in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-23-2011 5:42 AM by Stonk. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-21-2011 8:44 PM

• CJM1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-01-2011
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

Are Form 2's good on planes?

My friend and i have been wondering if the From 2's are good for plane journeys or are they better suited for quiet rooms?

Smile

Filed under:
  • 12-21-2011 11:12 PM In reply to

Re: Are Form 2's good on planes?

Hi, having both Form 2 & A8 earphones, I would say the earphones are way better for planes:

- being intra-ear, they block some of the background noise, which the Form 2 won't

- you can always improve the bass response by applying scotch tape on the bass vents at the back

- and, most of all, you'll break the Form 2's very quickly! They are so big & can't be folded in any way, so you'll always have to carry them in the original box or something resistant. And it will eventually take a lot of space in your cabin luggage..Surprise

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 12-22-2011 6:59 AM In reply to

Chrisreunion:

Hi, having both Form 2 & A8 earphones, I would say the earphones are way better for planes:

- being intra-ear, they block some of the background noise, which the Form 2 won't

- you can always improve the bass response by applying scotch tape on the bass vents at the back

- and, most of all, you'll break the Form 2's very quickly! They are so big & can't be folded in any way, so you'll always have to carry them in the original box or something resistant. And it will eventually take a lot of space in your cabin luggage..Surprise

Exactly, as a device you use when you're on the go, get the A8 earphones.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 12-22-2011 8:21 AM In reply to

I'm not sure either Form 2s or A8s are particularly suited to use on aeroplanes, as the biggest issue is consistent and considerable background noise from air conditioning, wind noise and, above all, jet engines  Neither of these 'phones are particularly good at isolating the listener from this.  I have tried A8s, Form 2s, Sennheisser PX100s and others and they all allow to some extent the intrusion of external noise.  The only real solution may be noise cancelling heaphones.

I have used Bose 'Quiet Comforts' on longhaul flights with very satisfactory results.  Whilst they are expensive and do not compare for sound quality with the best available at the price - circa  £250 GBP, they reduce background noise to virtually nil, sound OK, are well made and are very comfortable over extended periods of listening.  They are also well packaged with a carrying case with lots of accessories including a 2 pin adaptor for use with airline entertainment systems.

Cleve

• 12-22-2011 10:15 AM In reply to

• Karla
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-19-2008
    • USA
    • Posts 81
    • Bronze Member

The Form 2 does not block out the ambient noise of the aircraft, and I do not like the muffled sound or quality of the build from the Bose product. I went with the Bowers and Wilkins P5 headphone and I am very pleased. Excellent folding design for travel, great carry case, interchanging wires for Apple products vs. non-Apple products, excellent sound, and very well built. I can also control my iPad2 volume and video with an in-line switch that is vey B&O in design. 

• 12-22-2011 1:22 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

I had an in-flight opportunity to try the Bose Noise-cancelling headphones in May, on a flight leaving Switzerland for Brasil.

The gentleman seated next to me ( Brasilian businessman,  71 years ) had just bought a set, plus a new laptop, and was having problems setting things up on both. New Rimowa titanium luggage too.

I offered to help. The microscopically small instructions were hard to read without magnification. I noted that a micro-SD chip included in his new headphone allowed for a few tracks to be recorded, and offered to do this for him using my laptop. about 15 minutes to load and adjust everything for him, after testing it out first.

Observations:

1. The headphones sound good, but do not cancel all noise as mentioned above. AC, and other aircraft noise is less noticed, but not entirely blocked out.

2. I am used to my A-8's and the weight of the Bose was a slight shock. Same with the initial tightness on the cranium, but that is adjustable.

3. Yes, the Bose is a big plastic headphone, but the case allows it to be put away safely in an attache or carry-on case. Note that unlike the A-8, IT DOES have to be turned off after use.

5. Sound:  I uploaded 2 albums on the micro-chip which then went into the right earphone case. Sounded good, but a little muffled compared to the A-8, when I listened to the same album. No high or distinct trebles.

6. My Business Classe friend was happy with his purchase. He was curious with my A-8 set, which he found easily tangled, and dropped it a few times on the carpet. He asked if they were a Swiss-made product, and I told him No,  Danish (Danamarca). He then asked if I were Danish, and I replied " No, I'm Swiss. "  This seemed a little puzzling to him, until I mentioned that today, almost everything is made in China, including the hot-item IPAD 2.

I then had an opportunity to expand on the good qualities of Bang & Olufsen, showing him my B&O catalogue Nr. 2011. He was impressed with the finish qualities of the B&O metals, asked if he could keep it, so it became a gift.  As is the custom, we exchanged business cards.

Final Review:  I'm keeping my A-8's, and my airline in-flight converter pin set. My friend is happy with his Bose purchase as it functioned as promiseed for his needs. His experience with my A-8's was akin to being handed a fly-fishing reel completely tangled, with a running Salmon hooked-on the other end.

But who knows: This Scout good deed of mine may have made a new B&O customer, as he emailed me later to thank me, saying he had visited the B&O store in Sao Paulo ! It also lessened my carry-on reading baggage by one magazine, which I found later I missed on this trip

• 12-23-2011 1:35 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

For airplanes, I prefer the "inner ear monitor" style of earphones. They are the type that use a rubber or foam piece to seal the can to your ear. These provide a significant drop in exterior noise without even needing active cancellation. And as a plus, they can be spooled up and thrown into a small pocket without the risk of breaking.

I had a pair of Denons, headphones that I have mentioned around here before, and they were great. The "inner ear monitor" is actually my preferred style of earphone - but the A8s simply sound so much better than everything else I've heard.

As much as it pains me to say (I love my A8s!!!!) they are not suited at all for air travel. With that said, neither are the Form 2s. Even car trips are able to overwhelm them.

At present, I'm trying to think of a good reason to go and buy myself a pair of AKG Q350s... Hmm

Evan

• 12-23-2011 4:57 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Evan:

For airplanes, I prefer the "inner ear monitor" style of earphones. They are the type that use a rubber or foam piece to seal the can to your ear. These provide a significant drop in exterior noise without even needing active cancellation. And as a plus, they can be spooled up and thrown into a small pocket without the risk of breaking.

I had a pair of Denons, headphones that I have mentioned around here before, and they were great. The "inner ear monitor" is actually my preferred style of earphone - but the A8s simply sound so much better than everything else I've heard.

As much as it pains me to say (I love my A8s!!!!) they are not suited at all for air travel. With that said, neither are the Form 2s. Even car trips are able to overwhelm them.

At present, I'm trying to think of a good reason to go and buy myself a pair of AKG Q350s... Hmm

+1

I found my A8's all but useless on aircraft as they have little, if any, sound isolation properties. I have Sennheiser in-ear types which are much, much better at suppressing external noise. The in ear types are much better for listening in noisy environments.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-23-2011 5:42 AM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

I use Bose Quiet Comfort and am very pleased, maybe it's because I'm cloth-eared but they sound great to me. A8's are uncomfortable for my ears and I'm forever untangling the blasted things. Form 2's are no good for a plane but are OK- they have the Bang & Olufsen name on them but there is so much better out there.

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)