in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-03-2011 6:15 AM by henrik. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-01-2011 4:42 PM

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Posting issue

Dear Beoworlders,

For certain members on Beoworld, namely the ones with a high post count (like me), posting
    in the Beoworld forum has become quite difficult and troublesome.
    The problem is that whenever a post has been written and the Post button is clicked, the forum
    server goes into orbit. The poster has to wait until the server times out and the Beoworld
    forum help page is shown. Then, the poster has to go back and retype the post
    (or re-paste for us that have come to the conclusion that writing everything in a text editor first and then
    copy/paste it to not lose every written word, is necessary) and then add whatever photos etc. were in
    the post and then click Post again.
    Sometimes it works the second time, often after some waiting, other times a message is shown to
    the effect of eliminating double posts, that is in the case where the database actually acknowledged the
    first post attempt but the server still managed to time out.
    (The technical terms above may not be 100% accurate but the experience and effect is).

It has been like this for a long time and, initially, I didn't think it would be a huge problem for me and I decided
    that I could live with it but it has turned out to be quite time consuming and frustrating in the long run.
    I have found that I simply cannot be bothered to post as much as I did previously. Choosing what to
    comment on and what not to, based simply on what I can be bothered to wait for, is not my preferred way
    of doing things and, as of tonight, I am no longer willing to waste time on this.

The above mentioned issue does not seem to affect PMs though, so members wanting to contact
    me, please use the PM system or send me an email.

I really hope the issue will be fixed very soon but until that, I will post no more in the forum.

Martin

• 12-01-2011 4:52 PM In reply to

Re: Posting issue

I agree 100% Martin. I have the same problem much of the time. Very frustrating.

Regards Graham

• 12-01-2011 5:38 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Dillen:

I really hope the issue will be fixed very soon but until that, I will post no more in the forum.

Bad news, but I do agree it's slightly ironic we're on one hand having a deabte about paid-for membership and expensive prizes, but on other hand have core posting issues which should have been resolved. I have similar issues where, when I post, I get "The Beoworld FORUM, MEDIA GALLERY and BLOGS are currently unavailable". That happens, often :(

• 12-01-2011 7:32 PM In reply to

I am experiencing no problems posting from a computer, iPhone, and iPad.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 12-01-2011 7:52 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

I notice a slight delay ( 10 seconds ) when I click POST, before my subject reply is actually appears online.

At first I thought this might be attributed to my BT keyboard, or perhaps being behind the Alps, non-EU, etc.. I discovered later this was a normal condition attributed to the mechanics of the Beoworld website. No other problems to report.

• 12-02-2011 2:17 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:

I am experiencing no problems posting from a computer, iPhone, and iPad.

It's probably a routing issue for *some* users. Mostly it works, but often you get that unavailable message.

• 12-02-2011 3:54 AM In reply to

Dear Members,

Allow me to fully explain the issue which first started showing up just over a year ago.

Firstly, not all members will see the problem. The members most likely to see a problem are:-

• Those who have a posting total above about 3000
    • Those who post to long threads which have more than about 50 replies.
    • When two or more members are trying to post to the same thread at the same time such as the Wednesday thread

The actual error condition which you do not see is a Microsoft SQL "Command Timeout" which by default is set to 30 seconds which is built into the Telligent Community Server and cannot be changed.

Until last July we paid a lot of money to Telligent to receive technical support and I spent months (greater than 6) working with them to get a resolution, but the only solution finally they could come up with was to upgrade to their latest version. I did upgrade on a seperate database which the Wednesday thread now runs on every week and has done so for about 6 months. Whilst it appears to provide an improved service, it still fails in the same way from time to time and I felt it still was not a total solution. The moderating team run on yet another version seperate from the main forum and the Wednesday thread, but whilst much better, still not a complete solution.

Much discussion has taken place between the moderators about the issue and to be frank we are all very frustrated particularly me, about the situation. Whilst this is really the first time we have publicly discuss the issue, a considerable amount of time and money has been invested to finding a long term resolution.

About two months ago, I proposed that I build a new Beoworld database from scratch using the latest available software version and effectively start the forum over again and make the current forum "Read Only" with links back from the new version to the old read only forum.

What this proposal means when implemented is that every posting ever made will still be available to all members for reference and you would still be able to link to any posting from the new forum, but all new postings would be on this new database. We would also put the new forum on its own faster dedicated server which would no longer be in the US.

So, where have I got to in implementing this proposal ? Due to my other work and family commitments, so far I have only managed to build the basic SQL database. My next step is to configure Community Server software to use it in the same way as we use the current forum which is not a minor task.

In conclusion, Lee, myself and the moderating team want to offer our sincere apologies to those members who have been suffering with this on-going issue. I will keep you updated with progress from time to time and may ask some members to become testers during beta testing of the new forum structure.

Regards Keith....

• 12-02-2011 8:00 AM In reply to

Dear Keith

Thanks a lot for all the work you do for our Community. I think everybody will understand the necessary change as long as you keep us informed when and how the change will be done. Good luck!

Best regards

David

• 12-02-2011 1:49 PM In reply to

• Neil
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • UK
    • Posts 34
    • Gold Member

Keith,

Many thanks for the continuing hard work you perform for Beoworld. It is very much appreciated.

Neil. 

• 12-02-2011 4:19 PM In reply to

Many thanks to your work and best wishes for success in the future

iPoditiv - not yet been affected by any problem on this forum

• 12-03-2011 12:30 AM In reply to

• valve1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Dublin Ireland
    • Posts 213
    • Gold Member

Its impossable to fully appreciate the the work that goes into this forum behind the scenes - but fair play to all involved !

• 12-03-2011 6:02 AM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

Thank you for all the time you "invest" in this, Keith! I know that you are doing a great job. Community Server seems to be a really frustrating system! One expects to get a good system when actually paying money for it, but it seems to be much more complicated than for example cheap options like Vbulletin (a great system, if you ask me, with a big customer base and user-to-user support).
  • 12-03-2011 6:15 AM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

Sorry for once again complaining about the forum software! :) It's just so frustrating to read about the problems that you encounter with the technical aspects of the forum, since the user experience also is problematic - I still haven't found one single advantage in the user experience of the CS forum software compared to the more popular systems. Instead I miss quite a lot of functions that I'm used to use on discussion forums,and there also seem to be quite a few technical issues and the forum is also quite slow. I really love Beoworld, but I'd probably be much more active if the forum would work as a "normal" forum. I feel a bit ashamed by complaining about this once again, but i really wish that you would something like vbulletin instead :)
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)