in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-16-2012 5:04 AM by vlohjr1. 48 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (49 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-24-2011 2:53 AM In reply to

Re: BeoVision 12-65

Thanks for sharing Yes -  thumbs up

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 12-25-2011 11:22 AM In reply to

I don't like it.

Might look better in the flesh. But judging from the pics, I'm not too excited. The BS3 is separated? What's the point.........? Couldn't it be integrated already with a new design of the components???

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 12-25-2011 1:36 PM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

Razlaw:
    The price that is in the region of the 7-55, does that include the Beosystem 3 or just the screen?

That does include the BS3: You get the speaker, screen, wall mount and BS3 for roughly the same price as a 7-55 with 7-6, bluray and motorized floor stand.

Roger

• 12-25-2011 4:44 PM In reply to

bayerische:

I don't like it.

Might look better in the flesh. But judging from the pics, I'm not too excited. The BS3 is separated? What's the point.........? Couldn't it be integrated already with a new design of the components???

I like the screen and its speaker - I guess we will have to wait to see if the centre speaker outperforms a BV10's speaker.

I would like to have a replacement for the BS3 simply for reasons of aesthetics even though it would probably be hidden.

However I would use my BL3s rather than adorn the walls with the new speakers .... but of course the real test lies in the hearing !

Disappointed in the pricing ...... cheap and nasty 60" plasma panels are on sale locally for 1/20th !!! of the projected price of this new kit.

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-26-2011 7:13 PM In reply to

• BillC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

It's very interesting news. Will have to see it in real life but its going to have a tough time ahead, LG has just confirm that they plan to introduce a 55" OLED TV at CES 2012. Visual display tech is definitely moving into interesting times ahead Smile.

Lets hope B&O releases the BeoVision soon and not drop the ball on actual delivery date

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/25/lgs-55-inch-worlds-largest-oled-hdtv-panel-is-official-comi/

• 12-27-2011 8:09 AM In reply to

That is a very odd TV set, and this coems from Bang&Olufsen? Are you kidding me?

Soory for that amount of money this peace of schit? THANK YOU - BUT NO THANK YOU!

• 12-27-2011 8:50 AM In reply to

Thank BillC for posting that! OLED is certainly the way forward.  I thought Plasma was super old technology with a soft image?

• 12-27-2011 9:27 AM In reply to

To place the pricing into context,the Panasonic VX300 monitor costs approximately £8000.

As a technology,Plasma still has much to recommend it over LCD/LED,especially in the area of 3D.

One thing I have never understood with B & O Plasmas,viz,for those who are unable to wall mount,the non provision of a table top,or floor,stand.

• 12-27-2011 3:15 PM In reply to

Exactly.  Taken in a context, ie comparing with similar products, the price is as expected  As stated above the Pansonic panel (no tuner, no speaker, no nice frame, no VisionClear, no masterlink, no surround processor etc) retails for around 8-9k in the UK.

re one posters comment about the seperate BS3.  I would think most people wuld prefer to keep this unit seperate.  It makes adding/changing sources much easier.  Speakers can be aded easily, and there are only 3 or 4 cables to run between the Tv and the BeoSystem.

• 12-27-2011 3:50 PM In reply to

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

avus17:

That is a very odd TV set, and this coems from Bang&Olufsen? Are you kidding me?

Soory for that amount of money this peace of schit? THANK YOU - BUT NO THANK YOU!

How can you judge a new product that you and must of us haven´t seen in flesh yet? So far we have seen a single picture, and not a good one some says. It´s not fair to judge from that. Maybe it´s a peace of *** maybe it´s not. I´m looking forward to see it in flesh soon.

It´s not magic - it´s Bang & Olufsen

• 12-27-2011 3:59 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

I wish i could compare like for like with regards to the Panasonic, and the 12 with VisionClear. There is very little information about this technology which i'm sure most of us take as rote, as to being the best visual software you can buy.

From what i hear it's fantastic in the flesh so we will all have to wait and see, and then wait a little longer than that no doubtWink

Exciting times ahead as yet again a tranche of new technolgies threaten to mature. The old guard at B&O who designed TV's must think they had it easy for 50 odd years with CRT, for then Plasma, LCD, LED LCD, and now OLED to all arrive within 10 years. Why they don't make a generic platform that might cost the earth, but can then be upgraded with new panel technology is beyond me.

