 5500 Will not turn on.

welcome to beoworld and congratulations on a magnificent purchase

when you switch the power on to the BM5500 do you hear any relays clicking ? is there any heat / warmth coming out of the back ?  

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-23-2011 11:19 PM In reply to

• Cad55Ken
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-09-2011
    • Dallas Texas
    • Posts 4
    • Gold Member

Pardon my ignorance please - I am new.  I just plug it in and there is no clicking of relays and I have left it plugged in for hours now and no warmth or heat from the back.

If there is a POWER SWITCH, it is well hidden.  "IS" there a seperate / distinct power switch?

Regards and thanks!!

Ken

• 12-24-2011 12:42 AM In reply to

Cad55Ken:

Pardon my ignorance please - I am new.  I just plug it in and there is no clicking of relays and I have left it plugged in for hours now and no warmth or heat from the back.

If there is a POWER SWITCH, it is well hidden.  "IS" there a seperate / distinct power switch?

Regards and thanks!!

Ken

Hi Ken, we were all new once !

I have a BM 5000, but they are all much the same. There is no power switch - just plug it in and switch on the wall socket.

Most elementary thing to check is the fuse - we might have to wait until a BM5500 owner turns up to tell you where that is located (or god forbid, instruct you to open the unit up, it is both easy and tricky *sigh* so let's hope you don't need to)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-24-2011 1:14 AM In reply to

• Cad55Ken
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-09-2011
    • Dallas Texas
    • Posts 4
    • Gold Member

Thanks!!

I am guessing the fuse is out - maybe - hope - just finished reading over the technical repair manual and noticed a fuse was listed in the parts list and shown in the schematic.

I need rest - have been reading B&O stuff all evening.  Will open it up tomorrow - the directions are quite clear.   THe next question is IF it is a blown fuse, I wonder where I would find a fuse for this thing.  I know where to get car fuses.   If anyone knows, please speak up.

Thanks - Ken.

• 12-24-2011 10:43 AM In reply to

• Cad55Ken
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-09-2011
    • Dallas Texas
    • Posts 4
    • Gold Member

OK - all is well - while searching for the two fuses (not that hard) I found a nick in the power cord.  Repaired it and all is well.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL B&O members!!!!!!!! 

• 12-24-2011 12:22 PM In reply to

That's good news! Did you managed to connect your Penta's to the BM5500?

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 12-24-2011 12:43 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Regarding the speakerlink get some single cored shielded cable and an old 8 pin din plug. Remove pins from said plug solder shield to one pin and the core wire to the other apply some liquid plastic insulation stuff then plug them straight into the two holes data holes of the speaker link sockets. You can then knock up an audio lead from the pre-amp out of the 5500 to the phono in of the penta speaker. Mine are working fine like this :)

Or if you want buy complete leads from sounds heavenly...

The only thing though is that the audio goes through the amp of the 5500 after a recent thread regarding 8000>pentas I had the idea to connect the phono sockets of my 5500 to the true pre-amp level as in the earlier 5000 amp - should hopefully improve sound quality a little :)

Olly.

• 12-24-2011 3:41 PM In reply to

Cad55Ken:

OK - all is well - while searching for the two fuses (not that hard) I found a nick in the power cord.  Repaired it and all is well.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL B&O members!!!!!!!! 

That is great news !

Now you can christen the kit by playing Christmas carols :))

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)