in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-27-2011 8:01 AM by bsantini. 31 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-26-2011 2:37 PM In reply to

Re: Beosound 5/beomaster 5 ...final stretch.

@StUrrock

Did you ever look at the Genres diplayed in tags? Did you ever experienced the unorderly choisses in the tags for genres? Ever used db like Gracenotes, Freedb, Musicbrainz and looked at the different possible genres for the same album?

Do your customers really understand how these tags are filled and how inappropiate they can be? 

Therefore I doubt the use of Genre, in general. Even if they say they use it on their iThing!

edit:

just an example, iTunes has placed New Adventures in Hi-Fi of R.E.M. as New Age on my iPod Touch & iPad??!!??

• 12-26-2011 3:11 PM In reply to

Actually i make my own genres in the genre section of iTunes, for instance if i think a sexy RNB or chill out tune is good for late night playlists, I label it as Beach House! Then i have se*y music to drive home to after the gym on my lil iPhone!

I think it would be awful if you could not make playlists - they are so valuable and essential!

• 12-26-2011 5:34 PM In reply to

Just as one can and will add high res coverart, one can also edit these tags, even create their own.

The one from grace note is merely a default, a suggestion.

That said, they may not fix this with the Beosound 5 but I would expect them to come up with more digital music products. At some point they will have something that will work for those, who do not buy into what the Beosound 5 is. I won't but am eagerly holding out for them to come up with something.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 12-26-2011 7:11 PM In reply to

Carolpa:

I use BS5 and BS5e, and guess what? I will play what and when I want to hear it! And my music collection is much easier to approach then finding my cd's. This leads even to playing albums I didn't listen to for a long time, just because you simply have the choise on the screen.

Thats great for you, Carolpa, I'm happy you like your BS5 & BS5e.

Personally, when I want to listen to a Billy Joel track/album I reach for that CD, if I want a Prince track/album I do same, a Vivaldi piece I do the same. If I want to listen to a radio station (preset) I press 'Radio' on my Beo4 or MCP and listen to it.

I dont actually want a suggested 'genre' when I want to listen to Billy Joel, that the clever machine suggests, I want to listen to Billy Joel playing that track or album that I wanted - not something that sounds vaguely familiar musically etc etc.

I agree that whenever I want to put a different disc on (every 2 discs actually as I have 2 cd units in my 7000) I have to walk across my room about 4 meters and physically change it in my BS7000 and I suppose that is a pain (being a lazy *** person), so I'm thinking of replacing my old 7000 with a BS9000, so at least I can load it with 6 discs.... I actually listen to the Radio more often than CD's in any case.

I dont actually know about sales figures, but I'd be willing to wager that, as a company, B&O sold many many more units of BS5000/6500/7000, BS9000, BC8500/9000/9500, Ouvertures, Centurys etc etc than they ever will sell units of BeoSound 5's. At the end of BS5's production run would you like to hazard a guess at how successful it has been as a product for B&O compared to those older 1980's & 90's units...?

As I said, I dont know any figures, so perhaps I'm totally incorrect. But something tells me the BS5 is going to be nowhere near as successful as previous Bang & Olufsen Hi Fi Systems and Centers. I just dont think they have the same appeal as systems of yesteryear.

Happy New Year.

Michael

BV5, BV Avant, MX4000, MX1500

BS 7000, BS 5500

Penta III, Penta II, BL 4000, RL 60.2,  RL 35, CX-100 Alu

BL 7000, MCP6500, MCP5500,  BL 5000,  Beo4 (x2), BL 1000 (x2)

• 12-27-2011 2:08 AM In reply to

jk1002:

Just as one can and will add high res coverart, one can also edit these tags, even create their own.

The one from grace note is merely a default, a suggestion.

True, and all tag-info is adjustable, but this is not the point made. Most frustrations with the BS5 comes from wrong expectation about the tags in digital music. Most people expect that from origine all tag are filled just like a "telephone book"; all info is organized the same way, even with a international standard. Let alone that the majority doesn't know that they can change and for sure they do not know how to change tags.

But one has to define his own tag standard and then has to keep to it and be consequent. 

This said I do not believe in the general use of Genre as tag information (keep in mind people tend to use the given info). The artist, the album, the track, the cover can be presented differently but stay "the same" : ' Jeffrey Foucault" or "Foucault, Jeffrey" is just a choise but still the same artist, whereas tags for Genre for one and the same album are given all kind of flavours. 

Somewhat the same of the year of an album. Is DSOTM from 1973 or 1992 (cd) or 2003 (SACD) or 2011 (remastered)? 

• 12-27-2011 2:33 AM In reply to

Bentleyman:
    I dont actually want a suggested 'genre' when I want to listen to Billy Joel, that the clever machine suggests, I want to listen to Billy Joel playing that track or album that I wanted - not something that sounds vaguely familiar musically etc etc.

than the BS5 is ideal: chose artist "Billy Joel" and you will get all his albums to select from (select the album and you have all the tracks). Or you can press GO directly if the display shows "Billy Joel" and the BS5 plays all the tracks of Billy Joel randomly.

Bentleyman:
    As I said, I dont know any figures, so perhaps I'm totally incorrect. But something tells me the BS5 is going to be nowhere near as successful as previous Bang & Olufsen Hi Fi Systems and Centers. I just dont think they have the same appeal as systems of yesteryear.

In my opinion this has all to do with prizes and that they almost missed the boat the last decade. The BS5 came 5 years to late, but the software of the BS5 at release was 2 years to early.

The prize differences between B&o and others has increased. Therefor their possible marketshare is decreasing. 

happy New Year 

• 12-27-2011 8:01 AM In reply to

as I've gained experience with tagging and my BS 5 and other music players ( WMP, ITunes, Media Monkey), I'd have to agree that tagging and consistency in tagging is very important to keep your files organized for use on multiplayers, and for the future. to this end, my method consists of:

1: when ripping, using WMP with Variable bit WMA lossless.

2: when receiving downloads, regardless of format, using Media Monkey to manage them.

3: after CD rips to My Music, I use Bliss music tagger, which is rules based, and therefore imparts consistency in your rules application.

4: Any tag edits needed after Bliss on the music file are done with MP3 tag, regardless of type of file. Here, I will often fill in blank tag fields, such as composer, album artist, etc, as I see fit, even if the BS5 doesn't employ these tag fields at this time. Sometimes, especially in a Various artists album, BS does. 

I highly recommend reading the Bliss Music tagger blog, as the owner discusses at length many of the issues members are confronting here. He is also open to owner input for incorporating new and additional features.

Here's the latest blog:

http://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/index.html

But Beoworld has also been excellent in this regard.

Barry

PS, Oh, and BTW, he also says *forget* consistency in the "genre" tag.

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2