I guess the 7 is the nearest to it. When i look at Beovision 9's almost being discarded with their beautiful design and speakers, just because the Plasma is out of date i can't help thinking about how hard it really would be to update circuitury and panel Travel

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 12-27-2011 4:52 PM In reply to

Paul Winn:

Thank BillC for posting that! OLED is certainly the way forward.  I thought Plasma was super old technology with a soft image?

Don't forget AMOLED tv is on the horizon and then there is this:

http://youtu.be/9U7e_quvkPQ

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 12-27-2011 8:43 PM In reply to

• BillC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

I agree with Chris, it be wonderful if B&O could build a modular platform where that could upgrade the panel and source as new tech comes along.

I'd be willing to buy an OLED BeoVision 4 85" knowing that down the track I can upgrade whenever new tech comes along Laughing

I don't know about you guys, its hard for me to justify AUD 33k (or 100k for the 85") on a TV set that’s superseded by better tech even before it’s launched. Having upgrade options would help push people like me to open their wallets. Visual technology has a long way to go before the marginal gain on each innovation is low, there's OLED, AMOLED, 4k panels and much more to come.

BTW separating the source/processing unit from the panel has been done by many TV manufacturers. Sony had it on their flagship TVs. LG uses wireless link to transmit full HD to the panel and it works great. I hope B&O jump to wireless link if they went that route - it helps with hanging the panel on the wall

• 12-28-2011 2:20 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Perhaps I am missing something here. but B&O do offer a modular approach, it's called the BeoSystem 3.  Which I think we are guessing is the driver for the BeoVision 12.  I don't think that there's any evidence which suggests that you couldn't change to a different panel in the future if you wish to do so.  The only hindrance would seem to be the integrated speaker.

A minor quibble though.  Having not yet seen the larger OLED panels in person, nor anything on the AMOLED, I have to say that newer tech is not always better tech, certainly not at the outset.  I think that B&O have done a reasonable job staying off of the bleeding edge of technology. 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 12-29-2011 9:36 AM In reply to

• BillC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Russ - perhaps a trip to CES 2012 is in order for you Smile

While you are there you could also have a look at the 4k panel

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/28/lg-unveils-84-inch-ultra-definition-4k-tv-its-bringing-to-ces/

I've seen the current largest OLED in the flesh and I can tell you it knocks the socks off any current plasma or LED/LCD TVs. There is lots of cutting edge tech that is far superior than the panel tech in commercially available TV.  Even PC monitors can have far better resolution, response rates and colour reproduction than the current generation of TVs.

As for the current B&O being modular, non of the dealership in Sydney have ever indicated there is an official upgrade program for BeoVision TVs. For example, as far as I know, B&O has not committed to making available OLED kits for the current BeoVision 7 55". Personally I doubt they will ever do so as it would be too restrictive for B&O and besides they would prefer making money on each new model.

• 12-29-2011 11:49 AM In reply to

It is very easy to become seduced by new technology,but given that problems associated with LCD/LED have not been solved,how does one know that one is not going to substitute a new set of problems for an existing set.

For example,with OLED,has the differing life expectances of the RGB colours been resolved,and if so,what is the expected total life expectancy of an OLED TV?

• 12-29-2011 1:20 PM In reply to

TerryM:

It is very easy to become seduced by new technology,but given that problems associated with LCD/LED have not been solved,how does one know that one is not going to substitute a new set of problems for an existing set.

For example,with OLED,has the differing life expectances of the RGB colours been resolved,and if so,what is the expected total life expectancy of an OLED TV?

This is really a good question and I guess the answer depends on what an individual expects.  Not too long ago, one could expect a TV or a music player of any sort to last for up to maybe 20 years.  I think for high end electronic purchases, the useful life is probably down to 10 years and moving down to maybe about 5 years for some item like panels.  LED/LCD problems are mostly resolved and usually a function of price.  You will pay more for a better quality panel of any sort.  OLED/AMOLED is very spectacular and will soon be common.  Use the Bang and Olufsen rule...wait at least 2 years!

