in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-14-2011 1:37 AM by sonavor. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-13-2011 9:28 PM

Beogram CDX Repair - control buttons

I have been repairing a Beogram CDX (with help from Dillen).  The main problem was a broken (left) hinge attachment. I was able to repair that using the technique outlined by Medogsfat in this forum.  That was a really clever solution by the way.  Anyway, after I got the door hinge fixed I tested the rest of the CDX functionality.  There was a problem with the forward (>>) control button not functioning.  I removed the Control and Display PCB (PCB 6 in the service manual) and saw how the panel buttons signal the PCB. I have attached a picture of that section.  In the photo you can see that there are sockets with rubber nipples (for lack of the official name) on the back of the touch display.  Those nipples correspond to metal terminal posts on PCB 6.  On my CDX some of the terminal posts have additional contact sleeves that are used to extend the length of the post.  That is to make contact with the rubber nipples.  I noticed that the rubber nipple for the forward button did not have any indention from the terminal post (like all of the others did) so it wasn't making contact.  Moving one of the extensions to the forward button got it working again.  However, the one I removed it from now doesn't function.  I can make my own metal extender for the post but I was wondering if anyone else had CDX units with those extenders?  Also, what are those extender contacts called?  I didn't see anything like them on Mouser or Newark (or RadioShack or Fry's). 

-Sonavor

• 12-14-2011 1:16 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Re: Beogram CDX Repair - control buttons

Hi,

No, I don't have the extenders. I think they were added during a previous 'fix' but they may prevent other contacts to be correct. Have you tried removing them altogether?

Are all the contact areas clean and unoxidized?

The board has to be placed carefully and no screws forgotten!

Very nice picture by the way!

Jacques

• 12-14-2011 1:37 AM In reply to

Re: Beogram CDX Repair - control buttons

Thanks Chartz,

I did try it without the extenders but then there were several non-functioning buttons.  There is a sticker on the back of the CDX from an authorized repair shop in the area so I am thinking that the extenders might have been done at that time.  I don't know the year.  The manufacturing date for my CDX is 1986.

I did do a thorough cleaning of the unit when I initially took it apart.  In getting the control switches aligned correctly I have now taken the unit apart and put it back together enough where I think I could do it blind-folded...but I won't try.  Everything is working really good on it now and I have it hooked back in to a system.

-Sonavor

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)