in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-28-2012 8:51 PM by Jeff. 195 replies.
Page 8 of 8 (196 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-02-2011 4:12 AM In reply to

Re: The last film you watched and said "I really enjoyed that"

Really?  You should try David Lynch's version of Frank Herbert's DUNE!  Wonderful story telling! But avoid the American tv series version - dross!!!!

• 11-02-2011 8:40 AM In reply to

• wasti
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-29-2008
    • Cracow, Poland
    • Posts 112
    • Gold Member

pinkflag:

Really?  You should try David Lynch's version of Frank Herbert's DUNE!  Wonderful story telling! But avoid the American tv series version - dross!!!!

Indeed a good sci-fi movie but the book is much much better and I would start with it.

Wasti

• 11-02-2011 8:49 AM In reply to

It is indeed a very good book & probably the only one of the series that i could honestly say i 'followed', so deeply entranched in theology are they!  I think Lynch's version of the book encaspulates just about everything that Herbert envisioned & we all imagined whilst reading it!

• 11-02-2011 2:31 PM In reply to

• Jeff
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-01-2010
    • USA
    • Posts 48
    • Gold Member

Interesting, while I love the visuals in Lynch's Dune, I didn't find it a good movie otherwise. I thought the SciFi miniseries was a much better capture of the story, if not as visually compelling. Which surprised me as I am usually quite fond of Lynch's work.

Just watched another movie where I found the visual eye candy to be the best part of it, Tron:Legacy. Stunning visuals, meh story and script. Best to put it on with the sound down and play music.

The best movie I've seen lately is "Everything Is Illuminated." An amazing film that starts off very funny and ends as a sad, poignant, compelling story. Very well done and thought provoking.

Also enjoyed "Secondhand Lions" where Michael Caine and Robert Duval play a pair of crazy, tall tale telling uncles who raise their nephew. Funny and surprising.

• 11-02-2011 3:42 PM In reply to

Jeff:
    "Everything Is Illuminated."  "Secondhand Lions" 

Added to Netflix queue.

Watched "We were soldiers" over the weekend and thought it was quite good.  Recommended.

• 11-03-2011 7:24 PM In reply to

Watched Starwars a New Hope on Blu-Ray the other week and Alien2,also on Blu tonight,fab pic on the pj,so enjoyed them.

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 12-13-2011 6:20 AM In reply to

Re: What was the last film you watched & said "I really enjoyed that"

I watch the movie last time pirates of the caribbean 4 i really enjoyed dear.

• 12-14-2011 5:01 AM In reply to

Looking forward to the new/next Sherlock Holmes.

I know it is pure nonsense and nothing like the real thing, but I really enjoyed the first one !

Last week we have been renting via iTunes:

1. X-Men First Class - good
    2. Moa's Last Dabcer - interesting ... but was on free-to-air two nighst later ! (but with ads)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-14-2011 1:28 PM In reply to

• Jeff
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-01-2010
    • USA
    • Posts 48
    • Gold Member

Re Sherlock Holmes, it was pretty good, I always enjoy Robert Downey Jr. My favorite Holmes is the one done by Jeremy Brett for the British TV, he is IMO the ultimate Holmes.

For Robert Downey Jr films, my favorite is Restoration, an amazingly good film about a young, silly, weak doctor who eventually grows up into a responsible man during the plague in England. In a way kind of mirrors the actors life trajectory. Also starred Polly Walker and Sam Neil as the king's mistress and the king respectively.

I think all in all if I had to choose one favorite film (almost impossible) I'd pick Blade Runner, the directors/final cut not the idiotic happy ending original release.

• 12-16-2011 12:52 PM In reply to

Jeff:
    ad to choose one favorite film (almost impossible)

for me it is impossible to pick !

But I agree Blade Runner is high on the list.

Equally high wouid be 2001.

And there we have the two extremes - Distopia and Hope (or perhaps Ambition).

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-26-2012 4:58 PM In reply to

Intouchables (German version: Eine ziemlich beste Freundschaft)

A french movie about a very rich man in Paris suffering a tetraplegia and his personal assistant, a petty criminal out of the banlieu who didn't want to apply for this job, but by luck and cheek and having no pity with his boss (who suffered of too much pity by everybody).

At the end of this movie you'll see another "couple", a man in his wheelchair and his assistant. They are the original people who were living this story and gave the script to this movie ...

If you want to have quite a few gasps and more laughter, run to the next cinema.

• 01-27-2012 3:21 AM In reply to

Saw the latest (non-Swedish) Daniel Craig version of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" - others have commented on the number of B&O devices in the movie ... but I only spotted the BeoLab 5s -- yes they are rather outstanding Laughing

But the reason for this post, is the INCREDIBLE title sequence based on a cover of Led Zepplin's Immigrant Song ... if you have not seen the movie yet, take a look at this clip ... but crank up the volume and turn out the lights first Laughing Laughing

"Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" Title Sequence by Blur from Motionographer on Vimeo.

• 01-29-2012 6:49 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

I must admit the Sherlock film has got better after a few viewings.