Adding to the mix of what is coming is the possibility of a new Apple television.  This may change everything like iTunes or maybe not.  At least, Apple and what they plan will not be ignored.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 12-29-2011 5:37 PM In reply to

BillC:

Russ - perhaps a trip to CES 2012 is in order for you Smile

While you are there you could also have a look at the 4k panel

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/28/lg-unveils-84-inch-ultra-definition-4k-tv-its-bringing-to-ces/

Maybe we should sponsor Russ and he could write us a trip report, CC to Tue of course.

BillC:
    As for the current B&O being modular, non of the dealership in Sydney have ever indicated there is an official upgrade program for BeoVision TVs.

The proposition goes like this

1. keep the central speaker
    2. keep the stand
    3. keep the wiring infrastructure
    4. keep the add-on devices
    5. keep the remote
    6. "only" change the panel
    7. thus preserve ±1/3 to ±1/2 of your original investment

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-29-2011 6:00 PM In reply to

If u speak to a good dealer the products have largely been upgradable anyway. Obviously anything with a Beosystem 2 or 3 - especially the 3 - is easily upgraded with a new panel, but in addition to that we have done loads of upgrades of BV4 and BV5 from non HD to HD panels, including adding 2 HD inputs to the Bsys2 based ones. We almost always upgrade the panels on used Bv7-32's to the latest version to get the best possible picture quality, sometimes 7-40's and BV6's too. Anyone with a 7-40 can simply upgrade the panel to a Mk5 or Mk6 3D by just upgrading the screen and keeping stands, speakers, accessories and remote etc. I can't think of a more upgradeable tv brand? None freeview sets can be fitted with freeview modules, some non HD sets can be fitted with HD modules, sound modules can be updated.......

With the 12-65 being Bsys3 based you can just upgrade the panel to whatever, whenever you like!

BV7-40MK4BR,7-32,6-22,6-23,6-26,BSnd5,9000,BLab9,3,4000,2,BCom2,6000,Btalk1200,LC2s,Lutron

• 12-30-2011 4:57 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

The price of trading in my 7-40 mk3 panel for a new 6 is around £5,500(£7,500 for a new mk6 panel, and £2,000 trade in the mk3)

It wasn't that long ago you could buy a whole Avant 32 RF for that. B&O's flagship TVErm

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 12-30-2011 9:50 AM In reply to

Why would you want to?

The picture of the 7-40 mk3 is excellant, and I cannot imagine upgrading a panel for 3d!

The Avant is often held up as a benchmark, though not sure whether this is a fair comparison of value...much smaller screen size for a start.

Looking forward to seeing the 12-65 in the flesh, but as a potential upgrade for older plasmas certainly looking interesting.

• 12-30-2011 10:27 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

TerryM:

This is absolutely correct.  For one, I already know that the life of a plasma or current gen LCD/LED panel will be a good 2-5x longer than current OLED's on the market.  I wonder if LG has done anything to address this.  Further ... don't expect these things to come out and be inexpensive.  Expect a very heavy premium to be attached to whatever finally hits the market.

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 01-16-2012 3:56 AM In reply to

• misled
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 66
    • Bronze Member

BVision10-46,BLab11,BSound5,BMaster5,BLab8000,BLab6000,BLab2500,BCom5,BCom6000,BeoTime,BeoPort,Beo4,Beo5

• 01-16-2012 5:04 AM In reply to

Chris:

The price of trading in my 7-40 mk3 panel for a new 6 is around £5,500(£7,500 for a new mk6 panel, and £2,000 trade in the mk3)

It wasn't that long ago you could buy a whole Avant 32 RF for that. B&O's flagship TVErm

Chris,

I just had mine changed and it is worth it. For starters it is a LED screen the the picture is better IMHO. Secondly I had the non DVD version which is £2000 less (but is a 3D BR player) , thirdly the dealer ripped you off. My BR DVD MKIII screen version is worth £2750 (if this is what you had) but I took advantage of £1000 discount last christmas so it was affordable. PM me if you need the dealer details.

Regards

Vince

Page 2 of 2 (49 items) < Previous 1 2