in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-06-2011 5:25 PM by dudley. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-06-2011 2:47 AM

• dudley
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-05-2007
    • Posts 8
    • Silver Member

Bv7-40 3D Connection Problems

Just taken delivery of a BV7-40 3D and it was set up by my dealer.

Connected to the tv are a Sky 1TB HB box, Humax 1TB Freeview  box.

I am using a Atlona HDMI 4 by 1 switcher and to get 5.1 sound from the

Sky  box l have used a QED  Reference Digital Audio  cable connected to the SPDIF  socket  at the back of the tv.

When the dealer tried to plug this lead in it would  not fit because the shell of the male plug is bulky and the socket is partly recessed into the plastic  back panel with a very tight clearance  around the SPDIF  sockets.

To get around  this problem the dealer has used a cheap and cheerful  cable to join my expensive cable to the tv he has also used this method to connect my Beosound 5 as well.

To say l am not happy would be a understatement  why would l spend over £20,000 on this system and to have to use cheap audio cables in my set up to make the final connections what a bad design by B&O.

Any ideas what to do next would you insist the dealer took off the back of the tv and  in large the hole around the SPDIF sockets?

Filed under:
  • 12-06-2011 4:44 AM In reply to

Re: Bv7-40 3D Connection Problems

Hi Dudley

Just a very quick post whilst on the bus to work! The new sky boxes output Dolby Digital via HDMI and Toslink so now no need for a converter etc...this can be verified on the Sky website.

Regards

Stu
  • 12-06-2011 6:51 AM In reply to

• Weebyx
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-30-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

dudley:

Just taken delivery of a BV7-40 3D and it was set up by my dealer.

Connected to the tv are a Sky 1TB HB box, Humax 1TB Freeview  box.

I am using a Atlona HDMI 4 by 1 switcher and to get 5.1 sound from the

Sky  box l have used a QED  Reference Digital Audio  cable connected to the SPDIF  socket  at the back of the tv.

When the dealer tried to plug this lead in it would  not fit because the shell of the male plug is bulky and the socket is partly recessed into the plastic  back panel with a very tight clearance  around the SPDIF  sockets.

To get around  this problem the dealer has used a cheap and cheerful  cable to join my expensive cable to the tv he has also used this method to connect my Beosound 5 as well.

To say l am not happy would be a understatement  why would l spend over £20,000 on this system and to have to use cheap audio cables in my set up to make the final connections what a bad design by B&O.

Any ideas what to do next would you insist the dealer took off the back of the tv and  in large the hole around the SPDIF sockets?

Just to ask, do you think you can hear any difference? The signal is digital to digital, if you hear the sound, then you got 100% of the signal, if there are sparks and drops in the sound, then something is wrong, but you will not get a "clearer" or "better" sound using a monster high-grade ulate expensive cable rather than a simple cheap cable, if it is used to transfer digital signals.

I have the same discussion with some of my friends, one claims that he can see the difference in sharpness and color when he is using his expensive HDMI cable instead of my cheap HDMI cable!

Not to put you down or anything, but why use the expensive cable and ruin the back of your BV7 instead of the cheap cable ?

/Weebyx

• 12-06-2011 11:06 AM In reply to

I agree with the cheap cable and HDMI... Makes no difference and many external reviews will tell you the same. I have tried both expensive and cheap myself and gone with the cheap ones (eg Apple HDMI which cost 1/4 of other premium hdmi cable) and similarly the digital sound cable. I think especially with all the internal processing done by the TV etc it matters even less.
  • 12-06-2011 12:55 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

w5bno123:
    Hi Dudley

Just a very quick post whilst on the bus to work! The new sky boxes output Dolby Digital via HDMI and Toslink so now no need for a converter etc...this can be verified on the Sky website.

Regards

Stu

Hi there sorry to hijack.

Where is this on the sky website.

Can existing boxes do it with a firmware upgrade or just new ones?

Any info please I cannot find it on the web

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 12-06-2011 2:33 PM In reply to

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky-hd/picture-problems/sound-problems/dolby-digital-sound-issues/

The newer boxes support 5.1 through HMDI. The older Thompson one needs an optical to digital converter. HDMI DD has been available for about 2 years
  • 12-06-2011 3:18 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

I dont have the hdmi options such a shame I coud have lost the convertor and saved a socket :) 

PIE wonder if a software update woud enable this?

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 12-06-2011 4:30 PM In reply to

• dudley
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-05-2007
    • Posts 8
    • Silver Member

Re: Bv7-40 3D Connection Prob

As having spent  all this money and taking the time and cost to runRun in these cables 

• 12-06-2011 5:25 PM In reply to

• dudley
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-05-2007
    • Posts 8
    • Silver Member

Re: Bv7-40 3D Connection Prob

Sorry last post was rubbish,  l was using my iphone and watching the tv (csi) at the same time not a good combination.

What l was trying to say was having spent all this money on my set up and installing QED 2 x Reference cables for the sky box and the Beosound 5 and having the final hook up to my BV7 connected with throw away cables you can see l was not to happy about this.

Since my first post on this l have spoken to the dealer and he has agreed to get a replacement back panal from B&O so the holes for the SPDIT sockets can be enlarged to 15mm for clearance for the plugs. this part of the work l can do myself l will make sure the back panel is not butched.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)