This is the last film i really enjoyed and continue to do so..Great story, acting and landscapes. Very moving.

http://theway-themovie.com/

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 02-06-2012 12:18 PM In reply to

• Jeff
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-01-2010
    • USA
    • Posts 48
    • Gold Member

elephant:

Jeff:
    ad to choose one favorite film (almost impossible)

for me it is impossible to pick !

But I agree Blade Runner is high on the list.

Equally high wouid be 2001.

And there we have the two extremes - Distopia and Hope (or perhaps Ambition).

Sorry to take so long to get back to this, but you make an interesting observation. I'm very impressed by 2001, by most of Kubrick's work actually (Dr. Strangelove is a favorite black comedy). Interesting in that both of these films, Blade Runner and 2001, the subject of man dealing with his attempts at creating life and intelligence are explored. In 2001, the artificial intelligence HAL, who creepily turns out to sound like a true personality, albeit that of a child, begging not to be turned off and fearful, and the replicants in Blade Runner coming to grips with what it is to be human and have emotions. I've often thought of Roy Batty in BR as a kind of Nietschien Christ figure, he kills "god", aka Tyrell, yet forgives Deckard/mankind in the end.

I've always found intelligent films and books about man made creations, from computers to replicants, fascinating. The series "Caprica" died too early a death, it was really intelligent. The best artificial intelligence book I ever read was "The Adolesence of P1" which was actually written by an IBM mainframe architect back in the day. Best AI novel I ever read.

• 02-06-2012 12:58 PM In reply to

Jeff:
    I've always found intelligent films and books about man made creations, from computers to replicants, fascinating. The series "Caprica" died too early a death, it was really intelligent. The best artificial intelligence book I ever read was "The Adolesence of P1" which was actually written by an IBM mainframe architect back in the day. Best AI novel I ever read.

Never heard of either of them and I used to read lots of SciFi !

Others in that theme I remember are "When Harlie was one" and "The Moon is a harsh mistress"; the latter I remember more of - the concept that networked computers might reach a critical mass and achieve self awareness, and that great acronym: TANSTAAFL.

BYW I sent you an email to your PM, thank you !

• 02-06-2012 1:13 PM In reply to

• Jeff
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-01-2010
    • USA
    • Posts 48
    • Gold Member

I've read both of those, great books. I particularly enjoyed When Harley Was One, also enjoyed the Colossus books.

I remember a story, I think it was The Light At Starbows End or something like that, where they evolved these people into supermen. The line was, be very careful if you set out to creat a superman. Superman may not view the world, or you, the same way you do.

Caprica was a follow-on to the new Battlestar Galactica, it dealt with how the Cylons were created, and how they adopted their murderous version of monotheism. Very intelligent show, but sadly not enough marching shiny robots to keep the masses entertained, so it got canceled. Ah well.

• 02-07-2012 1:46 AM In reply to

Jeff:
    enjoyed the Colossus books.
    And the spin-off movie: "The Forbin Project"

Jeff:
    The Light At Starbows End or something like that
    I think that was an Asimov ? Always liked the premise of the Foundation series, a sufficiently complex statistical formula, and a sufficiently large population, and one can predict the future ... until The Mule was born :-)

• 02-07-2012 9:07 AM In reply to

• Jeff
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-01-2010
    • USA
    • Posts 48
    • Gold Member

Don't think Starbow was Asimov, though I can't remember enough to be sure. Didn't have the feel of his writing. I too loved Foundation, but it's obvious Asimov wrote it before the mathematical work in chaotic systems (aka chaos theory). Smile

The last Colossus book was interesting, they overthrew and destroyed Colossus, and it's final words were an explanation and warning. It was built to protect people from war as a defense computer, and it had sensed/discovered an impending alien threat that would require the whole human race to be unified and working towards defense, and the only way it could do that was by taking over. It's last words were to the effect of you're on your own now guys.

As to movies, I just watched "Priest" - pretty good mindless action flick, very visually interesting, based on a Korean comic I think. Better was "Stone of Destiny" - based on a true story about a bunch of Scottish college kids in the 50's who stole back the Stone of Scone from the English. Pretty good movie, strong nationalist sentiment expressed without bloody violence, which was a nice change.

I also watched a very innovative, creative vampire movie called "Perfect Creature." Very cyberpunk alternate timeline kind of film, vampires are all members of The Brotherhood, all male, a genetic accident, who view themselves as caretakers for humanity. People give blood voluntarily at the chapels, as a form of tithing, and the vampires care for and try to help humans. Until one of them goes off the deep end, lots of interesting visuals and set design, intriguingly different take on vampires.

• 02-08-2012 10:03 PM In reply to

• Jeff
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-01-2010
    • USA
    • Posts 48
    • Gold Member

Duh, Steampunk not cyberpunk...
  • 02-11-2012 2:34 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

How to kill your neighbours dog on DVD 2000 Kewnneth Branagh, Robin wright Penn, Lynn Redgrave - so so funny!

Tony

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 02-28-2012 8:51 PM In reply to

• Jeff
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-01-2010
    • USA
    • Posts 48
    • Gold Member

Trollhunter. Funky pseudo documentary in the style of Blair Witch Project or Cloverfield. Norwegian film, subtitled in English, really a delightful surprise.
Page 8 of 8 (196 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8