in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-19-2011 4:43 AM by fpetersson. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-17-2011 5:24 AM

No sound from Beolab 6000

Hello,

I have recently purchased four (4) used Beolab 6000 speakers, but I have problem with one of these. I have connected the speakers (two at a time) to a Beosound Ouverture, and normally when I turn on the Ouverture, the Beoloab 6000 led turns from red to green and there is sound. However, for one of these speakers, the led stays in red and there is no sound.

I have tested different possibilities (left/right, first/second, etc), but the behaviour is the same; the speaker led stays red and no sound. Is there a fuse that can be broken, or something else that is easy to fix on my own. Or do I need to go back to the seller, and ask him to take back the speakers?

Any help is highly appreciated, many thanks! // Fredrik

• 12-17-2011 6:01 AM In reply to

Re: No sound from Beolab 6000

I would absolutely suggest to confront your dealer with the problem! Even if bought on 3,2,1 .... if it was sold to be ok and it is not...

I do not have a clue how much it would be to repair the lab; if the amount exceeds the post and carry costs I would explain to your dealer to get a cut off from price

Bad luck...hope you can fix your problem!

regards elmar

• 12-17-2011 6:31 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Hello Fredrik - and welcome to BeoWorld,

First of all (and this sounds a bit silly, but bear with me) - check that what you think is left or right isn't 'line'..  This has happened before many times to my customers who simply thought that switch was simply left and right.  It's not - it's left, right and line.  If it's switched to line - the red light will stay on.

Secondly, check your powerlink cable and try changing these around just to test. A faulty pin on the powerlink cable will not turn on the speaker and it'll sit there with the red light on.

I would assume that a fault in the speaker will bring on an amber light - it won't simply stay red.  This is why i'm leaning towards the switch or the powerlink cable.

Hope this helps.

Lee

Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 12-17-2011 8:25 AM In reply to

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your quick feedback. I did actually verify with different cables, and the same cable that works for my other speakers doesn't work for this one. But just to be sure I ran a new couple of tests with the same result. I also did try all three possible values of the switch, but it doesn't work with neither left nor right (nor line of course).

I did not know that the led could also have an amber color, I just assumed it was either red or green. This time when I ran my tests I paid a bit more attention, and I can actually hear two "ticks" from the speaker just when the source (the Ouverture) is turned on. I don't know what's inside, but it sounds like something is turned on and then immediately off again. Can't see any difference in the led color though. Does this make any sense? Leading towards a fault in the speaker, maybe?

Elmar: I actually didn't buy them from a dealer (then I would have gone back immediately), but from a friend to a friend who hadn't use them for a while. I will still go back if it doesn't turn out to be something "easy", but I though it was worth a shot here to save us both some trouble...:-)

Have a nice weekend!

• 12-17-2011 12:49 PM In reply to

two clicks from one speaker ?

sounds like the speaker is being activated by the Oveerture and then immediately deactivating itself

do you get two clicks from both speakers ?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-17-2011 12:49 PM In reply to

*deleted* a duplicate post tot he above ... and i was not trying to edge my count up to 2,000 ... honest ... no really honestly Laughing Laughing

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-17-2011 5:11 PM In reply to

Hello Fredrik!

Of course it gets difficult if a friend is involved! And I like ALL threads where a problem is discussed because I might learn something which helps me in future...I'm not an expert on electrics - but I'm very interested in technics! And I like threads with pictures where you can see how somebody disassembled for example a speaker!

I wrote down my first thoughts - Lee of course did the right job - telling you some ways to check where the fault could be!

It is very difficult to give the best hint - we do not know each other and I have no idea about your (technical) skills - but I hope you can fix the problem on your own! And I can read (and see) how you've done it!

Regards Elmar

• 12-19-2011 4:43 AM In reply to

Hi elephant,

Exactly 2 clicks from one speaker, so as you say, it sounds like it's being activated by the Ouverture, and that deactivates itself immediately. I will check with a couple of my working speakers tonight, but my guess is that these only click once when being activated...strange! // Fredrik

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)