in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-17-2011 10:46 AM by Style. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-16-2011 6:06 PM

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Germany
    • Posts 114
    • Bronze Member

Beolab 4 - what is wrong? I can hear sound of my mobile phone connecting to network,,,

So I finalized my setup with a Beolab 7-1 for my Beovision 7-32, two Beolab 3 and 2 Beolab 4 in the back. 

But I have a big problem: As soon I sit down on my sofa in front of the (wall mounted) Beolab 4, I hear both my mobile phone and the iPad 3G connecting to the mobile network with a very annoying humming and ticking sound. I can not hear this sound in the other speakers. I wonder if I messed up something with the soldering, because I did the wiring of the Beolab 4 on my own. 

Can someone pleasetell me, if This a known behavior of Beolab 4 Speakers, or if this is known behavior for bad wiring. 

If noone has an Idea I will try to swap the Speakers from front to back, but this quite difficult because the Rear Beolab 4 are wall mounted. 

If it is something with the wiring, could you please give me a hunt how to solve it?

Thank you for your help

• 12-16-2011 6:39 PM In reply to

Re: Beolab 4 - what is wrong? I can hear sound of my mobile phone connecting to network,,,

there are three types of powerlink cables - which ones have you used for the cable run to the Beolab 4s ?

look at the plugs and describe the plug and the thickness of the cable

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-16-2011 8:06 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Re: Beolab 4 - what is wrong? I can hear sound of my mobile phone connecting to network,,,

I experienced this with a PC and an IPAD 2.

It may be your IPAD: Try and disconnect it if you can and see if the humming and ticking sound stops.

• 12-16-2011 10:54 PM In reply to

Hi, BeoLab 4 is not shielded, unlike most other BeoLabs, and is using ICE Power amps, both features making it more sensitive to interference/humming.

Using shielded cables will certainly improve this, my BeoLab 4000s connected via RCA input with a 10 m long cable stopped humming as soon as I used shielded cables.Smile

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 12-17-2011 1:35 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Germany
    • Posts 114
    • Bronze Member

The ipad and iphone  is not connected to anything in this room - just lying around on the couch. 

For the connection I used the very thin Powerlink cables and soldered the connectors to them - If I remember correctly these wires were not shielded.

The bad thing is, that all wires are inside the wall now - it is near to impoosible to exchange all the wires again without reopening the wall. Due to the fact, that my wife will kill me if I do so, for now we have to leave the phones on the table and turn of the 3G module of my iPad.

Now I am looking for a sulution in the (not so far) future:

Can someone tell me if this humming and clicking sounds will go away when I put the Beolab 3 in the where my Beolab 4 are located right now? Due to the fact, that they are shielded the humming should go away - right? Right now I use the same Powerlink wires for the Lab 3 as I do for the Lab 4 - but they are much shorter (4 Meters to 12 Meters)

If this is the case I will just leave it as it is for 1 year or two and buy some Beolab 5 as front speakers and put the Beolab 3 in the back.

Do you think the humming will go away with this combination of speakers? Or is it a must anyways to use shielded cables?

Here is my setup now:

• Center: Beovision 7-32 + Beolab 7-1 (Not humming+ clicking)
    • Front L+R: Beolab 3 (Not humming+ clicking)
    • Rear L+R: Beolab 4 (humming+ clicking like hell if a mobile is around)

Here is my future setup:

• Center: Beovision 10-46
    • Front L+R: Beolab 5
    • Rear L+R: Beolab 3

Will this solve the problem, or will it still be necessary to exchange the wires to the rear speakers?

Thank you for your advice!

• 12-17-2011 3:07 AM In reply to

• Style
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-01-2011
    • Posts 40
    • Bronze Member

This is classic rf interference, your long unshielded cable works as an antenna

• 12-17-2011 7:35 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Germany
    • Posts 114
    • Bronze Member

If the unshielded wires work as an antenna, the question is: will I have the same effect an my Lab 3 (which are currently perfectly fine) when I put my Lab 3 from front to back?

• 12-17-2011 10:46 AM In reply to

• Style
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-01-2011
    • Posts 40
    • Bronze Member

I would guess you will have the same problem, but test it, it might work
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)