in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-15-2011 10:48 PM by mjmedlo. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-12-2011 9:29 PM

Beosound 8 vs Beosound 1

Can someone tell me which produces better sound? I own a Beosound 1 for over 8 years now and was thinking of getting a Beosound 8 as well. Which is more powerful?

• 12-12-2011 10:54 PM In reply to

Re: Beosound 8 vs Beosound 1

why don't you just get a cable to plug your ipod in to your Beosound 1? Then you'll have CD, Radio and ipod!

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 12-13-2011 8:30 AM In reply to

i wanted to compare the two products and was wondering which has better sound and more powerful speakers

• 12-13-2011 9:29 AM In reply to

Taking a guess, i'd say the BS8 due to it's bigger speakers and 210w power output. Try and get a home demonstration. That's something i must do as the only place ive ever one was in Selfridges, London and it sounded very boomy with no clear treble notes. A guy next to me walked away in disgust after commenting on the lack of treble to the sales guy. (This was using my iPod with decent files).  Im completely aware of poor acoustics in shop surroundings and several people here have been impressed by the treble range of it! Arm your iPod/iPhone with some decent files and have a listen!

• 12-13-2011 10:24 AM In reply to

• Opman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2007
    • Cheshire, UK
    • Posts 323
    • Bronze Member

Another factor to consider when auditioning BeoSound8 in showrooms is to be aware of how the music is stored on the device. Is it lossless or compressed? Some may claim that they can't tell the difference, others will only want the very best quality.

If you don't know what you are comparing how can you make an informed decision?

As previously stated there is no better way of determing how good it sounds than by having a home demonstration, as Vikinger can vouch for.

Opman

• 12-13-2011 11:09 AM In reply to

Definately agree with Opman. Yep, take your own iPhone or iPod with you and indeed play with the sound settings as we all have our own tastes - I demand an incredibly bright sound with good bass, full of life whereas some purists like it flat!

• 12-14-2011 10:00 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

Having both in my current arsenal the bs8 is better.

Bs1 is rugged and I do like it. But the bs8 is just a better speaker.

However. You don't have any options but idevice with bs8. Bs1 of course has radio, cd, and aux..

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 12-15-2011 6:27 AM In reply to

• Opman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2007
    • Cheshire, UK
    • Posts 323
    • Bronze Member

mjmedlo:

However. You don't have any options but idevice with bs8. Bs1 of course has radio, cd, and aux..

The BeoSound8 has Aux input via two phono sockets and it also has mini USB socket so there are alternatives to docking an Apple device.

Opman

• 12-15-2011 6:31 AM In reply to

i had hooked up an mp3 player to the beosound 1 once but i didn't really like the sound compared to that of a cd naturally...

i do think that the beosound 1 is a more impressive machine than the beosound 8 especially design wise... but the beosound 8 is also a ten year younger product.

if the beosound 8 out puts 210w of power what does the beosound 1 output?

• 12-15-2011 8:58 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

I have had the chance to do a side-by-side of the two, using lossless files vs. the original CD.  The BeoSound 8 simply blows the BeoSound 1 away.  May I suggest something like Anita Baker's "Sweet Love".  The highs are a bit cleaner, the vocals are richer, and there is a guitar that the BeoSound 1 simply doesn't present at all.  Even in a noisy showroom the differences are stark.  The 8 similarly knocks off the BeoLab 4's, and in my opinion seriously challenges the BeoLab 4000's, as a value proposition, while admitting a weakness in imaging and staging.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 12-15-2011 10:48 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

Yes... Overlooked...

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)