in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-13-2011 1:53 PM by tournedos. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-11-2011 2:52 PM

• M.
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-01-2011
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Beo4 remote stops working after pressing 1 or 2 buttons

I bought an MX4000 today its working fine, but my Beo4 remote stops working after pressing 1 or 2 buttons, when I remove the batteries and reinsert them, it works again for 1 or 2 functions.

The batteries are new. 

Maybe the two capacitators are the problem? or is it a software problem?

Has anybody have a clue?

Thank You

• 12-11-2011 3:15 PM In reply to

Re: Beo4 remote stops working after pressing 1 or 2 buttons

I think you have an intermittent contact in the battery holders. When you fiddle with the batteries, they briefly make contact, charge the buffer caps in the remote, and they have enough power reserve for a command or two.

Notice how the display stays on for ages even after the batteries have been removed, until you press a button and the transmitter LEDs deplete the power. The brains of the remote and the display controller are actually running all that time!

Of course it could be a real defect somewhere, but there's very little you could do about that except get a new circuit board.

-mika

• 12-11-2011 3:48 PM In reply to

• M.
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-01-2011
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Thank you for your help!

Fiddeling with the batteries doesn't help, only disconnecting and reconnecting batteries helps.

Strange enough the display keeps working, but the buttons are not responding anymore after 1 or 2 buttons which connect to the television.

After removing the batteries, the display turns off directly.

Do you think changing the capacitors could do something? 

• 12-11-2011 4:45 PM In reply to

Machiel:

After removing the batteries, the display turns off directly.

Hmm... that symptom sounds like the remote might actually keep transmitting, as if a button was stuck down.

Look at the LEDs with a cell phone camera to confirm that they go off when you aren't pressing any button.

I don't think replacing the caps will do much. You should make sure that the wiring from the batteries (and their solderings) are good, and if there is any signs of battery leakage or whatever spilled on the circuit board, it should be cleaned.

Unfortunately the circuit boards weren't really designed to be serviced, there aren't any schematics around for example.

-mika

• 12-13-2011 12:14 PM In reply to

• M.
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-01-2011
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Thank you tournedos!

The remote does not keep transmitting (nice trick with the phone camera!)

I found out only certain buttons cause the remote to stop working, other buttons can be pushed endlessly without stopping it.

Do you think it could be caused by the 'bubble foil', replacing that is not near as expensive (+-€25) as changing the circuit board. Or does it really sound like a problem of the circuitboard?

I cleaned the connections of the bubblefoil and the circuitboard.

• 12-13-2011 1:53 PM In reply to

M.:
    Do you think it could be caused by the 'bubble foil', replacing that is not near as expensive (+-€25) as changing the circuit board. Or does it really sound like a problem of the circuitboard?

That's really difficult to say unfortunately, but if the bubble foil seems damaged, I guess it could cause this. No way to be sure I'm afraid.

Another option you might consider is to buy another, cosmetically damaged remote that works, and put the good parts together. The cheapest remotes usually come with a broken TV Smile

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)