in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-28-2012 8:51 PM by Jeff. 195 replies.
Page 7 of 8 (196 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-07-2010 2:47 PM In reply to

Re: The last film you watched and said "I really enjoyed that"

elephant:

Had a grand outing to our IMAX theatre and saw 

A V A T A R    <<-- which after 17 days has grossed USB1.0B !!!

and I enjoyed the 3D, the sound effects, and the story with its messages about ecological disaster and military misadventures.

My sons criticised the story line for being archetypal and generic ... but they too loved the special effects.  

And the friends who accompanied us were also very positive.

The only person who did not enjoy the 3D and sounds was the missus who suffered from some motion sickness.

Anyone lese seen it ?  I could easily go a second time just to take in the special effects ...

( So how long before consumer electronics [let alone B&O] adopt 3D ??? And I suspect this movie would not even fit on a to Blu-Ray Disc ... )

Just went to see Avatar last weekend too.
    Though not in imax (makes be dizzy as well) but in a regular theater in dolby 3D 

This movie was made for 3d and it shows ...absolutely stunning!!
    3D tv's and blu ray players will be available in US end Q1 of 2010 with all major lcd and plasma producers starting to take this tech seriously.
    However, besides watching some movies or documentaries I see little benefit in this tech.... Not sure I would make such and investment to watch the news or a cheap romantic comedy in 3D....

They split usually split the image in 2x720p images in order to make it work... and you still need dorky glasses ....
    I can only see it work if it is implemented quickly by all manufacturers and kind of comes with your new tv by default and at no (or minor) charge. 

• 01-07-2010 8:42 PM In reply to

cooldude:
    implemented quickly by all manufacturers

except our favourite :))

cooldude:
    3D tv's and blu ray players will be available in US end Q1 of 2010 with all major lcd and plasma producers starting to take this tech seriously.

this made me feel old as in out-of-date ... I did not even know this coming so soon !

I have been reading up on it ... http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=33376

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 01-08-2010 6:00 PM In reply to

elephant:

cooldude:
    implemented quickly by all manufacturers

except our favourite :))

cooldude:

this made me feel old as in out-of-date ... I did not even know this coming so soon !

I have been reading up on it ... http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=33376

Try cnet.com to see a little more on the new 3d screen.

And Elephant .... don't worry too much about being out-of-date. The upcoming 3d screens will be faster out-of-date than a any good 2D one.

As an interior designer I work on several home-theater installations a year and I have been shown a demo 50" 3d lcd screen and a glimps of a (32" I think) Oled screen. The 3D screen was just fine... but the 2D oled just blew me away and felt more real and more convincing.

Present (!st gen) 3d technology is just based on existing tech and is nothing revolutionary. Even a 3d blu-ray player (of which only last december an agreement has been reached between all the people concerned) will (at best!!!) only show a dual 720p image.

The questions is if you really want to be sitting in front of your tv with an (in my case extra) pair of glasses on to watch the sports or newscasts.
    I do see the benefit for action movies and certain documentaries. Also alot of people that have game consoles would love to play some of their games in 3d. But in everyday, regular use ?.... not convinced of the benefits.

I have both a pioneer kuro and a panasonic plasma and though they are not new, there is still not much out there that comes close to the image quality and uncompromised black levels of these sets in HD. (drawback being that they are more reflective than lcd screens). 
    We just watched the last star trek movie on blu ray the other day...... simply a delight to watch on a good plasma :)

• 02-02-2010 4:29 AM In reply to

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420223/

"Stranger than fiction"

• 02-02-2010 10:26 AM In reply to

Although Avater is visually stunning i found it quite boring to watch the best films ive seen recently was

Hurt locker - stunning an surround sound

The wrestler - mickey rourke is amazing

looking for eric

• 03-04-2010 8:14 AM In reply to

Well I'm not the biggest sci-fi fan, but I really enjoyed Avatar. Visually, I thought it was fantastic and I too saw it in 3D (is there a non-3D version?). The acting was good too in my opinion, or at least when the characters were actually human!

As for 3D being implemented into TVs, there is actually a technology I have been looking into that doesn't require the "dorky glasses" to work. It's difficult to tell whether 3D TV will pull off, but I'm sure the gaming industry will have a go in this area soon.

• 06-06-2010 6:47 PM In reply to

• Lagom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • New Orleans
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

Before Sunrise (1995): two strangers meet on a train and try to get in as much time together before sunrise.

Before Sunset (2004): this is the sequel, and the characters reunite in Paris nine years later.

Serial Mom (1994): This movie has a wicked sense of humor.

