in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-23-2011 2:22 AM by DoubleU. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-01-2011 4:28 PM

• Chris
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-09-2010
    • Last of the Summer Wine Country, Yorkshire, UK
    • Posts 195
    • Gold Member

Apple Time Capsule as media server

Is it possible to use an Apple Time Capsule as a media server? I am thinking about playing music direct from Time Capsule to Airport Express and onto my Beosound 8?

Thanks.

Beosound 8, Beotalk 1100, Beocom 4, A8 Headphones, Form 2 Headphones, Apple iPhone 4S, iPod Classic, iPad 1, Sky+ HD, Sony Playstation 3, Jacob Jensen T10, Lutron Rania IR Dual Dimmer/ Accesory dimmer, B+O A9 Keyring (SOLD), Beolit 600 (SOLD), Apple Airport Express, Beo5

• 12-21-2011 6:50 AM In reply to

• Lanny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Posts 17
    • Bronze Member

Re: Apple Time Capsule as media server

TimeCapsule is not accessable directly by Airport Express.  How did you imagine it would work?  The way I do it is that I leave my iMac on (screen dimmed), airplay to AE and use the sound plug on it to connect  to my BeoSound 8.

• 12-21-2011 7:02 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-09-2010
    • Last of the Summer Wine Country, Yorkshire, UK
    • Posts 195
    • Gold Member

Hi Lanny,

Basically, that is how I am doing it at the moment. I use the remote app on my iPhone/ iPad to control iTunes.

My music collection is about 60GB and my laptop HD size is 120GB so wanting to free up some space and play iTunes music direct from Time Capsule to my AE and Beosound 8.

Beosound 8, Beotalk 1100, Beocom 4, A8 Headphones, Form 2 Headphones, Apple iPhone 4S, iPod Classic, iPad 1, Sky+ HD, Sony Playstation 3, Jacob Jensen T10, Lutron Rania IR Dual Dimmer/ Accesory dimmer, B+O A9 Keyring (SOLD), Beolit 600 (SOLD), Apple Airport Express, Beo5

• 12-21-2011 2:08 PM In reply to

Chris:

Hi Lanny,

Basically, that is how I am doing it at the moment. I use the remote app on my iPhone/ iPad to control iTunes.

My music collection is about 60GB and my laptop HD size is 120GB so wanting to free up some space and play iTunes music direct from Time Capsule to my AE and Beosound 8.

So why don't you move/change your collection to your Time Capsule? (iTunes: Preferences > Advanced)

• 12-21-2011 3:15 PM In reply to

DoubleU:

Chris:

Hi Lanny,

So why don't you move/change your collection to your Time Capsule? (iTunes: Preferences > Advanced)

Agreed - but the Macs have to stay powered on 

If the Time Capsule presented a DLNA interface to the wireless network then you would not need the Macs on ... but it does not 

But even if it did, the browsing would be via the file system and not the iTunes database which remains on your Mac

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-21-2011 4:43 PM In reply to

I know, Mac needs to stay on. But at least Lanny can free up some space on his laptop. Smile

• 12-21-2011 5:17 PM In reply to

DoubleU:
    But at least Lanny can free up some space on his laptop. Smile

Absolutely ! 

And that's my Christmas project too now that I have activated the iCloud 

(only down side is not everything was transferred ... turns out my free samples from Last.FM are not accepted by Apple ... better check my Linn downloads too .............)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-22-2011 7:53 PM In reply to

Charging my ATV2 with aTV Flash (black) was my Christmas project, but I'm already done. Too easy! Cool

It now plays all kinds of videoformats direct from my Time Capsule, without using iTunes or conversion with Handbrake. Nice interface too.

• 12-23-2011 12:13 AM In reply to

DoubleU:
    Charging my ATV2 with aTV Flash (black) was my Christmas project, but I'm already done. Too easy!

glad to hear that !

I gave up after reading about teathered / un-teathered options ... which way did you go ?  Do you have LION as your OSX ?

• 12-23-2011 2:22 AM In reply to

For now it's tethered, unfortunatly. ATV is brand new, so I couldn't downgrade. But as long there is no power failure, I should be good. My Mini (Leopard) is sitting next to my ATV, so tethering is not too bad. As soon there is an unthetered version available, I'll probarly move/sell my Mini. The ATV as mediaplayer is awesome.

My iMac runs on Lion, though.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)