• 08-05-2010 10:55 AM In reply to

Inception

Its a brilliant film, I've waited over 1 year from seeing the first trailer until seeing the final movie...

The soundtrack is also really good and my 5's love it :-)

Best regards

Stephan

• 08-05-2010 12:23 PM In reply to

Stephan:

Inception

Its a brilliant film, I've waited over 1 year from seeing the first trailer until seeing the final movie...

The soundtrack is also really good and my 5's love it :-)

Best regards

Stephan

Looking forward to see that one as well.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 08-09-2010 4:50 AM In reply to

I saw Inception for the second time this weekend, in my 36 years on this planet I never watched a film twice in the cinema...

The second time was also good because you can connect the dots you just miss the first time you see it.

This movie is really epic in my opinion and what cinema is all about: Clever & intelligent story, beautiful pictures and bombastic sound.

Don't read anything about it, don't watch a cheap internet rip, go to the cinema and enjoy

Best

Stephan

• 08-10-2010 4:40 PM In reply to

Moon

This space oddity by David Bowie's son reminded me to Solaris by Stanislaw Lem and to 2001 Space Odyssey by Stanley Kubric and to Silent Running, but it's got an individual new plot.

I recommend this movie ...

iPoditiv thinking twice before believing in a simple, clean, politically and ethically clean solution to any problem of mankind

• 01-08-2011 6:26 PM In reply to

• beoblok
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2008
    • Finland
    • Posts 80
    • Bronze Member

Kynodontas, or by it's English title, Dogtooth. Greek film from 2009 totally worth it

• 01-08-2011 10:06 PM In reply to

iPoditiv:

Moon

This space oddity by David Bowie's son reminded me to Solaris by Stanislaw Lem and to 2001 Space Odyssey by Stanley Kubric and to Silent Running, but it's got an individual new plot.

I recommend this movie ...

hmmm I returned "Moon" as an unwrapped christmas present and exchanged it for the latest Sherlock Holmes (which I enjoyed as much as the latest modernised into 2010/11 era that British TV has been doing)

but I wish I had remembered your recommendation !

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 02-26-2011 6:27 AM In reply to

Been to the cinema last night and watched 'True grit'. Great movie and great acting, especially by Jeff Bridges.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 02-26-2011 4:32 PM In reply to

I watched a range of SciFi trailers last night with the volume cranked up

the trailers (and probably the movies) had no redeeming social or philosophical values

but "I really enjoyed that" deep bass effect from rockets, laser blasts, and explosions on the BeoLab 11

of course I then got into trouble from the missus Laughing

which is why I then tuned to "Carmen" on 'sTVdio' ... but that's another post :-)

• 04-28-2011 11:36 AM In reply to

RED

B&o content as well!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-30-2011 8:22 PM In reply to

Battle: Los Angeles.

• 05-01-2011 1:33 AM In reply to

XavierItzmann:

Battle: Los Angeles.

LOL that is exactly the movie, the trailer of which I was talking about a few weeks ago ...

elephant:

I watched a range of SciFi trailers last night with the volume cranked up

the trailers (and probably the movies) had no redeeming social or philosophical values

but "I really enjoyed that" deep bass effect from rockets, laser blasts, and explosions on the BeoLab 11

of course I then got into trouble from the missus

• 05-01-2011 1:48 PM In reply to

elephant:

I'll have to agree to that

elephant:
    but "I really enjoyed that" deep bass effect from rockets, laser blasts, and explosions

And I'll agree to that, too!

• 05-10-2011 6:09 AM In reply to

• Tayne
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-31-2007
    • Posts 23
    • Bronze Member

The last film i watched and said wow? The King's Speech of course! A masterpiece!

• 05-10-2011 7:52 AM In reply to

Tayne:

The last film i watched and said wow? The King's Speech of course! A masterpiece!

Agree - also watched the other night a documentary called the "The Real King's Speech" ... very worth watching once you have watched the movie.

But the latest movie that we all have watched and enjoyed was ..... "THOR" (but not in 3D)

• 07-16-2011 8:00 AM In reply to

The Dark Knight !!

BC2 DAB, Lab 1, Lab Penta, beo4, beocord 1101.

• 08-05-2011 12:35 PM In reply to

Chasing Legends!  Film following Mark Cavendish's HTC film through the 2009 Tour de France.  Gripping, entertaining - you feel like one of the riders!  Excellent!

• 08-05-2011 12:58 PM In reply to

a week ago ... Captain America 

but no signs of exploding B&O 

• 11-01-2011 6:24 PM In reply to

Today:

2001 - A Spacy Odyssey

Still the best SF movie I've seen ...

Page 7 of 8 (196 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next >